is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 8:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    And this is the kind of socialized medicine that Obama and friends point to as the successful ideal. Ugh.>:\ List me as your third party insurer, send me the cash plus 5$ and I'll pay for it. Checks payable to The Kintanon Practical Insurance Group.
    It's good for certain things (mostly catastrophic stuff and pregnancy), but it's by no means a panacea. If it were a true two-tier health care system (government provides comprehensive health care, but you can pay to jump the queue at private facilities), it'd be gold.

Hopefully the optometrist visit will be more productive.
    Yeah, here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by dumblucky View Post
    Russ - while you're waiting for your biochem class to start, have you seen this:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm

It's the course material for a number of MITs classes. Good sections on biology, chemistry, and brain sciences. The way you research, it might be worth a look through.
    I'd forgotten all about OCW. I tried to use one of their EE classes as a supplemental resource for one I was taking... the material wasn't very clear at all, but (hopefully) that varies from class to class.

Quote Originally Posted by dumblucky View Post
    In the meantime, I hope you start to feel better.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <Farnsworth>Good news, everyone!</Farnsworth>

The physio I saw this morning? Let me put it this way. The dude's got a signed Bill Kazmaier poster in his examination room.

Something's wrong with my left knee's lateral meniscus (probably a tear), and my left elbow's ulnar collateral ligament has a mild second-degree sprain along with the swollen ulnar nerve. I suspect the two are related.

Also, my fancy BIA scale has arrived, and my calipers and tape measure made it across the border.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe we're letting the Canucks import weapons grade calipers through our borders now. What has the world come to?!
    How do the new scales numbers compare with the old scale? Any idea how you're going to manage the calipers and tape yet? Are prostitutes legal in canada? You could pay one 20 bucks to take your measurements. She'd just think it was a weird fetish....

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 9:41pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups for the futurama reference.

How go the post concussion symptoms?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 10:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do the new scales numbers compare with the old scale?
    Haven't powered it up yet. I might keep weighing myself with the old scale for a while to get some idea about that, though.

Any idea how you're going to manage the calipers and tape yet?
    I think I should be able to manage them on my own. With the calipers, it depends on what sites I measure (haven't decided yet - any suggestions?), and the tape measure's got some fancy way of one-man operation.

Link to the equipment in question:
    Accu-Measure calipers
    Accu-Measure measuring tape
    Old scale: Taylor 5563
    New scale: Omron HBF-500

And a digicam on a tripod. The body composition photos aren't going to be as consistent as I'd have liked (if anyone's got any suggestions as to how to take proper body composition photos, I'm all ears), but they're better than nothing.

Are prostitutes legal in canada? You could pay one 20 bucks to take your measurements. She'd just think it was a weird fetish....
    in kingston everything's legal, man (as long as you don't get caught)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
    How go the post concussion symptoms?
    They're coming along, slowly. Still waiting to get in with an ophthalmologist.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 8:28am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your body comp Photos you should do the following things:
    1. Mark a couple of Xs in tape on the floor, one set marking where your feet are for a front on picture, the other for a side on picture.
    2. Mark an X on the floor for your camera location.
    3. Pick out a set of clothes (or not, whatever floats your boat) that you will take the photo in and always use the same clothes.

That will ensure that you get a consistent photo and can easily compare them.
    For the Calipers I think upper arm, stomach, and inner thigh are the 3 sites my doc did when I was wrestling. Supposed to give a good overall impression.

For the scales, I suggest weighing in on both scales for a week so you can compare the numbers, just to get an idea of what the variation between them is. More for curiosity than any practical reason I can think of though....

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 8:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your body comp Photos you should do the following things:
    1. Mark a couple of Xs in tape on the floor, one set marking where your feet are for a front on picture, the other for a side on picture.
    2. Mark an X on the floor for your camera location.
    3. Pick out a set of clothes (or not, whatever floats your boat) that you will take the photo in and always use the same clothes.

That will ensure that you get a consistent photo and can easily compare them.
    The ideas are good, but logistically they're not feasible at this point. If I owned my own camera and residence, I'd have a grid on the wall, foot markers, and the camera wouldn't move for the course of the study.

In terms of stuff I do control, though:
    -No variation in (lack of) clothing or lighting.
    -I can probably scale the photos by height or wingspan, given that neither of those parameters will change.
    -Pictures from the side are probably a good idea.
    -Do you know if there are standardized poses for taking body composition shots? I did the arms out at my side, palms-forward thing for the trial run.

For the Calipers I think upper arm, stomach, and inner thigh are the 3 sites my doc did when I was wrestling. Supposed to give a good overall impression.
    Yeah, that should be doable on my own (although upper arm might be tricky).

For the scales, I suggest weighing in on both scales for a week so you can compare the numbers, just to get an idea of what the variation between them is. More for curiosity than any practical reason I can think of though....
    That's the plan. It's not like I'll be throwing out the old one, so I can weigh in on it whenever it suits me.

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 10:10pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously dude, GET YOUR OWN CAMERA. They cost like 79$ for a 5 megapixel ones. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194R608/...0&linkCode=asn Is a perfectly good camera for what you want to do. Just put it on a stool (put a x on the stool w/ tape to mark its location.).

And do you not have a bathroom to do your pictures in? Body comp should be taken in the AM before you do anything else.
    You should do 4 pictures, Facing forward hands at side, facing forward arms spread, facing left or right arms at side, facing left or right arms straight in front of you.

You might also take a 5th with you facing away from the camera.

To do upper arm caliper measurements you hold your arm out straight, slightly bent at the elbow, and pinch the tricep area.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 12:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously dude, GET YOUR OWN CAMERA. They cost like 79$ for a 5 megapixel ones. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194R608/...0&linkCode=asn Is a perfectly good camera for what you want to do. Just put it on a stool (put a x on the stool w/ tape to mark its location.).

And do you not have a bathroom to do your pictures in? Body comp should be taken in the AM before you do anything else.
    At present, my top-priority goal in life has nothing to do with body composition studies and everything to do with finances, so I'm going to try to make do with the equipment and space that I have. I'm already getting savage buyer's remorse over the money I've spent so far.

The pictures are not going to be precisely the same, they're going to be approximately the same, and I think that'll be good enough.

You should do 4 pictures, Facing forward hands at side, facing forward arms spread, facing left or right arms at side, facing left or right arms straight in front of you.

You might also take a 5th with you facing away from the camera.

To do upper arm caliper measurements you hold your arm out straight, slightly bent at the elbow, and pinch the tricep area.
    Probably doable. I might toss in a vanity pose too for my own nefarious purposes.

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 8:08am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Approximate?! What kind of science are we doing here! *grumbles*
    I might buy you a fucking camera.... Depends on how this month goes.

Keep this thread updated, I wanna know how this is going.
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast