Posted On:
    3/02/2009 1:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Foot Feather View Post
    http://www.elitewarrior.net/hollywood-combatives

It at least seems like a good starting point to work toward your blue belt. The curriculum seems to be set up to where if you really work hard at it and have some natural ability, you can earn your blue belt in 4-6 months.

It's right on Sunset Blvd., just near La Brea and Legends MMA (another place I'm thinking of checking out as they have an MMA "skills" class; Eddie Bravo is teaching out of there now too).

Where in SoCal are you?
    Victorville/Barstow area, 30min out from San Bernardino. I got Thomas Denny's Universal Training about 2min away, Joe Stevenson's Cobra Kai about 10min away, & Craig Buchanan's BulletHole gym w/ BJJ & REALLY good Muay Thai about 15min away, plus there's a Gene Lebell black belt about 10min the other direction over by my old house. Surprisingly, the High Desert has alot of opportunities to train.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 2:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Victorville/Barstow area, 30min out from San Bernardino. I got Thomas Denny's Universal Training about 2min away, Joe Stevenson's Cobra Kai about 10min away, & Craig Buchanan's BulletHole gym w/ BJJ & REALLY good Muay Thai about 15min away, plus there's a Gene Lebell black belt about 10min the other direction over by my old house. Surprisingly, the High Desert has alot of opportunities to train.
    Yeah, no kidding...that area sounds rich in great MA training as well.

I actually grew up in Riverside.

Love the SoCal desert!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dealing with your bodies reaction to the knowledge that you are in grave danger is a very important part of legitimate combative training.

I would prefer you take the course created by Peyton Quinn, but I think he retired.

Still, even 3.5 hours is enough to learn the problem, and learn how to use the things happening as a help rather than a hindrance.

I do not believe the program stands on its own, but I do believe it will teach you to deliver a very powerful blow, when you are in danger. Kano himself felt that a powerful atemi was vital as the first step in real combat.

Its just my opinion, of course you should do what you feel best.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 7:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't done MM or the Gracie Combatives program. But I have done Judo/Jiujitsu and Redman suit drills. So take my advice for what it's worth.

Redman suit stuff seems good for getting in some live practice against a resisting opponent. And it certainly can give you some adrenalin to work with. But, IMO, rolling and randori do all that and more, and do it better. I see redman stuff as being a "next best thing" for when you can't free spar/roll.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 7:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the "old days" we did both. The Atemi was used during randori.

Uke was padded, tori was not....

The goal was to strike, throw, finish and run. Detroit Judo club trained a lot of cops that way in the day.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The blue belt you get isn't a real one. It is a money making scheme.

The sport stuff works because you're training against skilled people who know what they're doing as opposed to scared and flabby yuppies worried their BMW is going to get jacked if they mistakenly come across someone with extra melanin.

You're already training MMA, why waste your time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went through the combatives course from a trained combatives instructor. That being said, I don't claim any training in BJJ. I don't claim any rank from a gracie. I also don't claim to have any belt color in BJJ or combatives. They have to option to get that belt, but I don't really know why anyone would really care.

Personally to the op here is what you will get from this program. You are going to get a lot of basic techniques that are used in most good ground fighting systems. You will also get a system of self defence that is being adopted by a lot of law enforcement communities as well as the army. That will be a great starting point for you to go on to other things. It will give you a great idea of what you should be looking for in a good school. You may like this school, but go in understanding that you are getting the basics so don't plan on staying too long. Get the training becuase it is nice to have it under your belt(white) when you need it. Then if you like it, go to a BJJ school. If you don't like it, find something else. I wouldn't say the program is a money making scheme. But I would agree that the belt ranking is. That was why I didn't pursue it. You are going there for the training, not the ranking.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 2:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    The blue belt you get isn't a real one. It is a money making scheme.

The sport stuff works because you're training against skilled people who know what they're doing as opposed to scared and flabby yuppies worried their BMW is going to get jacked if they mistakenly come across someone with extra melanin.

You're already training MMA, why waste your time.
    You do bring up a great point that I've been considering.

So do you think I'd be better off training at Legends MMA as a "base" and then perhaps look into supplementing it with some sort of "street-defense" training?
    Last edited by 6 Foot Feather; 3/02/2009 2:23pm at .

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'd be best served by JUST TRAINING AT ONE OF THE BEST (public) MMA GYMS IN THE WORLD.

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing you need from Gracie Combatives.

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 2:59pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Foot Feather View Post
    You do bring up a great point that I've been considering.

So do you think I'd be better off training at Legends MMA as a "base" and then perhaps look into supplementing it with some sort of "street-defense" training?
    Why are you worried about the street defense training? Do you get into lots of street fights now? If not ,are you planning some sort of lifestyle change where you will be getting into lots of street fights?

Most people will go through there adult lives without having to deal with anything more dangerous than harsh language.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast