Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone doing the Gracie Combatives program?

I'm looking into training at a Gracie-certified center in L.A. that teaches the Combatives/Blue Belt program.

I've been racking my brain over finding a practical self-defense program. It seems like every MMA school around L.A. only gets into the sport aspect, and although I know it can be helpful to do additional cross-training with Muay Thai, boxing, judo and wrestling, I want to devote my time to a program that actually emphasizes street defense.

In most street situations, you're probably not going to be getting into an MMA bout (in addition, I don't want to go to jail for beating someone's face in), so it seems like the Gracie Combatives would at least be an effective starting point.

Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 2:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to YMAS. 6 Foot Feather, you registered long enough ago to read the forum descriptions.
    Shut the hell up and train.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 3:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Moved to YMAS. 6 Foot Feather, you registered long enough ago to read the forum descriptions.

I don't like this "calm, early Spring weather, lazy Sunday afternoon" jnp response

I prefer the "3:30 on Thursday, middle of Winter", goddammit another 3moose1 thread" jnp response.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie combatives is a great starting point. Go for it! It should be enough for you to get a good taste of BJJ so you will know what avenue you should follow after. Then again, you might just want to stay there.

That program is really going to depend on the instructor. Some of them get that certification and then just do their own thing. If he is teaching the system, it should be good. It will have lots of basics and good applications. You will be rolling pretty soon. I think it is exactly what you are looking for.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is encouraging to hear!

The instructor is the only one who is currently certified by the Gracies in the L.A. city limits. Though he is listed on the Gracie site as a Level 1 instructor, I spoke to him on the phone (I'm moving to L.A. from Virginia soon) and I got a great vibe from him. He also mentioned that he stays in close contact with the Gracies since they are just down the freeway in Torrance, CA. His site has the Combatives program outlined, so I'm guessing he's going to be teaching the exact system as the Gracies teach it.

I can imagine myself taking the occasional trip down to Torrance as well to do some training with the Gracies themselves and get submitted by black belt level BJJ!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO....

You are better off finding one of those "model mugging" type schools with the "planet head" guys in it first.

That course will get you to deal with the adrenal dump and other things most schools leave out.

Fast Defense is the name of one of the program.

Once you have that down, then take a program you enjoy and will continue to keep your skills up.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 8:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Foot Feather View Post
    That is encouraging to hear!

The instructor is the only one who is currently certified by the Gracies in the L.A. city limits. Though he is listed on the Gracie site as a Level 1 instructor, I spoke to him on the phone (I'm moving to L.A. from Virginia soon) and I got a great vibe from him. He also mentioned that he stays in close contact with the Gracies since they are just down the freeway in Torrance, CA. His site has the Combatives program outlined, so I'm guessing he's going to be teaching the exact system as the Gracies teach it.
    What's the site?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 10:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    What's the site?
    http://www.elitewarrior.net/hollywood-combatives

It at least seems like a good starting point to work toward your blue belt. The curriculum seems to be set up to where if you really work hard at it and have some natural ability, you can earn your blue belt in 4-6 months.

It's right on Sunset Blvd., just near La Brea and Legends MMA (another place I'm thinking of checking out as they have an MMA "skills" class; Eddie Bravo is teaching out of there now too).

Where in SoCal are you?
    Last edited by 6 Foot Feather; 3/01/2009 10:09pm at .

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 10:35pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    IMHO....

You are better off finding one of those "model mugging" type schools with the "planet head" guys in it first.

That course will get you to deal with the adrenal dump and other things most schools leave out.

Fast Defense is the name of one of the program.

Once you have that down, then take a program you enjoy and will continue to keep your skills up.
    Would that sort of thing be effective?

I could see that there could be some benefit... Once you get past the point in sparring where you get used the idea that someone is trying to you, then you can calm down a bit. On the other hand, Fast Defence seems to be a 3.5hr course.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 11:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe View Post
    Would that sort of thing be effective?

I could see that there could be some benefit... Once you get past the point in sparring where you get used the idea that someone is trying to you, then you can calm down a bit. On the other hand, Fast Defence seems to be a 3.5hr course.
    Yeah, I'm skeptical of these "overnight" self-defense things; I'm frankly annoyed by them: "Learn to stop any attacker in only two hours!"

What I like about the Gracie program--other than the fact that it's actually been proven without dispute--is that you have to earn that blue belt through showing up for class and sticking with it.

The "quick fix" mentality is dangerous IMHO. You might find yourself trying to bite and gouge, but if it doesn't get the job done, you better have a real base of training to draw from to control your attacker.

I appreciate what Paul Vunak said on his latest DVD: "You should be at least a purple belt in BJJ before you even think about biting."

A purple belt can take, what, like 3-5 years to earn? That's years of real training before you should attempt something that a lot of these "overnight" frauds recommend you use on the street.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast