Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How's ARMA?

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong forum, but the search fxn doesn't work for me. Anyways, anyone know if ARMA is legit? Looks pretty interesting, and I want to give it a go, but it'd be nice to know if it's BS or not before I try it.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 6:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadler, I think this forum is more appropriate for your question.

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 6:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit: Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 6:28pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An experienced ARMA group well tend to have legit source material and hard sparring. However, a lot of them tend to not have prior full contact experience, so to some degree you'll be re-inventing the wheel, especially when it comes to grappling(None of the austin-folks really have wrestling skills, so obviously the interpretation of Ringen is going to suffer)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can say from long experience that few other HEMA associations have much of a problem with ARMA's methodology, which is considered to be a generally sound combination of scholarship and realistic training via pressure-testing, including a great deal of full-contact fencing, test-cutting, etc.

Bearing in mind that individual ARMA groups have their own areas of special interest and focus, it's still worth mentioning that many other (non-ARMA) associations tend to focus on the revival of particular historical schools/styles, i.e. the works of individual masters-at-arms. From that point of view, "legitimacy" is kind of in the eye of the beholder. ARMA's more historically eclectic approach has been controversial in the past; personally, I think it's completely valid in its own right.

I do think it's a shame that ARMA has become largely cut off from the broader HEMA movement within the USA, especially. Unfortunately, a strong "us and them" mentality has developed; IMO this is mostly due to ARMA (then HACA) founder John Clements having burned bridges with virtually every other "major player" in the field while that field was still being established.

Overall, and again bearing in mind that individual ARMA groups may or may not be typical, I'd rate ARMA highly for their athleticism and full-contact fencing, average for their ringen (unarmed combat), average to below-average for scholarship.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 8:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what else is there?

There's ARMA

and the DoucheLarps

and what else?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you really not know?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:45pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither do I.

Is there anything ARMA or other HEMA in Northeast Illinois or Southeast Wisconsin? My searches turned up nothing. This stuff isn't as out there as you think, DDLR, so we would appreciate any info you'd be willing to share.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK then. There are about 180 HEMA groups and societies linked to from this page - http://www.lacplesis.de/links.html . I can't vouch for all of them as being DoucheLARP-free zones, but of the ones I recognize, the great majority have no interest in role-playing and simply train serious HEMA. Most of them focus on the Renaissance era styles; ancient Greece/Rome, 19th century MAs, etc. have many representatives as well.

Briefly, there are literally hundreds of legit. HEMA/WMA groups other than ARMA.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast