Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 6:03am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Haksaeng
    Dood, Mr. Miyagi are you selling those trampolines? That post was in a knee injury thread I was just reading. LOL :)
    Heh! No Im not, I just like them heaps. And it avoids like stacks of strain on my knees which can get sore after like 15-20 mins of running. So like on that tramp thing I can do like 20-30+ and not get sore, and it feels fun to bouce :D. Plus I can play my cd and it doesnt jump :p.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you workout 7 days a week and you are having trouble LOSING weight ????
    I would be burnt out on THAT schedule !!!
    All the power to you man.
    If you can workout like that, why are you gonna lose weight ???
    How did you hurt your knee ?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have tendonitis in my knee. Sprained my ankle this time last year and took two months off. After the ankle healed I got back into it hard. Probably too hard. Started running and going to MA class. Tried to catch up to everything that I missed and jacked my knee. Since then I've been babying it. Stopped running but I still go to class. Probably a bad idea. I saw a doctor and he confirmed that I do have tendonitis. Said to stop jumping and there is a lot of jumping in 7 star praying mantis. So there is the problem. Decided last night after class that I'm gonna take the rest of Jan. off and see how I feel on Feb 1. That's about it. Sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 10:59am

Style: Jing Jun Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn, man. that does suck. i hate it when i have an injury that i can't train through, like a major leg thing.are you doing any sort of physio for it?

btw, on nutrition, i agree with the general populace. bigger breakfast, healthier lunch.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by virtual_mantis
    I have tendonitis in my knee. Sprained my ankle this time last year and took two months off. After the ankle healed I got back into it hard. Probably too hard. Started running and going to MA class. Tried to catch up to everything that I missed and jacked my knee. Since then I've been babying it. Stopped running but I still go to class. Probably a bad idea. I saw a doctor and he confirmed that I do have tendonitis. Said to stop jumping and there is a lot of jumping in 7 star praying mantis. So there is the problem. Decided last night after class that I'm gonna take the rest of Jan. off and see how I feel on Feb 1. That's about it. Sucks.
    Injuries are usually a sign to "slow down".
    Go for qualty NOT quantity.
    Tendonitis is usually a sign of "overuse" when athletes get it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 12:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, probably pushing too hard. I've got this all or nothing mentality that will probably be the end of me. I'm gonna lay off for a bit and see how I feel next month. thanks for the input.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 12:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by FingerorMoon?
    Try the RANDY DIET !!

Team Quest is making it popular.
    Buy the book The PH miracle
    http://www.thephmiracle.us/
    (available from Amazon as well)
    Wow, this sounds kinda gross have you tried it? does it work?

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sticking stubbornly to that kind of schedule will indeed be the end of you. One of two things. As you noted, you'll fall off the wagon completely because it's become so mentally burdensome to keep up such an obsessive schedule, or you'll render yourself *physically* unable to do the things you want. One of those will happen sooner or later gauranteed.

Both are unfortunate and avoidable.

Having said that...don't actively try to "burn off" your calories. Your body consumes plenty as it is without all that activity. All you have to do is give a few less than it needs. But that means accounting for the calories you eat and making note of how many it takes to gain, lose, and maintain. In fact with your schedule or activity and eating (very little), I'm certain that you're cannabilizing the very tissue responsible for a great deal of your resting metabolism and favorable body composition...your muscle itself.

I did the same thing some years ago with an obsessive schedule. I lost 15 pounds on the scale but my body fat % didn't change. That means, by my reckoning, I lost one pound of muscle for every pound of fat. Bad news. Oh, and then I spent about a year battling cold after cold after cold.

But the weight loss question here is just a red herring as far as I'm concerned. Your entire approach, though I empathize with it completely, is counter-productive, dangerous and unsustainable.

You really, truly need to take a very long break from this and use that time to read, research, and put together a sustainable game plan. This isn't supposed to satisfy you emotionally (for the ambitious that means having to "doing something" every single day) it's supposed to improve you physically...measurably. Injury RESISTANCE is one important part of general fitness, and if you're already incurring tendonitis and joint problems, you're really going down the wrong road.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I shove fistfulls of cheez-its into my mouth all I can safely say is that it isn't at all about what you eat, it is all genetic potential.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2004 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by keinhaar
    You really, truly need to take a very long break from this and use that time to read, research, and put together a sustainable game plan. This isn't supposed to satisfy you emotionally (for the ambitious that means having to "doing something" every single day) it's supposed to improve you physically...measurably. Injury RESISTANCE is one important part of general fitness, and if you're already incurring tendonitis and joint problems, you're really going down the wrong road.
    I guess I've know for quite a while that this is what I need to do. Thanks for the input.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast