Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So my wife wanted a gun of her own

So my wife and I are out to breakfast the other day as I got off of night shift for the month and a guy I had just arrested a month or so ago comes into the IHOP we were at and approaches me. long story short he really didn't threaten me or anything in fact he was very polite and wanted to thank me for " helping him turn his life around".

Anyway, after the guy leaves my wife immediately turns to me and says she'd like to get a handgun of her own, you know..for personal defense and whatnot. "oh be still my beating heart"( tears of joy)

so after we get her a pistol permit and everything we go down to the local gun shop and they allow her to try out a few different weapons at their indoor range. she finally settles on a Bersa thunder plus .380.

I'm more of a 1911 guy myself, though my department carries glock 21's and I've come to really like the glock. but I really didn't know much about the Bersa line of firearms at all. but after shooting the thing I really was impressed with it. I was wondering if anyone else around here had much experience with the Bersa thunder series and what your opinions are as a whole.

also because the gun shop we were at gives all LEO and military personell discounts I bought myself a Smith and Wesson airweight .38 to carry as a backup weapon on duty.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious as to why your wife suddenly decided she wanted a gun?
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP; saying it, how it is!

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 10:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So she can deal with people who interrupt her breakfast?

Maybe she figures the guy came over to get a better look at her, and thought it prudent to have more of a defence than wait & hope if she sees him hanging around again.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 10:23am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone seems to like the Bersa. Inexpensive, reliable, and fairly accurate. it ain't a walther or even a beretta, but it gets the job done.

I've played with the m at the range. and I like 'em. Never failed to fire or blown up in my hand.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 11:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it wasn't a sudden dicision to get the gun, we had discussed it before but the incident with the guy approaching us like that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

I've always been of the mindset I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it, so she finally caved in and went for it.

Thanks for your opinion about the Bersa and yeah i realize it isn't a walther or anything but for the price it seemed like a decent enough weapon for a first time handgun owner/user.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've never heard anything great about them. but, on the other hand, i've never heard any complaints either.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 7:07pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I just got my fiance a gun after trying a few out we ended up settling on a .357 S&W 1 1/2" j frame hammerless. loaded with Hornedy tap .38's

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember reading something about a year ago on some site I trust that CorBon's DPX was the .380ACP load to carry. A quick visit to Google turned up this:

Bersa Thunder .380 with Corbon 80-gr. DPX Ammunition

The page itself doesn't look familiar, but I think that must be the article I'm thinking of (and I certainly trust that site).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 12:02pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you let her shoot the S&W airweight (not with +P at first though)? Mad_malk has a point: While the Bersa isn't a bad choice, neither is a snubnosed revolver in either .38 or .357. The only issue there could be recoil, so that's why I think letting her shoot yours first isn't a bad idea.

Also, since you are a LEO you can get a LEO tag here on Bullshido. Contact one of the mods and they will give you more information on the process.