Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 5:27pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Sadly training with Scott you had no choice but to develop a seoinage, LOL. Yea that lapel grip Ippon to Osoto is murder.

LOL the progression of Larry telling you I can hear in my head. I love that guy. I still have the clinic he did in Lafayette on VHS and refer to it often. I call it my bible.
    Every time Scott did that low seoi my head would skim the mat as I flipped over. Scary. I think there's some ESPN footage of Scott doing that to me prior to the 96 Paralympics.

Anyway you can post the Larry clinic on youtube? I'd love to see it. Larry liked to separate the tall people from the short people in practice and have us work on different throws... Judo apartheid!

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 12:15pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for this. Your observations match the ones I've made in other throwing sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Judobum View Post
    Drop seoi-nage. [...] I tend to use this as more of a set-up throw into an ankle pick.
    Speaking of ankle pick/throw combinations, this worked a treat for me in wrestling:

YouTube - KOLAT.COM Single Leg Come Up To Inside Grip Hip Toss

... how would you approach it in a Judo match (re: scoring rules, jacket gripping)?
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 9:35pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good combination and works good for no gi. With the gi an ouchi or kouchi to seoinage or ogoshi would be a more productive than changing levels like that.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 11:59pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Thanks for this. Your observations match the ones I've made in other throwing sports.

Speaking of ankle pick/throw combinations, this worked a treat for me in wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cc7tyjGLx0

... how would you approach it in a Judo match (re: scoring rules, jacket gripping)?

No throw/combo for no-gi. Unfortunately I don't think it'll work in a gi environment. The problem with singles when you have a gi on is that your entire back is now a handle. No-gi your opponent can't grab your back/shoulders and push you off very effectively. Wearing a gi they can. It's a nice slick move but you'd probably get stalled in the single since your opponent's most likely defense will be to grab the back of your gi and sprawl out effectively eliminating any chance of the stand up into the hip throw.

It's interesting looking though and something I think I'll play with if I get a chance to do some big boy judo in the next few weeks (just teaching kids classes right now due to time constraints). Nice move though, thanks for putting it up.

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately I don't think it'll work in a gi environment. [ ... ] grab the back of your gi [ ... ]
    Many of my favorite no-gi techniques present this problem. For example, I favor a deep underhook during clinch fighting, but in the gi my opponent can reach down to grab my belt in the back with the hand of the underhooked arm and thus stuff my leverage on that side.

Another thing that causes me fits in the judogi is the long sleeves. My only jacket wrestling experience prior to BJJ was shuaijiao (which uses a short sleeve jacket), and man I hate grip fighting with judoka.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of my favorite no-gi techniques present this problem. For example, I favor a deep underhook during clinch fighting, but in the gi my opponent can reach down to grab my belt in the back with the hand of the underhooked arm and thus stuff my leverage on that side.

Another thing that causes me fits in the judogi is the long sleeves. My only jacket wrestling experience prior to BJJ was shuaijiao (which uses a short sleeve jacket), and man I hate grip fighting with judoka.

It's definately different. You need to be a bit slower and more methodical. As your gripping improves it gives you more of an advantage though once you learn to control the grips.

I like the deep underhook as well and don't find that side arm coming over my back to be much of a problem. He can only hold the belt for five seconds or so (judo rules anyway). In modified/no rules randori with unlimited belt holding if he does that, switch your underhook to a shallow over hook and shoot a single on that side. It's a nice little move that should work there.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Necro, FTW!

3) Drop seoi-nage. The default throw for a short guy.
    I've been having some success with the morote seoi-nage:

YouTube - Morote-Seoi-Nage

... which is a favorite of one of my instructors, Lucas Lepri, who has us work it often in class. I think I've taken to it because the grip and fit-in are similar to one of my better shuaijiao throws:

YouTube - shuaijiao LaChuai CANADA CHINESE WRESTLING SCHOOL

Do you have any tips for training this throw? Watching competition footage, I see it set up with ko-uchi-gari quite often. Would you recommend any other sweeps for the setup? Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    morote seoi-nage tips
    I got a morote seoi-nage tune-up tonight from a Judo black belt who cross-trains with us at Alliance.

He went over the Judo way that works well against an upright opponent (yank lapel and arm up, footsweep, then turn into throw for ippon, follow with juji-gatame if appropriate), then explained that it's hard to get it that way in BJJ tournaments because players come out crouched down like wrestlers. In that situation he recommended pulling the other fellow forward and to the side, spinning to knees like a drop seoi-nage while pulling the opponent more laterally and hip switching into side control as he lands. Very slick, now all I need to do is practice a few thousand repetitions...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with morote seoi-nage vs ippon seoi-nage is that you're more locked in. If it goes bad, you're screw where with ippon seoi-nage you can release and escape easier.

Morote is also harder if you've got bulkier shoulders since it's harder to get into proper position. It's definately an upright throw and usually gives you a higher arc and nicer finish than ippon seoi though.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/25/2009 11:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12