1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 9:50am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"The Triangle" by Rigan Machado

This book and DVD combo kick ass. Aesopian recommended it to me several times and I finally got it from Budovideos.com

The pictures in the book are very clear and easy to follow it has an absurd amount of triangle setups. I didn't realize there were this many entries. To me the real value is the DVD which I expected to be worthless after I saw how good the book was. But both are quality additions to your library. I would have paid the $29 for either one.

The nicest surprise is that at the end of the DVD there is footage of several world class grappling matches and Rigan does the Play by play telling you how each one entered the triangle.

I give it a 9 out of 10, it would get a 10 of 10 if I understood the brasilian accent better...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 11:28am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get it here:

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I don't get affiliate fees for advertising this book like I do. I just bought I copy and it rocked, and Budovideos has the best deal on it.

Here's one of my many reviews of it. I think I posted this on Sherdog originally:

Originally posted by Aesopian
    The book and DVD The Triangle by Rigan Machado is an AWESOME resource for triangle chokes, and even BJJ in general. It's probably one of the best BJJ books overall, with tons of techniques (usually several variations of each one, e.g. 4 different triangles from the mount), simple and clear descriptions, and very illustrative, extra large pictures. It also has exercises and stretches you can do to work on flexibility specifically related to the triangle. It also has drills you can do to improve your triangle mechanics. It also covers how to handle counters to the triangle. It also covers the other end of the triangle, with escapes from the choke. The DVD has something like 18 techniques and drills demonstrated, as well as at least an hour of competition footage (Mundials, Pan-Ams) commentated on by Rigan.

And all this for $30.

Basically, it rocks. It will help your triangles. I picked it up at Budovideos.com: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=291&page=1
    Whiteshark, I'm very happy you are getting so much out of this book. It looks like it has helped you like it helped me, with regards to suddenly seeing all the opportunities for triangles. I used to NEVER see how to get the triangle. Someone would have to just stick an arm out of my guard and give it to me. After reading through this book (and I've only just got into it really. There are dozens and dozens of techniques to cover), I've started seeing triangles EVERYWHERE. You can do the triangle to counter any sort of guard pass, as a follow-up to my own guard pass, from north-south and side mount, top or bottom, from rear mount, off of failed armbars, flying triangles, triangles from every guard. It's mind-blowing how many opportunities for the triangles exist, once you know what you're looking for, especially after you learn the variations, such as the reverse triangle. ****, just yesterday I found an ARMLESS triangle in this book. Yeah, "armless" as in they have BOTH arms outside the choke. How fucking cool is that?

I've also found this book+DVD has helped my BJJ in other regards, especially my closed and open guards, since it offers some of best insight into different aspects of grappling.

I'm used to Brazilian accents, so I give it 10/10.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know where I can get it in PAL format?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 12:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a book, it doesn't have a format...

Seriously I know you are talking about the DVD but it's worth it for the book alone.

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah ???
    Well I order the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BJJ !!!
    SO there !!!!!!!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 1:12pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Look what I bought this weekend:

• Best Judo by Isao Inokuma
    • The Canon of Judo: Classic Teachings on Principles and Techniques by Kyuzo Mifune
    • Russian Judo (Masterclass Series) by Alexander Iatskevich
    • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Submission Grappling Techniques by Royler Gracie
    • Passing the Guard: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu : Details and Techniques by Ed Beneville

I'm also going to get Judo in Action, the reprint of Dynamic Judo, but I'm still looking for better prices.

Also found the rest of the Masterclass series, and I'll be ordering at least the following, if not the full 14 books:
    • Armlocks by Neil Adams
    • Grips by Neil Adams
    • Osaekomi by Kashiwazaki
    • Pick-Ups by Van de Walle
    • Shimewaza by Kashiwazaki

Awyeah.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 11/08/2004 2:41pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 1:33pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHarber
    Anyone know where I can get it in PAL format?
    The book alone is worth the purchase. And you can try changing the region on your computer DVD player, can't you? I've done that before.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this book available in stores?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 7:29pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen it in any bookstore, and I've look at every Martial Arts shelf I've come across. You could always try having them order it for you, thereby skipping the shipping charges.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 11/08/2004 7:32pm at .

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 8:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question about the triangle -

Whenever I try to set it up from the guard I get guard passed when I bring my leg up.

Is this because I forget to secure the arm first (Which I do?)

Is the first move to secure the arm?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast