Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 5:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tae Kwon-do Vs Weight training

Ok so heres the story i was in TKD for 4 months and having a great time as i love martial arts fighting sports and fitness, it came to the summer ( of 08 ) and someone in my class told me it was off for 3 months so like a fool i believed him and didnt go it has been 6 months since iv been and i do really wana go back because i love martial arts and i know the importance of self defence i just need some motivation to get my ass down there....

iv also been working out 5 days a week 1 and a half hours of weight training and iv never been it better shape ... the real question i need help with is THE GYM OR TKD?
    Last edited by rossi; 2/26/2009 5:17pm at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 5:21pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What markers of fitness are you using to say you "...have never been in better shape?"

You need both.

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    What markers of fitness are you using to say you "...have never been in better shape?"

You need both.
    I can lift more run faster and last longer then ever before

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 9:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well man as long as youre training hard and not just going through the motions TKD will keep you in great shape you just wont be getting huge in the process. You will get a lot of good lean muscle though if you actually manage to get off the couch and keep up with your work out. In the end man you just gotta want it. I think though once you break your "seal" so to speak youll remember why you started and keep up with it. But just like KOD said, you do need a measure of both TKD and Gym if you wanna make the most of your time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 10:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just work in both for your schedule.

i'd also suggest maybe trying out a different school or martial art before you go back to your tae kwon do. if you were so easy to believe there was a 3 month break maybe it's your subconscious saying you are bored. that is my psych 101 analysis haha.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 11:30pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand wher eyour coming from before I ditched TSD I had the same problem dude just go to the gym to get ripped and join muay thai or BJJ instead. training for something that generally doesnt work is a waste of time and money good luck and just do what feels right{ still ditch the TKD or crosstrain.:new_scatt

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 2:12am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really enjoyed and "loved" TKD so much than why are you asking people to convince you to go bacK? WHat was your goal in taking TKD in the first place? MOst people seem to take an MA for 1 of 3 main reasons 1-learing to fight/defend 2-exercise&fitness 3-artistic interest/"spiritual development". From what you say the gym keeps you in shape. So you're probably not motivated to train in TKD because it's not offering what you're looking for in either fighting skill or artistic interest. Maybe you should try another art. IF it's fighting skills you're looking for TKD may not be the most applicable. Boxing and BJJ are proven for producing fighters.
    IF its a personal interest issue maybe you can find an art that is more interesting to you than TKD, sample several arts and pick the one you find most interesting. If you're already in great shape from the gym keep going. If you really want to practice MA you'll be able to shift your schedule to do both. Since I started school full time I started lifting at 5:00AM to give me time to practice and study after school. It sucks & hard to motivate myself sometimes too, but whatever.