Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 3:43pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Greek/ Hoplite Spear and shield?

I've been curious about spear and shield techniques for a while but mostly since I've re watched Troy and 300. Most of what I can find video wise is boffer larp crap or people attempting to imitate the movies in very unrealistic ways. I have no illusions about epic duels but I have to assume that there were certain techniques that were practiced just like any other combat weapon. Also I am sure that since spear and shield was mostly used by troops in formations that there was little focus on single combat aspects and when it did get to that point the spear was probably dropped and a sword drawn, but when you think about hoplite groups and skirmishers they went in with spear and shield as well as other thrown and melee weapons so there had to be some sort of training that was oriented towards single combat even if it wasn't as prominent as it became with the sword. Aside from the chinese spear fighting vid I posted in the CMA forum, which was two handed spears, I've only been able to find guys in replica armor flailing at each other with varying levels of skill and aliveness.

YouTube - Allen teaching Hoplite shield and spear

This one looks like they are trying to imitate the movie Troy. No speaking or narration.

YouTube - Boeotian Shield Usage

Guy seems to have a decent idea of mechanics of using a shield. Some vids of shield construction in his channel.

YouTube - lucha individual

Sadly the closest I could find to any sort of "alive" spear and shield stuff that didn't involve cardboard shields and foam weapons, though other vids in the channel have foam tipped weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spartan307

This guy has a decent collection of documentary vids on several different warrior cultures definately worth a look. Haven't had a chance to watch them all but have seen the ones about the battle of Thermopoly before and it seems to be based more around historical reality than legends and fantasy.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 2:38am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sometimes work a steel buckler into the mix when sparring with weapons. Shields are neat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 5:24am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that the only techniques we might ever glean at are from shards of pottery dating from Ancient Greece, mostly. Despite being an overly popular weapon in the past, by the time fechtbuchs even began, the spear & shield armament combination was relegated to peasants, which I doubt where taught anything but basic formation drills.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always purchase Cold Steel's Self Defense with a Spear, which is funny in itself

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 4:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't the Phalanx depend more on training men to fight as part of a unit as opposed to fighting individually?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 6:04pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll ask some of my friends in Athens if they know of anyone doing this sort of thing with any degree of seriousness. The closest project I can think of off the top of my head, especially for single combat, is the Italian effort to revive gladiatorial combat:

YouTube - Ars Dimicandi - i Gladiatori
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 11:01pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    I'll ask some of my friends in Athens if they know of anyone doing this sort of thing with any degree of seriousness. The closest project I can think of off the top of my head, especially for single combat, is the Italian effort to revive gladiatorial combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDCOILg_9QY
    Watching the guy use the trident and net seems like it would be similar to using a shield and spear at least as far as using a pole weapon one handed. What are the "rules of engagement" for that kind of gladiator competition?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    What are the "rules of engagement" for that kind of gladiator competition?
    "Try not to kill each other."

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 10:06am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    What are the "rules of engagement" for that kind of gladiator competition?
    I can't tell you much. I tried to set up a training session with some of these guys the last time I was in Rome, but it didn't work out so I ended up training parkour instead.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast