232797 Bullies, 3538 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 6:57pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    I never understood this logic from the Dems, and that's as a fairly liberal Dem myself.

They'll scream and shout all day to keep government out of their bedrooms and uterusesisis, but have no problem letting Big Brother into their gun safes.
    It shouldn't be surprising, "liberals" (anything but) believe that Government is the means to solve all social problems. They fail to grasp the fact that the Second Amendment was put there as the ultimate remedy for keeping unwanted people out of their bedrooms, in all senses of the phrase.

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    It shouldn't be surprising, "liberals" (anything but) believe that Government is the means to solve all social problems. They fail to grasp the fact that the Second Amendment was put there as the ultimate remedy for keeping unwanted people out of their bedrooms, in all senses of the phrase.

Its a curious and common delusion.

The activist left thinks government should solve all social problems.

The activist right thinks it should solve all moral problems.

The radical middle never looked so good.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:19pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We really need an effective libertarian party.

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll have to be built from the ground up. NO WAY is it going to succeed on a national level without deep and broad grassroots support.

[Satan]You ever think about running for office?[/Satan]
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh, if this is true, it's a very bad tactical thing for Obama to do since it would make him lose a lot of popular support. It would also validate a lot of the crazy far right things that the NRA has been saying about him. I think I'd wait for additional information/confirmation myself just because it seems like an extraordinarly counter-productive self-defeating thing for him to do.

EDIT: Also, if the prospect of the Obama administration re-instating the "assault weapons ban" bothers you, IMO instead of complaining about it here, the best and most productive thing to do would be to fax or email the president telling him that you are strongly opposed. That would be the most constructive.

EDIT 2: I notice that the article title is slightly misleading. The title is that Obama seeks assault weapons ban, whereas the content of the article is that Holder seems to be the one who wants it the most.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/26/2009 8:36pm at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'd wait for additional information/confirmation myself just because it seems like an extraordinarly counter-productive self-defeating thing for him to do.
    Really? Psssst...how bad did it hurt Clinton?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The upcoming turmoil might be exactly what is needed for someone not affiliated with either party to win the presidency. Someone akin to Ross Perot, but without the Mickey Mouse voice.

I doubt that a fully realized third party will win numbers of national seats any time soon.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Clinton didn't need to rescue the economy, repair foreign relations, and he fucked up healthcare.

I just sent a note to Obama:

Dear President Obama, according to an article posted by ABC News about five hours ago, your administration will seek to re-enstate Bill Clinton's "Assault Weapon Ban". I sincerely hope that this is not true, and I would urge you to avoid seeking restrictions on American firearms ownership during your administration. Besides for any philosophical objections to gun control, I would point out that gun ownership is an extremely divisive issue that many Americans, including myself, have very strong feelings about. I feel that if any sort of firearms restrictions or bans were enacted by your administration you would lose a significant portion of your current popular mandate as America's president, and that the probability of your success in dealing with various difficult issues such as current foreign relations and the economy would suffer because you would no longer enjoy as much unifed support from the American people. By seeking any additional restrictions on gun ownership you increase the risk of failure in other crucial issues that would require the support of a popular mandate for success. It is not worth it to jephordize your planned reform of health care or your rescue of the economy over the re-instatement of the arbitrary, nonsensical, and unnecessary "assault weapons ban", especially since gun control is such a divisive and emotionally charged fundamental philosophical issue which could potentially unify certain groups of Americans against your administration. Thank you very much for your kind consideration.
    I'd urge you all to do the same thing. My mom always says that you don't deserve to bitch if you didn't take any steps to make something better.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:51pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    In absolute terms, not much, but some. It's broadly popular. Even most gun owners support it. But only a microscopic fraction of the people who support it actually really care, whereas a much larger (tho still small) percentage of people are extremely opposed. So politically, it costs him a little bit and gets him nothing.

It's also a stupid law.

Bad move overall.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    In absolute terms, not much, but some. It's broadly popular. Even most gun owners support it. But only a microscopic fraction of the people who support it actually really care, whereas a much larger (tho still small) percentage of people are extremely opposed. So politically, it costs him a little bit and gets him nothing.

It's also a stupid law.

Bad move overall.
    I agree.
    That's my point. I was hoping WR would pick up on that instead of, the other political stuff I'm not debating in the Armory.

it seems like an extraordinarly counter-productive self-defeating thing for him to do.
    It was the language not the sentiment I disagree with.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast