Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 2:33pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

She wants a gun....

So, my fiancee is in the process of joining the Rochester Police Department. Due to some physical fitness issues (re: shin splints) she failed her physical exam for this year's academy. She plans on retrying next year. However in the interim she is looking to get a head start, take some martial arts and get in some range time.

She has only fired a gun a few times years ago. I have extensive experience with rifles and shotguns but no handgun experience. So both her and I plan to start from scratch.

She also wants to purchase as her first gun the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45ACP as it is the service weapon the RPD uses. While I do not think she would have an issue controlling a .45 I worry that the cost of the gun, and ammunition would make shooting enough to become proficient prohibitive.

As for the martial arts, I plan on coercing her into Judo as it is both cheap, and widely available.

So, my questions for you oh gun nuts are these: Should she start with the PX4? How expensive is ammunition going to run? Can it be bought in bulk, and for roughly how much? Is there a better gun given the information stated above? What pearls of wisdom would you like to impart?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    So, my fiancee is in the process of joining the Rochester Police Department. Due to some physical fitness issues (re: shin splints) she failed her physical exam for this year's academy. She plans on retrying next year. However in the interim she is looking to get a head start, take some martial arts and get in some range time.

She has only fired a gun a few times years ago. I have extensive experience with rifles and shotguns but no handgun experience. So both her and I plan to start from scratch.

She also wants to purchase as her first gun the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45ACP as it is the service weapon the RPD uses. While I do not think she would have an issue controlling a .45 I worry that the cost of the gun, and ammunition would make shooting enough to become proficient prohibitive.

As for the martial arts, I plan on coercing her into Judo as it is both cheap, and widely available.

So, my questions for you oh gun nuts are these: Should she start with the PX4? How expensive is ammunition going to run? Can it be bought in bulk, and for roughly how much? Is there a better gun given the information stated above? What pearls of wisdom would you like to impart?
    I would have her fire a .45 first to see if she can control it, especially if she is not a big person. I would start with a 9mm for her and then move up to the .45 Berettas are nice, I have one, but I think that the Sigs or the Springfields are better weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    I would have her fire a .45 first to see if she can control it, especially if she is not a big person. I would start with a 9mm for her and then move up to the .45 Berettas are nice, I have one, but I think that the Sigs or the Springfields are better weapons.
    She's a big girl, there's a thread around here on the subject.

5'10 220, wightlifter. I have no doubt she will be able to control a .45 but I do like the idea of taking her to a range to try one. Only issue being I can't find a range in Rochester that rents guns to shoot.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah she'll be fine with a .45. Check with your local gun store or gun club. They might have an idea of where you can go that will allow you to rent a handgun wile using the range. Maybe in or near Buffalo or if you want to take a trip, you can go to PA or Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll ask around. I'm sure there is a range in Rochester.

I'd like to eventually apply for my CCW so I would most likely end up with a smaller gun in addition to her PX4 as they are HUGE guns.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .45 ACP is rather expensive, but perhaps you can buy reloaded cartridges, or reload them yourself. Myself, I just bite the bullet (har) and spend what I need to spend to do what I want to do (e.g. practice for a specific reason) but at the same time I don't go shooting all the time.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 11:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyukido, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't profess any kind of knowledge about this at all, but it seems to me if you were planning on getting a smaller firearm for CCW and she wants a bigger firearm to familiarize herself with the tools of her future job, that kinda' solves your problem.

Your non-compensatory, totally rationally sized handgun can feed a less expensive round than her knock-them-on-the-ground-with-a-sucking-chest-wound gun. You can swap around so everyone gets plenty of marksmanship practice and she still gets her hands on the tool of her trade, right?

Infidel

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 1:17pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 1:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no doubt that she will be able to handle the .45. If she would learn to shoot something with a little less recoil, proficiently, it will make it easier to learn to shoot the .45.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    I have no doubt that she will be able to handle the .45. If she would learn to shoot something with a little less recoil, proficiently, it will make it easier to learn to shoot the .45.
    This was my thought as well. I wanted to pick up something in 9mm. I figure it's inexpensive, widely available (much like Judo) and we both can shoot a bunch while saving up money for the "Sucking Chest Wound Death Cannon"(tm)

I'm thinking about looking around and seeing what I can find used at a good price. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, or flashy, just dependable and hopefully cheap.

However, her father has instilled a stigma in her against 9mm. She thinks it's a "gangster" or "punk" round. I don't understand, but whatever.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast