Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

After some advice

Hi go to kickboxing class twice a week. Monday and Wednesday. I do weights Tuesday, Thursday and Firday. Full body workout covered over the 3 days. Im 5.6" 78kg. Want to get down to about 10% body fat. I don't want to put on Muscle mass but want muscle and am looking to improve speed and power.

I have changed my weights routine this week to the following. Am I doing too much? To all other kickboxers out do you weight train and whats your routine? What do you recommend I should do on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday?

Monday
    Kickboxing Class

Tuesday
    Dumbbell Fly’s
    Dumbbell Fly’s full incline
    Barbell bench press
    Incline bench press
    Military Dumbbell Press
    Fly Extensions
    Straight arm dumbbell extension
    Backup. Opposite to a sit up.
    Lower back extension (barbell)

I do 4 sets of 10 for each exercise.

Wednesday
    Kickboxing Class

Thursday
    Dumbbell Curl
    Hammer Curl
    Preacher Curl
    Cable Machine Curl
    Pull ups behind head
    Bent over cable row or use barbell
    Cable row. Sitting
    Cable pull down
    Cable pull down with rope.
    Lay down dumbbell pull over. Hold onto the plate.
    Dumbbell Extensions. Knee on bench
    Dips

Friday
    Squats
    Leg press
    Hamstring curls
    Dumbbell lunges onto bench
    Leg Extensions

And do this at the end of each weights day.
    Weighted twist on decline bench
    Medicine ball throw sit ups

Was going to do Bass Ruttens tape on a Saturday morning as well. Starting with Mui tai and then moving to the MMA tape.

Also Im thinking of doing ju jitsu on either a saturday or sunday after the football season finishes. I watch don't play.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:08am

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your weight training split looks pretty good. I'm not sure if you were listing all the possible exercises you could do on each day or if you were inferring you do every exercise listed. If so bring it down to 3 or 4 lifts per workout but then change which exercises you use every two weeks. This means more sets with each exercise. Dumbell rows would be a great exercise to incorporate on Thursday. Power cleans would be excellent if you know how to do them. And straight leg dead lifts would be a good thing to add on leg day.

sets of ten reps is not going to be the best for gaining strength. Five sets of five would be far more beneficial. Or you can go even lower than that. I love doing 8 sets of 3 reps, but definitely switch up your reps/sets from time to time. And no you aren't going to wakeup one day with 20 pounds of muscle mass that slowing you down in your martial arts training.
    Last edited by fightclubfreak7; 2/26/2009 7:12am at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing them all in 1 day. Was going for muscle endurance and thought it might also improve my hand speed because I wasn't really struggling to make a set i.e. cable curl would be good for my uppercut. Weight against my action. Like shadow boxing with weights. Do you know what mean?

What combination would you use for each day? What goes well together for week 1 and week 2?

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 7:47am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok... looks like you are doing a bodybuilding style workout with bodybuilding reps and sets. This is fine, if you are doing it for bodybuilding. Are you?

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 4:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No im not bodybuilding. Just wanted to make sure I was getting a full body workout. I would like to cut my weight sessions down and fit more cardio but don't want to neglect one body part. What sort of plan can i use? I converted my shed into a gym. Got most stuff in but haven't got a squat rack so I can only squat what I can lift over my head.

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 6:10am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you need to change the reps and sets then to something like 3x5 or 5x5, and lift heavier weights. Look at Starting Strength http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki or stronglifts http://www.stronglifts.com for a strength programme, and do front squats rather than back squats, or build yourself a squat rack, or learn the Steinborn lift...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    god fucking dammit, don't these new posters read the goddamn stickies?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris