Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:13am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealknife View Post
    Just got this the other day. This is the first pistol I've owed, and it'll probably be the last for a good several years.
    Yup. Just keep her clean, and shoot only factory-spec (this includes good quality reloads) ammo, and you'll be fine. I used to have one of these pistols back when they were known as the HS2000 (and 150 bucks cheaper), and it never failed to work.

Another thing I really like is the trigger. From the factory it's nice and crisp, compared to my roommate's sigma. Does anybody know anything about how to make triggers on those things lighter?
    How light? You can replace a trigger spring with a bit of work, but do you really want to compromise the reliability of the gun? There are some pretty hard primers out there (such as the CCI ones), and I'd rather not mess with the power of the firing pin / striker.

I know of several folks who monkeyed around with their triggers, and ended up using only ammunition that used Federal brand primers (the softest), since the reliability had been compromised.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 10:48am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is actually a "match package" XD you can get with a set of rails, a modified trigger, and a higher grade barrell - the XD(M)

It's worth the 60$ or so difference is people are telling me.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 1:44pm

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, at this point I'm not really willing to replace the spring yet. Right now I'm more interested in buying ammo. Went to Walmart the other day and all they had were .22lr and a few boxes of .40, which I bought all of.

I think I'm going to try and buy some in bulk. Thanks for all the help and everything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 3:39pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you thought about loading your own? With the cost of factory ammo these days, you could easily shoot 2-3 times the amount of ammo for the same money spent.

The barrels of the XD40's have fairly tight chambers, and decent brass support, so you'll get several loadings out of each brass piece.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 4:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about it actually, but I'm pretty new to firearms and it would make me nervous, especially since .40 is higher pressure. Once I have read into it more I'll consider it. I mean don't you need presses and special sets of tools and such?

I just ordered a stainless steel guide rod, mostly just because I thought it would add a little character to the gun.

I am also looking at a conversion barrel to 9mm from pistolgear.com. Not that it matters at this point, since ammo is near impossible to find anywhere. That does bring up a question though. Will the same magazines I use with .40 accomodate 9mm ammunition? 9mm is a little bit cheaper and then I would be able to shoot that and .40 without having to get a whole new gun, which I don't plan on for some time.

Once the new guide rod gets here I will post up pics of the installation process. Should be fun. I love tinkering with stuff. Just not ready to reload ammo.
    Last edited by Sealknife; 3/19/2009 4:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the Don's Guide Rod arrived the other day from pistolgear.com so here are the pics.

Very easy to put in, though I didn't expect it to be difficult.

18# spring, slightly heavier than the stock one.

Bushing.

Bushing.

All done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a little fun. Shot a hollow point through some dry wall into a milk jug full of water up against a tree stump to see how what would happen inside of a building, like whether or not the bullet could go through one person , dry wall and simulated boards or whatever else is in walls.

Bullet was a 180 gr. Winchester JHP.

I didn't use any FMJ to try this but I wish I would've. I ran out earlier that day. The bullet didn't flatten against the stump. It looks like it just didn't have enough energy left.
    Last edited by Sealknife; 3/31/2009 3:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 11:09am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In one of the pictures it appears that the XD is kept in a case with a slidelock and the case is secured with a combination lock? True or just the picture?
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 4/01/2009 11:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    In one of the pictures it appears that the XD is kept in a case with a slidelock and the case is secured with a combination lock? True or just the picture?
    It's true. I'm much more worried about somebody breaking in and taking the gun/using against me when I get home than I am about using it on somebody who is breaking in.

I don't always keep it like this, but usually. Sometimes I keep it loaded and hidden very well.

Wherever I keep it, it's usually very well hidden.

When I do keep it out of the case I stick an old, metal airsoft gun in the case and leave it out in plain sight so if it does get stolen no harm comes from it, and since it's locked they would have to steal the whole thing and break it open later.

Another thing is that we have a fair amount of parties at our place and I think it would be pretty dumb if some drunk idiot decided to play with it. It happens.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Self-defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks very nice. The XD is great from what I have heard and experienced. Since I see you have that Ohio CC manual, I was wondering if you decided where (on your person) your were going to carry and if you have picked out a holster?

(Of course I would have bought a Glock 19....but an XD is fine too)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast