Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 9:50pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

describe your FMA

How do you as someone who practices FMA describe your art? I've read a lot of stuff in books and articles about different FMA styles, and often I'm left w/ some of the same basic unanswered questions. I'm curious though what someone who is a practitioner of the FMAs thinks about and views their art? If you actively practice an FMA please give a brief,Very brief, description of it.

What it the main emphasis of the FMA you practice? How does your style differ from others?Where does it originate( & what master/s)? What kind of strikes do you use?what kind of weapons? How is the system organized or ranked?

For example,

The style I do is Balintiwak Arnis. It originated in Cebu City in the Phillipines. The founder of the art was "Anciong" Venancio Bacon (born in 1912) who originally trained w/ Labangon Fencing Club (the precursor to Doce Pares). Balintiwak varies slightly from club to club and GMaster to MAster. The style I train in desends from GM Bobby Taboada.
    From my understanding all styles of Balintiwak use a basic 7 level (no belts!) system. The next level after 7 I think is master. That consists of 12 "basic" linear strikes and 12 "full power" semi advanced" angled strikes, as well as flicking strikes. The strikes are sometimes practiced in "shadow boxing" configurations. Balintiwak is often reffered to as filipino boxing because of the close contact and nature of the art using a 26inch. stick. Like many other FMA anything close to the size of the standard 26' and smaller including empty hand can be used in the art. The emphasis is heavily on defense, using: bobs,slips,ducks,feignts,set ups and counters like boxing. As well as power in strikes,footwork, and body motion. All of these skills are learned in the counter to counter or "cuentada system". That's a pretty brief- basic idea of what Balintiwak is about. Of course I could go on much longer.

Thanks for any feedback.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:13pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the style i practice is garimot arnis. it originated in paete, laguna. it is the system of the baet family, composed of several styles which have been introduced in successive generations, and currently headed by gat puno abon baet.

the main emphasis of garimot arnis is staying safe. we prefer largo to stay out of the opponent's reach while keeping him within ours. when we can't stay in largo, we seek an immediate disarm, lock, or control of the opponent's weapon to limit his ability to attack. buno (wrestling) is also studied to help with corto range and staying safe in a clinch or on the ground. hilot (healing) is also taught to protect against and treat illness and injury. we train with stick, sword, double stick/sword, dagger, double dagger, sword and dagger, sword and shield, spear, rope, and anything similar.

garimot arnis is a family. 'ranks' are as follows:
    once you've been with us for a little while (shown your commitment), you are kapatid (brother/sister).
    after a few years of training, you are referred to as kuya or ate (older brother or sister).
    when you are given permission to teach, you are called guro.
    the seniors in the family are called ninong or ninang (godfather or godmother),
    and at the top is gat puno (head of the family).

more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/garimot_arnis
    http://www.garimot.com/

tim

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 7:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question/comments to tim_stl regardinggarimot arnis:

Interesting i've never heard of that style. It sounds like your style also emphasizes defense much like mine. How do you guys work your defense? In Balintiwak we start out learning basic blocking while another feeds basic strikes in a pre arranged order eventually the order disappears and the strikes become random and more advanced over time block&counter strikes are worked into the drill, which requires better awareness,footwork and skill that is developed over time. Overall it works great for developing a solid blocking/defense foundation. The only draw back is individual escrimadors tend to use the same combinations of stirkes which are learned over time. As a result the escrimador has to push himself to be creative and work new combinations.
    The style you train sounds pretty complete including buno and healing aspects of the art. I've seen the buno but never any healing in the FMA. Is the healing a result of japanese influence on the art? How is it done ex .pressure point & meridians (like shiatsu)? or massage? Is your style more traditional kali or "modern arnis" as some call it?Roughly when did the style originate?
    Lastly how do you guys practice. Any full contact? IN my style all sparring is done w/ pulled punches (unfortunately). I'd like to convince the guys I train w/ to go full contact (Dog brothers style) but i'm not sure if thats what thy're going for.
    Thanks for your reply

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Interesting i've never heard of that style.
    it's from luzon, so it's not surprising that you haven't heard of it. there are very few styles from luzon taught in the states; the visayan styles are generally more available.

It sounds like your style also emphasizes defense much like mine. How do you guys work your defense?
    the first style taught is cinco teros, so there are only five angles to worry about. emphasis is on largo mano, so blocking isn't taught at all to beginners- evasion is emphasized. there are sets of drills that teach the basic theories of countering. blocking is taught in corto, and there are a few drills that teach other skills in corto, but there isn't anything like the agak in balintawak. we drill the footwork and counters, and work them into sparring.

The style you train sounds pretty complete including buno and healing aspects of the art. I've seen the buno but never any healing in the FMA. Is the healing a result of japanese influence on the art? How is it done ex .pressure point & meridians (like shiatsu)? or massage?
    there are many methods, but none of it comes from japanese influence. there are indigenous methods of massage, water therapy, herbs, and oils. there are also some obviously chinese-derived methods such as 'cupping,' so it's possible that there is chinese influence in the other methods as well, but it's primarily indigenous.

Is your style more traditional kali or "modern arnis" as some call it?
    it's traditional arnis. there's a common misconception that kali styles are traditional and arnis styles are like modern arnis. however, a little investigation will reveal that most kali styles are actually new syntheses of styles, and those that aren't were renamed to kali recently. kali has better p.r. than arnis.

Roughly when did the style originate?
    because it's a composite of various methods, that's hard to answer. the name 'garimot' was coined only recently, but the styles that constitute it have been in the family for a while. gat puno baet traces his lineage back to the middle 19th century; no records survive before that, just oral family history. we believe that arnis originated with the moro-moro, which was the first curriculum of arnis. before this, we believe that filipino fighting arts were not systematized. the moro-moro in the philippines originated in the 1600's. the cinco teros style came from the moro-moro (17th century). doce pares (of laguna) originated in the late 18th/early 19th century, from cinco teros. siete colores originated in the middle/late 19th century, organized to combat the spanish. laban tulisan originated in the 1940's, as training to fight the japanese. tres puntos, i don't know when it originated, but it's at least late 19th century.

Lastly how do you guys practice. Any full contact?
    yes, we spar full contact. we pad the stick, though, and that is a modern invention. no armor, except goggles during knife sparring (or stick, if you want them). some people like to use head gear for stick sparring as well.

thank you for your interest.

tim
    Last edited by tim_stl; 2/26/2009 11:13am at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your answers to my questions. I'm still surprised to hear about healing arts in FMA, cool. I'm definately going to have to look up garimote arnis to see what it looks like. Lastly, what length stick do you use? Many largo styles i've read about use relatively long sticks -30' or so I think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your answers to my questions. I'm still surprised to hear about healing arts in FMA, cool. I'm definately going to have to look up garimote arnis to see what it looks like. Lastly, what length stick do you use? Many largo styles i've read about use relatively long sticks -30' or so I think.
    we use normal 28" sticks. you're in the right state for garimot arnis, but unfortunately you're about as far away as you can get and still be in florida.

tim

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you at in FL? I'm originally from Tampa, and i'll probably be moving within FL in the next couple years after I finish school/ It'd be great to continue my FMA somewhere else after I move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 6:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you at in FL? I'm originally from Tampa, and i'll probably be moving within FL in the next couple years after I finish school/ It'd be great to continue my FMA somewhere else after I move.
    i live in st. louis, but gat puno abon lives near ft. lauderdale. there are garimot practitioners and teachers along the atlantic coast from west palm down to miami. i'm down there every summer, though.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2009 12:42pm

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Inosanto/Lacoste Blend

View from a different school.

Our base is Inosanto/Lacoste blend with a little Lamco, P.T. and D.B. added in. Our curriculum is a little different from what you might find at Guro Inosanto's school. One major difference is we work off the Illistrimo 12 angles, which can sometimes be tricky when Guro comes for his seminar.

Weapons are single/double stick, knife, espada y daga at all ranges using 6 main contradas to move in and out. Also work emplty hand and grappling.

Been trying to get more sparing going in class. Usually we use padded sticks, rubber knives sometimes a thai pad for a shield.

Sometimes we have a mix of Mande Muda with the Kali.

Ken

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy I train under trains a bit of a mix, with the primary influence being Modern Arnis (He trained under Jeff Delaney). Throw in a smattering of Judo and Kenpo (Under Huk Planas). Not having studied many other FMAs I'm probably poorly equipped to give a good comparison.

For the past few months we've been almost exclusively empty hand, with a pretty big emphasis on clinchwork. (Some of the best resistance training I've ever done was a two-hour session on nothing BUT clinch... my training partner had about 80 pounds on me. For the next few days I was hurling same-size partners all around the room. *laugh*)

Even when the sticks/knives come out, there's a pretty strong emphasis on crashing to corto range -- I'm guessing that's the balintawak influence?

No belts, ranks, etc... Totally informal walk-in for ten bucks for two hours.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast