Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 4:14am

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a walking stick (straight cane) from time to time when I injure myself (feet, ankles, knees, hips, you name it) and have to get around on the ice. I also use it when I walk around the park with the kiddo (it's a handy tool to poke at things) or walk to the store (handy for carrying grocery bags). It's an old bo that cracked at a weak spot, cut down to 37", with a copper end cap. Though I use it like a hanbo (where my training lies), the principle is the same. Oddly enough though, one time when I actually needed it, someone questioned my right to have it. I had a big guy roll into my ankle at a rugby match. I brought my stick to help me hobble to the bar for the drink-up afterwards.

Limping along, the doorman told me I'd have to leave it with him. I looked down at my swollen ankle, then back at him. I asked if he'd like to help me hobble around inside. He let me keep it, just admonishing me not to swing it around.

I am interested in Western cane techniques to add to the fencing aspect of the weapon. Good stuff.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But could a spry, able bodied sexy 19 year old pull off the same cane shenanigans without looking like a total tool? Older dudes can get away with it because they look refined. I look like a ska reject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 9:29pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy View Post
    But could a spry, able bodied sexy 19 year old pull off the same cane shenanigans without looking like a total tool?
    I've seen a guy in his mid 20's do it, no problem: My late friend Mark.

He'd dress in khaki shorts, sandals, a pseudo-Hawaiian style shirt (mono-color, no print), and a leather "Aussie" style fedora. No one even blinked.

Older dudes can get away with it because they look refined.
    I admit that I tailor my appearance to fit the cane. Kinda a cross between "Dandy" and "Refined."

I look like a ska reject.
    Well, it's true that if you're wearing combat boots, a "Skinheads RULE!" T-shirt, and a Tapout ball cap on crooked, then, yeah, you'll stand out. LEOs will look at ya and double take the cane.

Like I said earlier. Cops aren't dumb or naive. They'll "profile" you and if you look like you're looking for trouble, they'll mark you out.

Don't look like you're looking for trouble.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 11:07pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine who actually had to use a cane to walk (after a sports related injury) once clubbed a guy in the head with his cane, my friend fell down as he hit the guy then got up and walked off while the other guy layed there. Believe it or not he had no combat cane skills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 11:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'all should look at the la'cane (I don't know how to spell in French) techniques of Savate -- there's still a living lineage out there that can use the suckers. I'm clueless, but I've met Savate guys in Dallas that're pretty scary with 'em. Just $0.02

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 12:23am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDesu View Post
    Y'all should look at the la'cane (I don't know how to spell in French)
    Close enough that even the french would know what you meant.

techniques of Savate -- there's still a living lineage out there that can use the suckers. I'm clueless, but I've met Savate guys in Dallas that're pretty scary with 'em. Just $0.02
    There are two types of la Canne (going from memory), sport (la Canne de Combat) and Self Defense (la Canne de Armes). The sporting variation is very athletic and a joy to watch. The SD is harder, by far, to find and has a limited set of lineages and are harder to find, ims.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 12:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspect it was the latter, as this was very tight and minimalistic in its motions -- not athletic looking at all. They said it was all powered by a spiral pivoting motion, but I didn't have enough clue to grok it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 12:09pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally favor the hooked canes, but have carried the straight walking stick. Over the past 58 years have had a few injuries and have carried canes for support and for defense. Yes, mr. White, I have used the cane in a defense situation. Actually resorted to riot stick techniques I learned many moons ago as a newbie MP.

Posted On:
    4/16/2009 5:14am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor contribution.
    I have 2 combat canes (one slightly more subtle than the other) but I don't carry them except to training. I attended a seminar with one of our 7th Dans and gawped at his fluency and skill. Pity the poor bast*rd who tries to mug him for his pension (which should be coming up in the next 5 years).

Heading in that direction myself (but generally only admitting to being 27 years old) I also want to explore the Cane from a Self Defence perspective. By chance I happened to be the Crash Test Dummy (sorry, "uke") for a 4th Dan and - Thank God for his Control. It was frightening. Anyway, I'm hoping to learn from him and am hoping to meet a Canemaster in a forthcoming seminar (no, not for the Cane, it's something else) - so, it's a long term aim, and, really, just part of The Way. (Pardon the cliche).

Cheers

PS Love the Panama Hat. I wore one back from Sicily (I bought in Taormina) and got some odd looks on the Underground here in London. Probably 'cos I had all my JJ gear with me, as I made my way home. Yep, it's stylish and I can't quite carry it off - unlike a colleague who was born to wear it (bast*rd).

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2009 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Close enough that even the french would know what you meant.

There are two types of la Canne (going from memory), sport (la Canne de Combat) and Self Defense (la Canne de Armes). The sporting variation is very athletic and a joy to watch. The SD is harder, by far, to find and has a limited set of lineages and are harder to find, ims.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Doesn't Russ Mitchell do some form of savate with la canne down in Dallas? I'll have to ask, I can't recall off the top of my head.

The Cunningham system is quite nice, simple and easy to teach and use.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12