Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 8:02am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nm View Post
    Is a Traditional Martial Arts gym the place where you can be taught actual techniques?

Is the normal initiation to an mma gym getting your ribs cracked by their pro fighter (and then having your boxing gloves disappear) in your second week?

In my opinion getting busted up isn't so bad if you can trust the people you are training with. But if they have ill intentions and steal your ****, yeah I'll go somewhere else. No point investing time, money, and energy into a gym ravaged by negativity, hostility, flying high ego's, and foolishness (some of the guys there, who are on this guy's nuts, aren't even good, they are not practicing proper techniques, and apparently they are not learning them).
    No its not talk to the instructor because that is not cool. Plus WHY IN THE **** ARE YOU SPARRING WITH A PRO FIGHTER?
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    No.

Apply some common sense.

My first wife had some condition that would cause her lung to collapse. I don't remember the name of it but it would put her in the hospital for a few days on a couple of occasions. TBH IDK what set it off. So I know it is possible for the lung to deflate from some conditions.

The possibility of it happening from a strike is just like the child who got hit with the baseball in the chance. I real one in a billion thing.
    I'm not talking about deflating a lung. I'm just saying getting hit in the gut after an exhalation really sucks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    No its not talk to the instructor because that is not cool. Plus WHY IN THE **** ARE YOU SPARRING WITH A PRO FIGHTER?
    Reading the post, it doesn't sound like an MMA sparring session, it sounds like he was grappling, got thrown (possibly double legged?) and then knee on bellied. But that's just the way I read it. And I would to point out that my first night at the Coach's affiliate gym in Baton Rouge, I had a pro fighter fold MY OWN KNEE into my eyeball and tap me out with it, to punish me for Rubber Guard.

Then again there are some really crapsack gyms out there, perhaps the moral of this story is
    "Go do Judo"?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies... heres the story in entirety so as to quell the curiosity of those who want the details filled in...
    I wasn't sparring... we were doing what I thought was casual "rolling", basically no gi ju-jitsu. After cardio kickboxing class (go ahead and laugh, I'm trying to get into shape) was over I would hang around and kick the bags and the "advanced mma" session guys would always invite me over roll with them. I am always more than obliged, as I'd like to learn and have done a little of this at another gym, so I don't feel too uncomfortable. We start from our knees and just start grappling. I usually slide right into my full guard because I don't know how to do much outside of that.

On this particular night the one pro fighter that works there, who may or may not had at some point been a trainer of Rashad Evans, told me to join him on the mat. I thought this was a good learning opportunity, but he proceeded to soften me up pretty good. I never would have had a chance as his weight and strength and conditioning is far superior to mine (he used to fight at 175, maybe is around 180-190, and is rock hard, I'm at 150 straight off the street with my little bit of extra pizza dough). He pretty much went fast and hard, don't know how he got me down, but it only took a second for me to get there... he held one of my legs down on the inside of my thigh with his knee, must have held my torso down with an arm, I don't remember that part, because I was watching him pass my attempt to guard which is when he slowly placed his other knee over my ribs and came down with a bit of blunt force to the ribs, then yeah sort of a knee on belly but I don't know if it was on my chest or belly because I was distracted by the soft punches he was landing on my mouth. That's when I asked to get my mouthguard and he said "No, keep moving".
    At this point I am completely helpless, so said "No, let me get my mouthguard." The whole time he looked pissed off, and I think that is just his personality because trust me I am no douche bag as someone suggested I may be. I am a humble guy and friendly at that.
    So I got my mouthguard and returned and before we started rolling I asked if he could show me some techniques to which he responded to by flipping out cursing me out and saying something along the lines of:
    "I'm not here to pander to people like you! You want to see something? Look, come here." He ripped the schedule that was taped to the front desk and continued YELLinG at me saying "this says 'advanced mma'! If you want to complain, then you can just get your **** and get the **** out of here!"
    At this point some fat woman who was standing around the gym just hanging out says "See ya later" with some sort of sarcastic tone. I was quite dumbfounded as I was trying to figure out how this came about me. When I signed up a week earlier, the guy who signed me up was real friendly and verified that I could join in on the cardio kickboxing and even roll no gi with the guys during the 'advanced mma training, that it was laid back, and if the floor was clear I could use the bags. I was under the belief that things would go smoothly like they did at another gym in another town that I had trained at. But that was before this insanity unfolded.
    So I stood there like a leper in my shame as about 20 people in the gym all had their eyes on me as I stood there getting owned by the pro fighter guy. I decided that the sarcastic comment from the fat lady was enough of an excuse to go back to the mat and roll with some of the other dudes, cuz I wasn't going to walk out of there just cuz this douche wanted to play the Kobra Ky card.
    So I rolled with another guy who said he had 12 years experience in bjj, and that went fine, he is a cool guy... but the other guy there kept saying "GET HIM MAN! GET HIM!" and I was just thinking "really? why do they behave like this? are they trying to initiate me into a fight club? I never told anyone I wanted to fight, I told them I just wanted to learn bjj and get into shape, I don't carry myself arrogantly or act like a tough guy... and this guy is yelling 'GET HIM'?"

So after I roll with the cool guy I roll with "GET HIM" guy, who is probably the heaviest guy there, 200+ easy, and very muscular, but somehow uncoordinated, slow, and with some poor techniques mixed with some decent ones. So after rolling for like 3-5 minutes, we are getting exhausted, and I slap him in a beautiful triangle, which was the one and only time I tapped anyone there, and trust me, it felt good, but was hard worked for.

At this point I am completely exhausted, so much that my muscles were flinching, some cramping, and I could barely drag my butt over to drink some much needed water. Somehow I manage to grab my gym bag and walk out of there without talking to anyone, besides hostility is in the air and I don't necessarily feel wanted there or as if I am in a friendly atmosphere. I don't realize that I forgot my boxing gloves until I am halfway home.

I returned the next day at opening time and pro fighter is sitting there surrounded by "GET HIM" guy and some random Tapout sporting guys who look like they could kick the **** out of me. I told him I was looking for my gloves to which he responded "Oh, they are probably not here anymore". I wasn't going to question his integrity on the spot because I had no proof. I looked in lost and found and headed out, and on my way one of the douche looking fighters said "I lost some 16 oz everlast gloves before" to the pro fighter, just to let me know that he was already filled in on who I was and of the exact type of gloves that I had left, no doubt to be thieved. Now tell me, would this experience warrant a new found dedication in returning to your new gym? It didn't for me, and I may have went back if I didn't have to buy more gloves and take them to a place where my **** was already stolen. But over all I'd prefer to be in a positive place if there is one, and let them kick the crap out of me. yeah these guys are thugs who have trained to fight so they can bully people and be punks. If I learn to fight I want to remain humble and kind, and want to be around people who are likewise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone handed me my ass, then yelled at me, I'd leave. The hell with the sarcastic fat lady. Something about people who have proven they can kick my ass not liking me makes me not want to stick around.

Go find a gym where people are more positive and you'll learn more anyway.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 3:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds worthy of an investigation to me! From the other thread link posted it sounds like this gym is located in Michigan?

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One idea was contacting the better business bureau. I'm still figuring on a way to get out of the contract or deciding to pay the rest of the 3 month contract just to stay on the good side of the law. Luckily it's only $48 a mo. At the very least they will get an accurate review of their gym on the search engine business reviews. Go work out aka spartan xtreme mma & boxing lansing mi.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567