Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 4:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nm View Post
    So about 4-5 days ago I was in a new gym (I'm pretty new to BJJ) and the pro fighter there decided to roll with me... however I think he was just trying to see if I was tough or trying to hurt me.
    Go to a rape safe house and ask for help.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 8:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your rib is cracked. Your lung is not punctured or you wouldn't be posting stupid **** on the internet 3-4 days after the fact.

Also, I think you're lying, or a major douchebag cause no pro fighter I've ever met just wrecks up noobs for no reason.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did read somewhere once that it is possible to burst the primary bronchus or the bronchial sacs inside the lung with certain types of closed-chest trauma. I think the case study involved a young child (10?) being hit in the chest by a car moving at around 20mph.

The dynamics involved were primarily pneumatic and easy to follow: compression of the chest cavity caused compression of the air in the lung, attached to it is the bronchus and inside sit the bronchial sacs which themselves fill up with air. The lung is not a balloon at all, it is an air sac filled with smaller air sacs and connected to the trachea by means of a small tubes (bronchi), and a rupture can occur when rapid compression is applied to any part of that system.

Compressing the lung (unnaturally) causes rapid compression of the bronchus and bronchial sacs to the point where they can burst. In the case study this caused an emphysema-like condition in the child that required ventilation via a needle inserted into the chest and more surgery (the child did survive).

The wiki article on tracheobronchial inury is decent enough. TBI can according to sources "result from blunt or penetrating trauma to the neck or chest" so it is not inconceivable that a punch to the neck or chest in the right way could cause a TBI.

I will try to find where I saw that article since it is somewhat relevant, although the force from any punch or kick is hardly at the same level as a 2 ton vehicle moving at 20mph...

Edit: found it: Google Docs version of the 11 year old case study.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/10/2011 9:59am at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 10:54am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    If you can time a strike with someone's breath.....unlikely except maybe ground and pound, it would be smarter to hit them when they breathe out.
    No.

Apply some common sense.

My first wife had some condition that would cause her lung to collapse. I don't remember the name of it but it would put her in the hospital for a few days on a couple of occasions. TBH IDK what set it off. So I know it is possible for the lung to deflate from some conditions.

The possibility of it happening from a strike is just like the child who got hit with the baseball in the chance. I real one in a billion thing.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 11:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So about 4-5 days ago I was in a new gym (I'm pretty new to BJJ) and the pro fighter there decided to roll with me... however I think he was just trying to see if I was tough or trying to hurt me.

He threw me down and held his knee above my chest. He hesitated for a second then slammed it down into my ribs on the left side. I don't know if the rib is cracked or separated between the cartilage and the bone, but there is a raised portion of what feels like bone that is kind of sticking up like a lump where he hit me.

After he flipped out on me and cursed me out for asking if I could get my mouth-guard and asking him to show me some techniques, I rolled with a couple other guys. At the end of the night I was extremely exhausted.

When I got back home, I started sneezing repeatedly and the next day continued with fits of sneezing and runny nose. Then it kind of cleared up a couple days later. The ribs area was very sore, and three days later when I woke up the pain was quite intense. I noticed that when I reached the top of a breath the pain was most significant and some times would feel, and actually hear, a popping coming from behind my ribs. I don't know if it is the lung or the rib popping.

I read up on the net a bit and found that there is a membrane surrounding your lungs etc that if broken can cause something similar to a punctured lung in that a portion of, or a chamber in the lung can collapse and fill with fluid. Now a punctured lung is normally from incidents concerning gunshots or stabbings, but I have been curious as to if somehow I have suffered a sort of lung damage or puncture. Maybe it is just a small fracture in the ribs, idk.

I don't have health insurance now so can't get it checked out, but finding this article has been intriguing in that I feel the possibility that you can in fact damage someones lung from a perfectly timed strike, if done with enough force. Hopefully my injury is not that bad because I read that if it is not treated in a timely manner fluid can fill the lungs and cause death eventually. Before that however, there will be more serious signs of trouble like lips turning blue and having increased difficulty in breathing. The pain has been decreasing day by day, but still hurts at the top of the breath which keeps me wary.
    "MMAers are Thugs and I now train at a respectable Traditional Martial Arts gym."
    Did I get it right?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may not have met them but they are out there. I read up on him and found he has a tarnished reputation among the local martial arts community for lying about having a brown belt in BJJ. He was trying to gain students at an mma show and some real black or brown belts started asking him questions and exposed him. But you're welcome to believe what you will.

Here is a link that explains a little background on this guy- Matt Torres
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=...2458&forum=133

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is a Traditional Martial Arts gym the place where you can be taught actual techniques?

Is the normal initiation to an mma gym getting your ribs cracked by their pro fighter (and then having your boxing gloves disappear) in your second week?

In my opinion getting busted up isn't so bad if you can trust the people you are training with. But if they have ill intentions and steal your ****, yeah I'll go somewhere else. No point investing time, money, and energy into a gym ravaged by negativity, hostility, flying high ego's, and foolishness (some of the guys there, who are on this guy's nuts, aren't even good, they are not practicing proper techniques, and apparently they are not learning them).

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like a crappy gym, if what you're saying is true. Find a better one.
    EDIT: to answer...
    Is the normal initiation to an mma gym getting your ribs cracked by their pro fighter (and then having your boxing gloves disappear) in your second week?
    ...no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 3:51am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He threw me down and held his knee above my chest. He hesitated for a second then slammed it down into my ribs on the left side.
    LOL! What kind of crazy place did you go to ? Were you sparring Tong Po ?

Never ask to spar the guy who is kicking the concrete pillars and has "rape eyes".

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:34am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is a Traditional Martial Arts gym the place where you can be taught actual techniques?

In my opinion getting busted up isn't so bad if you can trust the people you are training with. But if they have ill intentions and steal your ****, yeah I'll go somewhere else. No point investing time, money, and energy into a gym ravaged by negativity, hostility, flying high ego's, and foolishness (some of the guys there, who are on this guy's nuts, aren't even good, they are not practicing proper techniques, and apparently they are not learning them).
    Obviously you didn't look him in the eye long enough. Go back and stare him in the eyes. He'll respect you more for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast