When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 3:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989 View Post
    Dude....
    Thankfully, your post pointed the way to fail for all of us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 7:24pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told at one point that the boston crab, and variations thereof (kazaguruma), could cause a lung rupture. I assume the idea was it can break ribs that then puncture the lung. I don't know that it was supposed to rupture the lung directly. It certainly doesn't involve a strike, so much as using a person's body weight against them.

One could see how it could get mistranslated through a grapevine to where a medical person without martial arts training could confuse facts with speculation.

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 7:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how that could be done on purpose. A tension pneumothorax? How so? By hitting the xyphoid process? Doesn't really make sense. Sure, you could crack a a couple of ribs into the lung, which could cause a tension pneumothroax secondary to a flail chest, but 1) that sounds more like a kick to me and 2) that is hardly a precise martial arts manuever.

Any type of blunt impact that causes a tension pneumothorax, would apper to me, by nature, to be inprecise. You would have to just whack any number of areas with enough force to potentially cause internal damage.

And I agree with Bad Guy: What's keeping the air from exiting?

I don't know..it sounds retarded to me. It seems to be backed not by sound stuides of physiological knowledge but instead by a stupefied overconfidence in the illusion of hollywood martial arts...

The problem breaks down like this: You can potentially cause air to be expelled from the lungs into a rupture of the lung, but this cannot happen with one strike because the rupture would have to already be present for the air to have somewhere to pass through.

Unless, of course, the instructor is thinking of using some crazy tigers paw manuever or something, something cool we don't know about. Maybe that with the type of position he makes with his hand before he strikes the thumb will crack a rib precisely into the lung ONE MILLISECOND before the palm makes impact to push air through the hole that is formed....

...but I fucking doubt it.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did Budo just sciencePWN everyone?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 11:03pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamabushi View Post
    Good luck getting that trial past the ethics committee.

Silly billy, you just do it on dogs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 10:38am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of me has a silver medal from boxing.. He got it when he was 16(maybe)
    It was from a EM. he is now.. 23/24 years old. so this must have happend in 2002?
    It is probably a clip of it somewhere if you want to see it.

anyways. He lost the last match because his opponents hit him in the chest when he was breading in.. which lead to a knock out:)

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey View Post
    I don't see how that could be done on purpose. A tension pneumothorax? How so? By hitting the xyphoid process? Doesn't really make sense. Sure, you could crack a a couple of ribs into the lung, which could cause a tension pneumothroax secondary to a flail chest, but 1) that sounds more like a kick to me and 2) that is hardly a precise martial arts manuever.

Any type of blunt impact that causes a tension pneumothorax, would apper to me, by nature, to be inprecise. You would have to just whack any number of areas with enough force to potentially cause internal damage.

And I agree with Bad Guy: What's keeping the air from exiting?

I don't know..it sounds retarded to me. It seems to be backed not by sound stuides of physiological knowledge but instead by a stupefied overconfidence in the illusion of hollywood martial arts...

The problem breaks down like this: You can potentially cause air to be expelled from the lungs into a rupture of the lung, but this cannot happen with one strike because the rupture would have to already be present for the air to have somewhere to pass through.

Unless, of course, the instructor is thinking of using some crazy tigers paw manuever or something, something cool we don't know about. Maybe that with the type of position he makes with his hand before he strikes the thumb will crack a rib precisely into the lung ONE MILLISECOND before the palm makes impact to push air through the hole that is formed....

...but I fucking doubt it.

Well, the danger of a pneumothorax is air getting into your chest cavity.

Which makes your heart go LOL HOW DO I BEAT WITH NO ROOM TO EXPAND?

or something like that, i don't know. My "dawg" almost died because of it. **** was scary.

I doubt any technique can cause it, though

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i think maybe this happened to me?

So about 4-5 days ago I was in a new gym (I'm pretty new to BJJ) and the pro fighter there decided to roll with me... however I think he was just trying to see if I was tough or trying to hurt me.

He threw me down and held his knee above my chest. He hesitated for a second then slammed it down into my ribs on the left side. I don't know if the rib is cracked or separated between the cartilage and the bone, but there is a raised portion of what feels like bone that is kind of sticking up like a lump where he hit me.

After he flipped out on me and cursed me out for asking if I could get my mouth-guard and asking him to show me some techniques, I rolled with a couple other guys. At the end of the night I was extremely exhausted.

When I got back home, I started sneezing repeatedly and the next day continued with fits of sneezing and runny nose. Then it kind of cleared up a couple days later. The ribs area was very sore, and three days later when I woke up the pain was quite intense. I noticed that when I reached the top of a breath the pain was most significant and some times would feel, and actually hear, a popping coming from behind my ribs. I don't know if it is the lung or the rib popping.

I read up on the net a bit and found that there is a membrane surrounding your lungs etc that if broken can cause something similar to a punctured lung in that a portion of, or a chamber in the lung can collapse and fill with fluid. Now a punctured lung is normally from incidents concerning gunshots or stabbings, but I have been curious as to if somehow I have suffered a sort of lung damage or puncture. Maybe it is just a small fracture in the ribs, idk.

I don't have health insurance now so can't get it checked out, but finding this article has been intriguing in that I feel the possibility that you can in fact damage someones lung from a perfectly timed strike, if done with enough force. Hopefully my injury is not that bad because I read that if it is not treated in a timely manner fluid can fill the lungs and cause death eventually. Before that however, there will be more serious signs of trouble like lips turning blue and having increased difficulty in breathing. The pain has been decreasing day by day, but still hurts at the top of the breath which keeps me wary.

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 11:51pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nm View Post
    So about 4-5 days ago I was in a new gym (I'm pretty new to BJJ) and the pro fighter there decided to roll with me... however I think he was just trying to see if I was tough or trying to hurt me.

He threw me down and held his knee above my chest. He hesitated for a second then slammed it down into my ribs on the left side. I don't know if the rib is cracked or separated between the cartilage and the bone, but there is a raised portion of what feels like bone that is kind of sticking up like a lump where he hit me.

After he flipped out on me and cursed me out for asking if I could get my mouth-guard and asking him to show me some techniques, I rolled with a couple other guys. At the end of the night I was extremely exhausted.

When I got back home, I started sneezing repeatedly and the next day continued with fits of sneezing and runny nose. Then it kind of cleared up a couple days later. The ribs area was very sore, and three days later when I woke up the pain was quite intense. I noticed that when I reached the top of a breath the pain was most significant and some times would feel, and actually hear, a popping coming from behind my ribs. I don't know if it is the lung or the rib popping.

I read up on the net a bit and found that there is a membrane surrounding your lungs etc that if broken can cause something similar to a punctured lung in that a portion of, or a chamber in the lung can collapse and fill with fluid. Now a punctured lung is normally from incidents concerning gunshots or stabbings, but I have been curious as to if somehow I have suffered a sort of lung damage or puncture. Maybe it is just a small fracture in the ribs, idk.

I don't have health insurance now so can't get it checked out, but finding this article has been intriguing in that I feel the possibility that you can in fact damage someones lung from a perfectly timed strike, if done with enough force. Hopefully my injury is not that bad because I read that if it is not treated in a timely manner fluid can fill the lungs and cause death eventually. Before that however, there will be more serious signs of trouble like lips turning blue and having increased difficulty in breathing. The pain has been decreasing day by day, but still hurts at the top of the breath which keeps me wary.
    the internet is a reliable source of advice and information

KILL THEM ALL, IT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL REGAIN HEALTH. OPEN THEIR CHESTS AND EAT THEIR COURAGE IN ORDER TO SEE BEYOND, TO LOOK UNTO THE VOID
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 12:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can time a strike with someone's breath.....unlikely except maybe ground and pound, it would be smarter to hit them when they breathe out.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast