--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Qestions from a Muay Thai noobie

I started Muay Thai about a month and a half ago training about once a week and prior to that did close to no exercise other then lifting beer bottles.

I have two main questions. Does any one have any advice or articles or videos on how to work a bag so its easier to control other then hitting it softer. I have poor form as I have only recently started but I am fairly large weighing about 250 pounds and being 6'1 tall. I find as I have started to gain some amount of muscle from training the bag swings around a lot making it hard to practice.

Another problem I find is while my punches are heavy they don't have much explosive power like all the good fighters in my gym have. Are there any exercises or drills people can recommend to work on this? It would seem obvious that loosing weight would help to some degree, am I correct in thinking this?

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. Welcome to bullshido.

You've posted a noobish question by your own admission in the advanced striking forum. This will probably end up with the thread being moved.

In the meantime, take advantage of the search function, read the stickies at the top of each forum, and if this thread isn't moved to newbietown, by all means make an introductory thread.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you I didn't realize the nature of the thread. I didn't see any other place to post striking based questions and assumed noobie town was a place for noobies to introduce them selves then be trolled for a while rather then a place to have your questions answered. I will repost this over in noobie town.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two main questions. Does any one have any advice or articles or videos on how to work a bag so its easier to control other then hitting it softer. I have poor form as I have only recently started but I am fairly large weighing about 250 pounds and being 6'1 tall. I find as I have started to gain some amount of muscle from training the bag swings around a lot making it hard to practice.
    Well, this one, you're stuck on. You should NOT be stopping the bag anytime it starts swinging to make it easier. Learn how to use footwork to move out of the way and attack from different angles. If you need to stop it moving, use teeps and roundhouses to change momentum.

Another problem I find is while my punches are heavy they don't have much explosive power like all the good fighters in my gym have. Are there any exercises or drills people can recommend to work on this? It would seem obvious that loosing weight would help to some degree, am I correct in thinking this?
    Odds are really good that this is because you're armpunching. That is, you're just swinging your arm. There's more to it than that. You need to get your hips into your punches, which is really best done by talking to your coach. It's one of those things that's so basic and essential that it's best broken down in person.

Expect to get that a lot as a response. "Ask your coach" is really the best advice a bunch of strangers on the internet can give you, at least without a video.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, in the future, you'll want to use the basic technique forum for these kinds of questions. It won't be long before someone comes along and calls you an idiot who doesn't read board descriptions and moves your thread.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Qestions from a Muay Thai noobie

I started Muay Thai about a month and a half ago training about once a week and prior to that did close to no exercise other then lifting beer bottles.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thread per subject please. I will merge this thread with your other one. Would you prefer it's final destination be here in Newbietown or in the Basic Technique forum? Both fora are moderated so you don't have to worry about trolling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    noobie town thanks

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stand farther back from the bag so that you're straight punches are landing nearly at the very end of your reach. You're punches don't pop and your punches feel slow because you're stuffing yourself, which will inevitably cause you to "push" the bag. I remember learning in Karate and Tae Kwon Do to punch and kick "through" your target to get mor power. This is unnecessary and will just slow you down. The damage of the attack happens in first couple inches.

Use the swinging of the bag to simulate someone coming towards you aggressively and step around the bag. Relax and just watch and move. Don't worry to much about fast hard combinations for now. Just work on being crisp, quick, and mobile with one or two shots at a time.

When you throw kicks, keep your hips and legs totally loose and relaxed and just work on making them as effortless as possible. Being smooth and relaxed is how you get fast, and being fast is how you land those good damaging shots. Don't worry too much about stringing together punches and kicks at first. Work on the technique of kicking so you can get comfortable having fluid and controlled kicks. Look up videos of how the Thai's do bag work and you'll see what I mean. Very calm, very smooth, and very clean.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm