Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 7:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point is that a significant majority of MMA folks are not participating in programs that require a commitment. For instance, it takes martial artists years to acquire black belts. This is a measurement of achievement of the techniques. That does not imply that ALL fall under that category. Many MMA fighters are more interested in learning the art to go into a ring but a large majority just want the self defense skills. Most make it and many more do not and move on. There are MMA programs that actually have a designed curriculum as well out there that are very successful does that make them McDojo?

I did not and do not attend Master Tran's school but know him personally and he is very passionate about the art. He has a desire to share the techniques with everyone with any ability to learn: not just folks interested in climbing into a ring. Although, you will get that too. To assume he is just interested in the money and not the art is an insult. Professional martial artists love what they do and believe in their arts' life changing benefits. It is usually their only job and it is very hard to own and operate a school without commitment: which usually requires a progression curriculum. The more money a school makes, the more is dumped back into it to spread the knowledge. If you don't own a school, you do not know!

Master Tran and many of his students compete and do well. Try an advanced Google or Yahoo search or call his school. But, higher percentage of students in a martial arts program do not want to compete anyway. Most traditional martial arts are defensive arts. But what I am sure of is authentic Muay Thai is taught there and anyone who learns the techniques and practices, as with ANY martial art, can be effective in a ring.

And No, I did not read the entire thread either as I am new to this sight and didn't figure it out before replying.

I personally believe that before anyone tries to insult someone in a public forum, they should be certain they know the person they are insulting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 1:29pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMT View Post
    My point is that a significant majority of MMA folks are not participating in programs that require a commitment.
    Bullshit. Every MMA fighter that I know (and, yes, I know several personally) participate in programs that require commitment. A great number of elite level MMA fighters also happen to hold high ranking belts or other rankings in their respective arts. Take BJJ for example, where there are a large number of legitimate world champions class black belts competing in MMA.

For instance, it takes martial artists years to acquire black belts. This is a measurement of achievement of the techniques.

Not true on either count. Some martial artists seem to earn their black belts in the blink of an eye, part of the reason that not all black belts are created equal. Furthermore, some "black belts" have absolutely terrible technique. It all depends on the martial artist as well as their background.

There are MMA programs that actually have a designed curriculum as well out there that are very successful does that make them McDojo?

Possibly, depends on the gym.

Professional martial artists love what they do and believe in their arts' life changing benefits.

Again, this is another incredibly sweeping generalization. I would hope that anyone who makes teaching the martial arts their profession loves what they do, but I know some that don't. To them it is simply their job. No matter what someone's profession happens to be, you will find a wide range of people in that field. Some love it, some like it and put up with the b.s. that comes with any job, and some do it because they don't know how to do anything else or are too lazy to change careers. I know this shocks a lot of people, but martial arts teachers are people like everyone else, for better and worse. Some just want money, or ego stroke, or whatever, and couldn't care less about any "life changing benefits".

Most traditional martial arts are defensive arts.

Bullshit. Outside of Aikido or something along those lines, the vast majority of traditional martial arts contain both offensive and defensive techniques. Unless you are defining "defensive" in a very unusual way I'm not sure how you came to this belief.

But what I am sure of is authentic Muay Thai is taught there and anyone who learns the techniques and practices, as with ANY martial art, can be effective in a ring.

Once again, bullshit. You just said you don't train there so how would you know that "authentic" Muay Thai is taught there? Maybe I missed this amongst all your other well founded and researched points, but what is your background in Muay Thai? Second, the idea that ANY (emphasis yours) martial art can be effective in a ring is a complete crock and the kind of nonsense that could get someone seriously injured or killed. Go and train in Yellow Bamboo or any "no touch knockout" art and see how that works in a ring or cage. But make sure your funeral arrangements are in place first.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234