Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 11:02am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    It's Muay Thai Kwon Do. It may be a McDojo, but how is the instruction? It looks like a TKD school that is jumping on the MMA bandwagin without going to instructing BJJ.
    Exactly.

NoTeefa, I have actually seen a side kick taught in Muay Thai but it is not the kind of side kick your thinking of. It's more like a lead leg Teep with a slight upper body turn so you're hitting with the foot side ways instead of straight on.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 2:59pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their training program seems very commercial and includes some dodgy aspects in relation to Muay Thai.

However the demands for each grade fitness wise seem ok and although the strip system seems commercial they only demand 24 stripes for a belt. If you went to 2 classes a week this would work out at 12 weeks or 3 months. Most martial arts usually have 3 months inbetween gradings so not as bad as it seems.

Still overall this is being run far more from a business perspective than a martial arts one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 3:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New guy here, first post.

I live about 5 minutes away from the Longmont location. My 6 year old son was interested in taking a martial art and we live a little too far from my BJJ school to get him there in time for the little guys' class.

We checked Tran's out last Saturday and my McDojo radar was going off huge. They are marketing monsters. Banners and motivational stuff all over. They regularly drop flyers all over the town's businesses as well. Granted, I didn't check out an adult class, just the kids, but the simple fact that they had a belt system for Muay Thai gave me the douche-chills. The "pro-shop" out front was packed with thai shorts with the school logo on the front along with t-shirts and medium quality gear. They did have a ring and a fairly big training area and weight room in addition to the class room. In all fairness as well, the kids' class was well-run and featured all that life-lesson stuff you want kids to learn besides just whuppin ass. Unfortunately the action part was mostly running around and punching and kicking wildly in the air without real instruction.

After the class, we got the presentation schpeal with actual laminated sheets on a 3-ring presentation board. The class cost was pretty high per month but the worst part was the uniform fee. $99 for thai shorts, t-shirt and belt. Wow.
    They asked about getting me into a class but kinda shrunk back from that when I told them I train BJJ in Boulder as well as MT with Bang Ludwig.

The coffin-nail for me was in the signature text of the email I got from them asking about the visit. It featured "Licensee Opportunity" right after heralding themselves for "The First Ever Muay Thai Belt Curriculum".

I do have a friend at work who does the adult MT classes. They had inter-school fights a little while ago. Wish I was able to go see them to gauge the skill level. If they have another, I will go and report.

Cheers,
    Uberhack...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 6:31pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberhack View Post
    New guy here, first post.

I live about 5 minutes away from the Longmont location. My 6 year old son was interested in taking a martial art and we live a little too far from my BJJ school to get him there in time for the little guys' class.

We checked Tran's out last Saturday and my McDojo radar was going off huge. They are marketing monsters. Banners and motivational stuff all over. They regularly drop flyers all over the town's businesses as well. Granted, I didn't check out an adult class, just the kids, but the simple fact that they had a belt system for Muay Thai gave me the douche-chills. The "pro-shop" out front was packed with thai shorts with the school logo on the front along with t-shirts and medium quality gear. They did have a ring and a fairly big training area and weight room in addition to the class room. In all fairness as well, the kids' class was well-run and featured all that life-lesson stuff you want kids to learn besides just whuppin ass. Unfortunately the action part was mostly running around and punching and kicking wildly in the air without real instruction.

After the class, we got the presentation schpeal with actual laminated sheets on a 3-ring presentation board. The class cost was pretty high per month but the worst part was the uniform fee. $99 for thai shorts, t-shirt and belt. Wow.
    They asked about getting me into a class but kinda shrunk back from that when I told them I train BJJ in Boulder as well as MT with Bang Ludwig.

The coffin-nail for me was in the signature text of the email I got from them asking about the visit. It featured "Licensee Opportunity" right after heralding themselves for "The First Ever Muay Thai Belt Curriculum".

I do have a friend at work who does the adult MT classes. They had inter-school fights a little while ago. Wish I was able to go see them to gauge the skill level. If they have another, I will go and report.

Cheers,
    Uberhack...
    They're definitely not the first organisation to have a muay thai curriculum, though it is normally done with the armbands rather than belts and most muay thai organisations don't bother with it. The costs seem excessive thats £68 for a Tshirt and shorts. Thai shorts normally cost around £20 so that t shirt and belt must be top quality. Also never heard of a Muay Thai organisation wearing belts!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 1:34am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to their credit, I found a page on their website where they clearly explain that it is a class for fitness and not for fighting.
    Tran's is excited to introduce Thai Kickboxing, our brand new fitness program to help you get in shape and stay in shape!
    Thai Kickboxing is an intense cardio workout that will also build strength and speed in your punches and kicks. Each class includes pad work, heavy bag work, exercises for abs, arms and legs, and more. Thai Kickboxing combines aerobic and anaerobic conditioning and helps develop timing, stamina and power. It's great for fitness students and Tae Kwon Do students too.
    Thai Kickboxing students get their own special uniforms and their own special belts. The uniforms help remind everyone that we are first and foremost a martial arts school. The belts help remind TKB students that they're working toward a goal: their TKB Black Belt.
    What makes Thai Kickboxing so Unique?
    The Basic Elements of Thai Kickboxing:
    The primary focus and benefit of each Thai Kickboxing Class is FITNESS. The classes are designed to help the student lose weight, build muscle and transform his/her body. Additionally, each class is designed to challenge the student’s cardiovascular fitness and raise his/her level of conditioning.
    The next element of Thai Kickboxing is SAFETY. Adults have different needs than teens and children. Each Thai Kickboxing Class is designed to protect the student’s knees, ankles, back and neck. There is no bouncing, jumping, spinning, flying or contact with other students in the Basic Thai Kickboxing Course. We understand that our students have jobs, families and responsibilities. We protect our students from injury by creating a curriculum that considers the adult student’s needs. “It isn’t so much what we’ve put into Thai Kickboxing that makes it so special...It’s what we took out”.
    The next element of Thai Kickboxing is EDUCATION. Each class is designed to challenge the student intellectually, We realize that most people join our program for fitness and not to become World Champion Fighters. We teach correct technique in order to provide a safer and more efficient workout. The students learn how to perform their punches, kicks, knees, and footwork correctly. Students go on a mental journey each and every class, taking them away from the normal stress and strain of their busy lives. Martial Arts is, in fact, a “Journey towards Self Perfection.” The educational element we add to our classes keeps the students focused, happy and challenged.
    The last and perhaps the most important element of Thai Kickboxing is FUN. There are lots of ways to get into shape, but the one you will stay with the longest and benefit from the most is the one you enjoy. We are experts at disguising repetition so that material is familiar, but not to boring. We create a “team oriented’ classroom. There is no negativity, sarcasm or indifference. The class is focused and on a quest to not only be their best, but also help others achieve their goals.
    “It’s not necessarily what we teach that makes Thai Kickboxing so unique...It’s how we teach it.” We promise a TERRIFIC WORKOUT that is SAFE, EDUCATIONAL and lots of FUN...Every Time!

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 9:41am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also read that section of the website. If they're offering it as a fitness class than call it Cardio Kickboxing, or something along those lines. Get rid of the belts and the curriculum and just leave the workout.

Adding the belts, a specific curriculum and testing requirements gives it the appearance of an actual system. What then occurs is you having people running around after a couple of years claiming BB in Muay Thai and opening their own schools. That's the last thing we need.
    安氏八极拳学生

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    I also read that section of the website. If they're offering it as a fitness class than call it Cardio Kickboxing, or something along those lines. Get rid of the belts and the curriculum and just leave the workout.

Adding the belts, a specific curriculum and testing requirements gives it the appearance of an actual system. What then occurs is you having people running around after a couple of years claiming BB in Muay Thai and opening their own schools. That's the last thing we need.
    That and it seems that they are doing this so when someone asks them to spar using MT rules, they can say, "It was just for fitness not fighting." Basically translated, we might not know what we are doing, so let's not fight anyone who might actually know what MT really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 1:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to chime in and clear a few things up. Most of the folks in this thread are confusing Tran's kickboxing program with their Muay Thai program. It's two different programs, the kickboxing program is indeed largely a cardio class akin to Tae Bo, and all the information pasted here from the Tran's site is in relation to kickboxing.

The Muay Thai program is much smaller, spars weekly, and just recently started a more traditional program which focuses on fight training specifically (i.e. competition). There's no board breaking or any of that other jazz in the Muay Thai program, and honestly I've yet to see anyone older than maybe 12 break a board at Trans, I could be mistaken though. Master Tran trained under Master Toddy and I believe he is still the current CBA (Colorado Boxing Associating) Muay Thai champion. There was a time Tran's got out of the fighting game, I'm not sure why as the last time he fielded fighters at Broomfield 4 out of the 5 took the win - but I suspect it was to focus on other aspects of his business.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 2:57pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Mojo View Post
    The Muay Thai program is much smaller, spars weekly, and just recently started a more traditional program which focuses on fight training specifically (i.e. competition). There's no board breaking or any of that other jazz in the Muay Thai program, and honestly I've yet to see anyone older than maybe 12 break a board at Trans, I could be mistaken though. Master Tran trained under Master Toddy and I believe he is still the current CBA (Colorado Boxing Associating) Muay Thai champion. There was a time Tran's got out of the fighting game, I'm not sure why as the last time he fielded fighters at Broomfield 4 out of the 5 took the win - but I suspect it was to focus on other aspects of his business.
    It looks like this school is indeed affiliated with Master Toddy:
    http://www.mastertoddy.com/index.php?page=mtia-schools

A trainer at my gym trains at one of the affiliate schools here in nyc (five points).

It looks like to be a Muay Thai certified trainer, you have to undergo a two-year, 500 hour trainer course -
    http://www.mastertoddy.com/index.php...uctors-college

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2009 4:41pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol I pass by that place all the time its right next to a restaurant I go to. from what I can tell its mostly cardio/fitness type stuff, every time someone opens the door to come out of the sound proof gym you can hear the loudest fucking techno and some chick yelling stuff like "here we go"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast