Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mt and sub grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trans tkd

impretty sure that this is a mcdojo i studied here here when i was a kid and it involved basic mainstream kma techniques. they featured a heavy introductory cost and they had summer camps for people of all ages, paying for belt test's and non live sparring. somthing new to me though is they now teach muay thai.
    Tran's is excited to introduce Thai Kickboxing, our brand new fitness program to help you get in shape and stay in shape!
    Thai Kickboxing is an intense cardio and strength-building workout for anyone looking to get in shape and stay in shape. Each class includes pad work, heavy bag work, exercises for abs, arms and legs, and more. Thai Kickboxing combines aerobic and anaerobic conditioning and helps develop timing, stamina and power. It's great for fitness students and Tae Kwon Do students too.
    Thai Kickboxing students get their own uniforms and belts. The uniforms help remind everyone that we are first and foremost a martial arts school. The belts help remind TKB students that they're working toward a goal: their TKB Black Belt.

Advancement Procedures and Requirements
    Each time you complete a class our instructors will award you a white success stripe that goes on your belt. For every ten success stripes you earn, we will replace the white success stripes with a thick red marker stripe. Once you have attained all the necessary stripes needed for your belt level you will be ready for your belt promotion test. Successfully pass the test and you will advance to the next belt level! Here are the belt testing requirements:

belt
    stripes

min. time

push-upssit-upsheavy bagcode of ethicsotherwhite

3 months

15 in 1 minute15 in 1 minute2 2-minute rounds#1noneyellow

3 months

25 in 2 minutes25 in 2 minutes4 2-minute rounds#1 and #2noneorange

3 months

35 in 2 minutes35 in 2 minutes6 2-minute rounds#1 thru #3nonegreen

4 months

50 in 3 minutes50 in 3 minutes7 2-minute rounds#1 thru #4palm heel strike board breakblue

4 months

60 in 3 minutes60 in 3 minutes8 2-minute rounds#1 thru #5skip side kick board breakpurple

4 months

70 in 3 minutes70 in 3 minutes9 2-minute rounds#1 thru #7rear horizontal strike board breakred

5 months

80 in 3 minutes80 in 3 minutes10 2-minute rounds#1 thru #9rear vertical knee strike board break and 1-mile run in 10 minutesbrown

5 months

90 in 3 minutes90 in 3 minutes11 2-minute rounds#1 thru #11back leg front kick board break and 2-mile run in 20 minutesblack

5 months
    100 in 3 minutes100 in 3 minutes12 2-minute rounds#1 thru #13axe kick board break and 3-mile run in 30 minutesIn addition to these requirements, Junior Muay Thai students must earn a courtesy stripe and at least three life skills stripes before each belt promotion. If you earn ten or more life skills stripes you'll get a life skills medal too!
    this is from their website. this sounds completley mcdojo to me and not real muay thai at all.
    neway any stories about trans can anybody vouch for trans muay thai program.
    i looked up trans and trans martial arts on the search function before i posted this, nothing came up. sorry if this has been up here before but i couldnt find it on a search.
    there website is http://www.transmartialarts.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 5:08am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post, how much time did you waste there?
    I wonder if they even teach them real muay thai techniques or if its just tae kwon do with thai pads. Tae pads? lol
    You should go back for a "TKB" class and tell us what it was like.

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Good post, how much time did you waste there?
    I wonder if they even teach them real muay thai techniques or if its just tae kwon do with thai pads. Tae pads? lol
    You should go back for a "TKB" class and tell us what it was like.
    i wasted a year there when i was younger it saddens me because i was going to either join judo or trans. i probably would have spent more time there if it wasnt so damn expensive.
    "tae pads" well what else would they use for tae kicks
    i would go back just to sit in on a class but since im pretty sure they have my name on record they probably wouldnt let me in without signing my life away.
    it sounds lot like there just teaching there old tkd stuff just imposing a stricter exercises and then throw in a couple knees and they say it muay thai. and i guess their mt belt system is camo belts with a colored strip down the middle.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you trained there before, just tell them that you're interested in picking up training again, but you want to see if the new material is something you find fun.

i'm sure he'll let you get a trial lesson or two in.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 7:05pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all the fact that they are issuing belts with a pre set curriculum requirement to earn said belt in Bullshit. Secondly look at the requirements;

"Each time you complete a class our instructors will award you a white success stripe that goes on your belt. For every ten success stripes you earn, we will replace the white success stripes with a thick red marker stripe. Once you have attained all the necessary stripes needed for your belt level you will be ready for your belt promotion test. Successfully pass the test and you will advance to the next belt level! Here are the belt testing requirements: "

belt stripes min. time push-ups sit-ups heavy bag code of ethics other

white 24 3 months 15 in 1 minute 15 in 1 minute 2 2-minute rounds #1 none

yellow 24 3 months 25 in 2 minutes 25 in 2 minutes 4 2-minute rounds #1 and #2 none

orange 24 3 months 35 in 2 minutes 35 in 2 minutes 6 2-minute rounds #1 thru #3 none

green 32 4 months 50 in 3 minutes 50 in 3 minutes 7 2-minute rounds #1 thru #4 palm heel strike board break

blue 32 4 months 60 in 3 minutes 60 in 3 minutes 8 2-minute rounds #1 thru #5 skip side kick board break

purple 32 4 months 70 in 3 minutes 70 in 3 minutes 9 2-minute rounds #1 thru #7 rear horizontal strike board break

red 40 5 months 80 in 3 minutes 80 in 3 minutes 10 2-minute rounds #1 thru #9 rear vertical knee strike board break and 1-mile run in 10 minutes

brown 40 5 months 90 in 3 minutes 90 in 3 minutes 11 2-minute rounds #1 thru #11 back leg front kick board break and 2-mile run in 20 minutes

black 40 5 months 100 in 3 minutes 100 in 3 minutes 12 2-minute rounds #1 thru #13 axe kick board break and 3-mile run in 30 minutes

You break everything down and your looking at a minimum of 3 years to get a "Black Belt" in Muay Thai. Excuse me while I go throw up.

This isn't just blatant McDojoism, in my opinion, it's insulting.

To be fair I am basing my opinions completely on their website. I suggest that you contact them by email and pretend to be a potential new student looking for Muay Thai. Ask who the instructor is and who he was certified under. Basically you want a lineage, who is the progenitor of their new Muay Thai program? Who knows maybe it's somebody well known and highly respected in the MT community, but I kind of doubt it.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post

palm heel strike board break

skip side kick board break

axe kick board break
    I've been studying Muay Thai for four years. First off, I've never broken a board. Second I've never seen those techniques performed by a Muay Thai practicioner.

lookie here, found a review of the class written by a professional journalist, not somebody who knows anything about martial arts for the record...
    Trans Martial Arts and Fitness Center, 3101 28th St., Boulder, 303-402-9460, www.transmartialarts.com
    Instructor: Six different instructors alternate teaching this class. All instructors are certified to teach Muy Thai. The instructors have varying backgrounds; some have been doing martial arts all their lives, while others were students or fitness enthusiasts.
    -- Reported by Aimee Heckel
    pulled from http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...ai-kickboxing/
    this is my favorite part
    Six different instructors alternate teaching this class. All instructors are certified to teach Muy Thai.
    Anybody wanna email the school and ask how these instructors are "certified"?
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 3/24/2011 3:01pm at .

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sounds like they just renamed there tae bo program muay thai and just added in a couple things like breaking, fancier kicks and counting in thai. ill try to go and sit in on a class and find out what "tkb" is and who there instructors are. the only problem is i no longer live in colorado, i will be up there in a couple weeks tho so thats when ill go check it out.
    one question they claim to have 6 qualified muay thai instructors. are there even 6 qualified muay thai instructors in northern colorado?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 3:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zapatismo View Post
    one question they claim to have 6 qualified muay thai instructors. are there even 6 qualified muay thai instructors in northern colorado?
    Well, they might very well be qualified to run a class... I mean, I teach the fundamentals class at my school and I think I do a damn fine job, but I'm definitely not qualified enough to train a Muay Thai fight team. That's what the head instructor is there for.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 10:50am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a Cardio Kickboxing class fused with TKD, not Muay Thai. That's why I bolded the board break stuff. Never seen it done, especially with the techniques that are listed.
    安氏八极拳学生

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 10:55am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's Muay Thai Kwon Do. It may be a McDojo, but how is the instruction? It looks like a TKD school that is jumping on the MMA bandwagin without going to instructing BJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast