United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 9:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Differences/getting prepared

So, I'm joining the Air Force (or Army), and in preparation for basic (as i want to get the best rifle qualification there is) my Dad has been teaching me all about his AR-15.

Now, I can take it apart and put it back together. Blindfolded (swear to god). He says its not really all that different from the M16, with the differences being the m16 has a "burst" setting on it, rather then just safe and fire. Are there any other noticeable differences, that would make shooting the AR different from the M16, (or taking it apart, for that matter)

Now on to qualifications:

I've shot a few times, usually just my .22 rifle, a 9mm high point, and a 9mm dae woo (handgun) or my dad's .45. I'm a pretty good shot, but I'm nervous about the quals.

Any tips to get better at shooting, fast? Last time i shot, i did really well, but that was years and years ago, and i've never shot anything like the AR.

Like, tips or drills i can do at the range to increase my accuracy? My dad is going to help me, and he's a fantastic shot. Former Marine, and a champion pistol shot, but still, i'm open to as many different techniques as i can learn....

Thanks for the help

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 10:38pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice would be to do whatever your drill instructor tells you. They're going to teach you a certain way, and Basic Training isn't the place to tell them otherwise. It is good that you're familiar with the weapon already, though. I haven't found that the AR and the M-16 are appreciably different aside from the burst setting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it too bad. Just practice your sight alignment. That is the most important thing. That and learning to control your breathing. Once you get those down, they will apply to most weapons. But when you go through basic, they will teach you every thing you need to know.

So which are you going to do Army or Air force, and why?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 10:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Air Force, for the quality of life and amenities, plus, i've wanted to join the Air Force since i was in the 4th grade, just kinda lost site of that goal. (Besides, Cpt. Scot O'grady was in the Air Force, and he's a bad ass mother fucker)

There is a (slight) chance i might not be able to join the Air Force, for reasons i'm going to keep off the boards. If this happens, i'll join the Army.

Yeah, my Dad gave me the whole, "Do wtf they tell you" talk, and i plan on heeding his advice. I just want to be as prepared as possible, you know?

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I grew up on Marine Corps bases my whole life. My brother was in the Army. No doubt that USAF bases were always nicer. I train with a guy who is an MP in the USAF and loves it. I have also worked with Army MPs. They love it too but a lot of them have ended up watching detainees lately.

Either way it is exciting. I'm stoked for you!

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 9:09am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    My advice would be to do whatever your drill instructor tells you. They're going to teach you a certain way, and Basic Training isn't the place to tell them otherwise. It is good that you're familiar with the weapon already, though. I haven't found that the AR and the M-16 are appreciably different aside from the burst setting.
    Unless you get into the trigger mechanism (which you won't, because you will get smushed if you try to), they are basically the same thing.

As far as getting the best qual scores possible, that's a noble goal, but your DIs or DSs aren't going to care that much how you do, as long as you pass. If you join the Air Force for intel, you are likely never going to use a weapon again after BMT. For intel in the Army, obviously, it depends. Things vary from seeing a crappy Vietnam era M16A1 that's been upgraded to an M16A2 once a year for quals at Gordon or Mead, to having a **** hot M4A1 tricked out with all the optics and upgrades you could dream of, along with your choice of sidearm, that you shoot all the time.

At any rate, just do what they say and you'll be fine.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 9:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, thanks for your replies guys.

While i know the TS (training instructors in the Air Force ;P) won't care how I do, I will. Besides, being qualified as a marksman certainly isn't a bad thing, right?

I mean, i'm striving for the max PFT score, too. I just want as many options as possible, you know?

/droll M4A1...

I agree with moosey

Infidel

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 10:12am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO when you go into basic having given yourself pre-training with anything other than physical fitness your in for a bad time.

If you're going airforce then learning how to shoot probably isn't the highest on your list, especially if your joining because of the quality of life.

Go outside, find a big piece of **** and pick it up in your bare hands. Don't want to? That's the average sentiment of an airforce dude picking up a rifle.
    Why? The rest of them joined for the same reason as you want to.

I hate instructing students and have them say I already know how to shoot. I already know how to march. I already know first aid.
    They ALWAYS feel the need to pass on advice to other recruits. And I know you're going to say "Well don't worry about me, I'll just keep my mouth shut".
    Wrong. Everyone says that. No one keeps their mouth shut, the need is just too much for people to keep it to themselves.

If your dad is a former marine (didn't you say force recon?) and champion pistol shooter then listen to him.
    As far as getting ready just work on PT. (Something everyone also already pretends they do, but don't)
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic training isn't that hard. Qualifying isn't that hard. And if you are looking at the Air Force I would worry even less. Marksmanship has gotten harder over the years with the addition of body armor, and the addition of the kneeling position but as long as you follow instructions you will be fine.

Be safe when you qualify. Qualify the first time. Move on. Qualification at basic training doesn't mean ****. Shooting well is important, but in country you will be shooting with optics.

Be in good shape when you arrive.

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 6:49pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post
    Be safe when you qualify. Qualify the first time. Move on. Qualification at basic training doesn't mean ****. Shooting well is important, but in country you will be shooting with optics.

Be in good shape when you arrive.
    Sage advice.

Rant:

Truthfully, a lot of units don't even qualify with iron sights anymore. The last time I qualified, it was with an EL-CAN, which makes qualification not even fair. When I qualify on Monday, it will be with either an EL-CAN or an EOTech, whichever I feel like using. When I do CQB ****, it's usually at night with IR Laser, flood, and NODS, which really isn't fair. Once my IR is zeroed, I can fire from the hip and still hit everything, if I want to. Why would we do that? Because it's more realistic, even if it's easier. When am I going to use iron sights if I have that many optics available to me? It's sort of like qualifying with a bow and arrow instead of a rifle.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast