2/20/2009 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** A CZ!!!

Go JERICHO/Baby Eagle!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 9:55pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with the Desert Eagle is that they are expensive and they are not exactly the kind of gun you can conceal. The 357 magnum someone mentioned caught my interest.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glock 19

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp View Post
    Glock 19
    I can get behind that. I'm still a proud owner of a Glock 19 and still CC it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1911s are the true way of the jedi.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 1:00am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

IMO for concealable handguns you should narrow your options down based on the following (and probably in this order):

revolver vs mag fed
    metal vs polymer frame for mag fed
    caliber

Revolvers have certain tactical advantages and disadvantages vs pistols. Lower capacity, shorter sight picture and barrel length on the average carry revolver (which are mainly snubbies), slower reloads, etc. would be a few disadvantages. Reliability, safety, ease of use, being a few advantages. The ability to reliably fire from inside a pocket. I dunno, other things too but I'm too tired to think of them.

Within revolvers you have a few choices relating to concealed carry i.e. material and weight vs handling of the caliber, as in a lighter snubby is more difficult to handle in .357 vs .38 +P, a heavier snubby might be more cumbersome than you are comfortable carrying, etc etc. Also concealed hammers vs shrouded hammers vs standard hammer, IMO shrouded is the best of both worlds but whatever.

For caliber any quality hollow point will have similar performance to any other making the ballistic differences almost insignificant. Handling and capacity are more important IMO and therefore nine is fine, but .40 is fine enough if you really want the slightly larger wound channel. .45 adds alot of weight and significantly lowers capacity and/or significantly changes the dimensions of the pistol making significant tradeoffs for concealed carry.

For polymers if you need it to be indestructible get a Glock, if you need it to function and don't need the tennifer get a Taurus, if you want to spend more money because you are afraid of a lack of external safeties or if you just really prefer the grip angle of it vs. the Glock to the tune of $150-$200 extra get a Springfield. The rest aren't worth mentioning, IMO. The cheaper ones aren't as good as Taurus and the more expensive ones bring nothing new to the table vs. Glock or Springfield (not that they're bad, just nothing new to the table).

For metals there's the da/sa crowd (sig and usp etc) and there's the 1911. Go for the da/sa's if you're not comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911.

meh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 1:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235 View Post
    I have for years been shooting my dads guns ever since he started taking me shooting. But my 21 birthday is coming up at the end of this year and my dad is thinking about getting my first gun. I am also planning on getting my CCW. We still haven't decided on a specific model yet and I want some recommendations.

I would like something powerful, semi-automatic, and reasonably accurate that can double as a self defense weapon; preferably not a shotgun as they are not allowed on the riffle range I go to.

I am sorry if this sounds like a n00b question, but I couldn't find a n00b discussion sub forum for firearm discussion.

Thanks in advance.
    Self defense. LOL A gun as self defense is only of any use if you have it on you, and then you got to ask your self "Would I really kill someone?" Go out and by your self a good rifle and go shoot up some targets or go hunting if that floats your boat. As far as self defense goes, don't go out into the hood at night.

Peter

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Walther PPK is very sexy.

Goes nice with an Armani suit.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 2:02am

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by museumtech View Post
    Self defense. LOL A gun as self defense is only of any use if you have it on you, and then you got to ask your self "Would I really kill someone?" Go out and by your self a good rifle and go shoot up some targets or go hunting if that floats your boat. As far as self defense goes, don't go out into the hood at night.

Peter
    The OP lives in Florida not Australia. That means he has the option of getting a concealed carry permit and having it on him pretty much anywhere he wants.
    As for asking himself whether he is up to potentially killing somebody and not running around dark alleys waving money around. No **** Sherlock. You should also remember to breathe every few seconds and tie your shoes before you go out the front door.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2009 2:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    The OP lives in Florida not Australia. That means he has the option of getting a concealed carry permit and having it on him pretty much anywhere he wants.
    As for asking himself whether he is up to potentially killing somebody and not running around dark alleys waving money around. No **** Sherlock. You should also remember to breathe every few seconds and tie your shoes before you go out the front door.
    Rugby Guy, If we go back to the original post

"I would like something powerful, semi-automatic, and reasonably accurate that can double as a self defense weapon; preferably not a shotgun as they are not allowed on the riffle range I go to. "

The impression I get is that Mike is talking about something bigger and longer and less 'concealable. Hence, as a self defense piece, my comment stands.

Thanks for the breathing tip. .. trip...****! missed the bit about shoelaces.

:coffee2:

Peter
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast