Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 1:42pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking about getting my first Gun

I have for years been shooting my dads guns ever since he started taking me shooting. But my 21 birthday is coming up at the end of this year and my dad is thinking about getting my first gun. I am also planning on getting my CCW. We still haven't decided on a specific model yet and I want some recommendations.

I would like something powerful, semi-automatic, and reasonably accurate that can double as a self defense weapon; preferably not a shotgun as they are not allowed on the riffle range I go to.

I am sorry if this sounds like a n00b question, but I couldn't find a n00b discussion sub forum for firearm discussion.

Thanks in advance.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 2:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pistol or rifle?

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it.

.45 ACP
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 2:59pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For power: the desert eagle in .50 Action express. But it is too big and heavy for realistic concealed carry. Ammo is pricey. You'll turn heads though.

A good carry piece could be a CZ-75 in 9mm. Small (but not tiny), lightweight, high-quality. 17 rounds means you will get bored before it's time to reload. 9mm is cheap.

Of course, everyone will make fun of me if I don't mention the colt 1911 in .45ACP. Gun people love these things so much I'm actually afraid to admit that I don't LOVE these guns, but it's an ergonomics issue. Truth told, it has plenty of stopping power, and it is one of the most reliable and time-tested weapons you can get.

If you care to look at revolvers, there is no substitute for .357 magnum. Shoot cheap .38's all day, and load it with man-stopping magnums for when you go out. My daily carry piece holds 7, so don't let them bitch about capacity (1911 only holds eight). Not to mention revolver reliability.

Or you can go hog wild with a .454 Casull or SW 500. Because you never know when you are going to have to take out an elephant or airplane.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 3:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a XD9 for my first handgun and love it.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to recommend a GLOCK 17, because I had a GLOCK as a first handgun. But then when I had to change a SIG Sauer, it took some getting used to as it was a bit more complex to fire and maintain. The GLOCK was idiot-proof, which normally sounds like a good idea for a first gun, but I would recommend getting used to the more complex DA/SA, external safeties, etc. before getting a GLOCK.

That being said, I would say something like a Walther PPK in .32 ACP would be a great first handgun.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SIGs are some of the best firearms I have ever used. I am a big fan of the P226, but the P229 is a little bit smaller.

Their newest weapon is the P250, which is modular, allowing you to change caliber, frame size, and whatnot, without the need for add'l permits for the add'l calibers. Currently, I think it is available with 9mm cambering and a compact frame. It should be available in .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .357 SIG in full size, compact, and sub compact sometime soon.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...?categoryid=54
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    For power: the desert eagle in .50 Action express. But it is too big and heavy for realistic concealed carry. Ammo is pricey. You'll turn heads though.

The problem with the desert eagle is that two lanes either side of you will be people with a loaded pairs of pants. The noise and concussion from those puppies are formidable.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    The problem with the desert eagle is that two lanes either side of you will be people with a loaded pairs of pants. The noise and concussion from those puppies are formidable.
    I have the .357 DE. Cheaper ammo, larger mags, and if I can't drop it with a .357, I would be running. That and it is a little quieter and easier to handle. Mind you, I'm 6'3" and I weight 235lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 4:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For carry purposes, instead of a CZ 75, CZ makes a full metal frame compact model, the P01, which is actually really fun to shoot. I forget the magazine capacity.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast