Posted On:
    2/19/2009 2:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Core Strength Training

Guys,
    I am an old fart (42) who has decided to get back into some serious training after a significant training lay-off (shoulder & knee rebuilds). I am training traditional Ju Jitsu twice a week.

I am happy with my base fitness levels now and would like to improve
    core-strength. Before moving in to a weights regime.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dutch

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 5:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho will probably be in a bit later to tell you to read the stickies in this forum so I'm going to pre-empt him and suggest you do just that. There's a wealth of information in there for you.

More specifically, try these:

Stronger not bigger - No BS Martial Arts

Front Squats vs Full Squats, Ab Crunches vs Sit Ups - No BS Martial Arts
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 5:50am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make it a bit easier for you, google Stronglifts 5x5 and start on that. I know you said you wanted to start a weight regime after getting core strength, but, you get core strength from a weights regime. Start Stronglifts, it starts off with very low (bar only) weights.

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 5:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys appreciate the replies. Time to start sweating I suppose.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I'm normally sweating like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs by the time i've finished warming up.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 4:54am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If crunches or situps are boring do Dragon Flags. Hardcore and hella fun.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 12:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie_Boy View Post
    Guys,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    like the men said, squats and deadlifts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 1:10pm

Style: TKD, Arnis, Catch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also define core strength. I have heard "core" refer to the abs or the entire trunk (chest, back and abs). Either way, squats and deadlifts. Make sure you look up how to do deadlifts first. You can seriously injure your self if you get even one thing wrong in that lift. Once you get the hang of it though it's awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 4:01pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Compound lifts will be the best for core strenght. Squats, Deadlifts,Goodmornings. Practice with light weight untill your form is good. For more isolation, I would also incorporate Hyperextions, cable crunches, and pillar Bridges/Planks, side planks, and V-ups/ Jacknives. Don't over due the sit-ups and crunches although don't not do them. But doing hundreds of crunches every day is not really going to do that much. Abdominal muscles require rest just like every other muscle so I wouldn't work them every single day. However they don't seem to need as much recovery time as other muscles, I wouldn't do isolated core exercises more than 4 or 5 times per week

Posted On:
    2/23/2009 4:27pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following two links are my favorite resources for "core" training. If you ever want to totally fry your abs though, there is nothing harder than a "janda" sit-up.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1515405

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...or_smart_folks

Personally I prefer to target the core as an accessory to other exercises rather than focussing on it strictly since it gets hit pretty hard with most compound exercises anyhow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast