Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Thanks! I thought about street hockey gloves. I know the DBMA guys punch with them on, but I waffled at using a non-martial arts product for this purpose. What's your experience striking with these? Is it comparable to using a real striking glove? What about grappling? Again, I've seen it work for Dog Brothers, but I'm curious.
    For weapons sparring (and perhaps in the future for MMA-style sparrin at the karate dojo...ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaanges) we use the Ninja thin gloves, medium hockey gloves with rubber/plastic on the outside, or the Kenpo thick articulated gloves for weapons sparring, and I prefer the ninja gloves for weapons work, but the hockey stuff for punching. The Bruce Lee/kenpo gloves are way too big for anything useful IMO, but take a look.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    For weapons sparring (and perhaps in the future for MMA-style sparrin at the karate dojo...ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaanges) we use the Ninja thin gloves, medium hockey gloves with rubber/plastic on the outside, or the Kenpo thick articulated gloves for weapons sparring, and I prefer the ninja gloves for weapons work, but the hockey stuff for punching. The Bruce Lee/kenpo gloves are way too big for anything useful IMO, but take a look.

What are the 'ninja' gloves you speak of, and do they bestow ninja powers?

Seriously, what are the Ninja gloves. I use MMA style gloves for sparring, and Blackhawk Solags for SD and bag work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 11:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance View Post
    these are pretty comfortable probably the only "protective glove" besides a light batting glove that im comfortable using in kali with live stick. (can't stand hockey/lacrosse/etc gloves)

enough control/grip/flexibility for grappling and given that its more of a kali/kendo type glove
    has pretty good protection for empty hand as i've used it in both scenarios.

its a ronin products stryker glove
    a bit expensive but ive yet to find a better glove for my purposes.
    Ninja gloves. They come with a dumb hat that's about RONIN NINJAS YAAAAR but they're quality despite the marketing.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 12:15pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of sparring is he doing? MMA, Kickboxing, Boxing...

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman View Post
    What kind of sparring is he doing? MMA, Kickboxing, Boxing...
    Hit page back and look at the bottom for a vid. Its called Hybrid Fighting. Basically San Shou rules with a timed submissions wrestling phase.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    What about Shooto gloves?

Probably not what the op is looking for. It's nice but doesn't cover the fingers.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit page back and look at the bottom for a vid. Its called Hybrid Fighting. Basically San Shou rules with a timed submissions wrestling phase.
    so to be clear, was the headgear that caused the hand injury like the ones shown in that video, or was it the space helmet style (plastic bubble face guard)?

the ones shown in that video are my personal pet peeve. i hate them. they are totally worthless unless your goal is to end up with nasty hand injuries.

we are stuck with using them for lei tai fights, and despite my lobbying for an equipment change, they don't seem to be going anywhere.

my best estimation is that 50% of the lei tai competitors injure their hands on those fucking things, so i would say that it's not the glove that is the problem. it's the retarded headgear.

just use boxing head gear with cheek and chin protection... it's not like that elaborate plastic cage is going to protect you, it usually just mashes in and breaks your nose anyway if you get hit really hard. i personally saw a guy get his nose broken sideways (like rich franklin) after getting hit with a solid cross, while wearing that retarded head gear.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    so to be clear, was the headgear that caused the hand injury like the ones shown in that video, or was it the space helmet style (plastic bubble face guard)?

the ones shown in that video are my personal pet peeve. i hate them. they are totally worthless unless your goal is to end up with nasty hand injuries.

we are stuck with using them for lei tai fights, and despite my lobbying for an equipment change, they don't seem to be going anywhere.

my best estimation is that 50% of the lei tai competitors injure their hands on those fucking things, so i would say that it's not the glove that is the problem. it's the retarded headgear.

just use boxing head gear with cheek and chin protection... it's not like that elaborate plastic cage is going to protect you, it usually just mashes in and breaks your nose anyway if you get hit really hard. i personally saw a guy get his nose broken sideways (like rich franklin) after getting hit with a solid cross, while wearing that retarded head gear.
    Thanks for the knowledgable reply Ming. I shouldn't have said space helmet. It is the face cage kind. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the headgear, as it is the official head gear of that sport. Aren't you guys using boxing gloves for your LT fights, or is this some sort underground intra-school thing and not san shou proper?

With so many people getting injured by these helmets I would hope that

a) they stop making it
    b) people stop blaming the fighter for getting hurt
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the knowledgable reply Ming. I shouldn't have said space helmet. It is the face cage kind. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the headgear, as it is the official head gear of that sport. Aren't you guys using boxing gloves for your LT fights, or is this some sort underground intra-school thing and not san shou proper?

With so many people getting injured by these helmets I would hope that

a) they stop making it
    b) people stop blaming the fighter for getting hurt
    well for one thing lei tai =/= san shou, lei tai is fought with fingerless gloves, those face cage helmets, and a cup. no shin guards, and you have to be dressed in the provided sweatpants and t-shirt (one fighter in yellow, one fighter in blue.)

a few years back the required gloves were these, which provide almost no protection to the fingers and knuckles:

i lobbied to get shooto gloves allowed but some of the refs didn't like them. then i lobbied for the combat sports safety mma gloves, and those seem to be ok with the refs (although those dumb cobra mitts are still the "official" gear used.)

i had no such luck with the headgear. the official reason is that since elbows and knees to the head are allowed, the face cage is needed to protect the face. my point that the only thing the face cage does effectively is to impair your vision did nothing to change anyone's mind.

i think that a lot of the guys are traditional kung fu guys who think that punching with a closed fist to the head will always break your hand. so when people complain about the face cage and hand injuries, we get a lot of "you should be using palm strikes to the head anyway" responses.

never mind that using palm strikes to those face cages is actually a really good way to get a finger caught and broken.

logic doesn't work on these guys. i gave up.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB
    If someone could move this to Strikeistan and then ban Choke/Cracky/Roid/whatever for any subsequent trolling, that would be swell.
    I think there is a consensus that you're more unintentionally annoying than I am intentionally...and less funny.

Quote Originally Posted by WW
    Argh! Sport Jujitsu gayness! Not bad for little kids, though.

To be clear, you don't just want second knuckle protection, you want the whole finger? Because I'd go with Harbingers, they protect the second knuckle and look nifty. They're also made with really nice leather and are very durable.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast