Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 3:24pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You all got to remember that the stronglifts 5x5 progamme is aimed as a beginners (hence being called the stronglifts 5x5 beginners programme). It specifically has squatting heavy 3 times a week, with weight increases each time only until you have deloaded 3 times, or until you can squat 1.5 times your body weight. Once you can do that it recommends going onto an intermediate programme like the stronglifts advanced programme, which was weekly weight increases and light days etc..

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol View Post
    If you're not a rank beginner squatting heavy 3 times a week will crush your CNS.
    Well, it all depends on how heavy. Around 7-5RM heavy or 3-1RM heavy? :)

With a 5x5 scheme (not just stronglifts, but any 5x5), it is doable. You can stay at it for years and get big numbers Obviously not the same as doing a full WSB-like program or equivalent, but heavy enough within.

With a program that includes a ME day (3RM and up) per week, there is no way in hell, beginner or not, to squat or deadlift more than twice a week w/o frying the CNS as you said.

As for the risk of overtraining with a 5x5, at least the StrongLifts program assumes periodic tapering as well as ways to determine when a lifter needs to taper.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 3:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, BJJ, Kapap

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    update: im no longer using 5x5 and instead switched to Turbulence Training for fat loss.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol View Post
    If you're not a rank beginner squatting heavy 3 times a week will crush your CNS.
    I raised my squat from 425 to 475 squatting heavy 3 times a week.

Hell, Olympic lifters have been known to train heavy 12 times per week, if not more.

Proper programming is key.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 2:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I raised my squat from 425 to 475 squatting heavy 3 times a week.

Hell, Olympic lifters have been known to train heavy 12 times per week, if not more.

Proper programming is key.
    "Heavy" is a relative term, Oly lifters have carefully controlled intensity. Plus if we talking about the oly lifters that are training 12 times a week these are the genetically elite quite probably with chemical assistance and perfectly keyed in nutrition.

I believe that for a large proportion of the population squatting heavy 3 times a week plus deading heavy will crush your CNS and result in a reversal of gains in time. Most top powerlifters only squat/dead heavy once a week. Those who have increased volume have carefully controlled intensity i.e. Sheiko.

I'm incredibly impressed if you increased your 5rm on a week to week or workout to workout basis whilst squatting three times a week. If you did a volume, light and max day with controlled intensity ala Bill Starr I wouldn't be as surprised.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said only a rank beginner would make progress, and now you are altering that to a "non-elite" level lifter, which I don't disagree with. However, an intermediate lifter will still be able to progress squatting 3 times per week heavy. A deload will be necessary, but that's true of all heavy training.

And yup, was able to generally increase my 5rm every week following Pavel's 3-5 protocol. There was no light/max day. Each training day, 3x5 sets of squats, trying for more reps each day until eventually a full 3x5 was acheived, then a weight increase followed.

No, an elite level lifter could not train this way, but few people are such. Train smart, program well, deload when needed, and you can easily squat heavy 3 times a week.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12