Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 11:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Friends look at me like I'm crazy because I try to be healthy.... Anyone else?

Hey guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to, but hearing so is always better. So I'm eating 6 good meals a day, no carbs after lunch. All whole foods, etc. Currently on the 5X5 beginner strength training program and taking muay thai classes 3x per week.

Anyway, do your friends/family think you're nuts for being so strict and/or seemingly ridiculous (to them) with nutrition or training? Moreso nutrition I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 1:28am

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people act pretty surprised when I say I can't/don't eat certain things. It's like..."hey, you're in pretty good shape, you shouldn't have to watch what you're eating!" I don't really understand that reasoning.

Then they go on about how they'd like to get in better shape, but if they have to eat clean to do it, they'd rather "enjoy the good things in life" and "accept themselves for who they are." Ice cream and donuts are good and all, but I feel pretty awful physically and mentally if that I eat that kind of stuff with any regularity.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 4:23am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing some late night grocery shopping, and at the check out, I looked around and realised the guy in front of me was buying chef boyardee and ice cream, the kid behind me had 12 pop and the woman behind him had a cart full of potato chips and pastries.

I was buying organic veggies and some other items I'd forgotten for my wild rice and mixed seafood "fried" rice I was making. It made me sad; we are the only society in the world where poor people are fat.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 6:45am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I was buying organic veggies and some other items I'd forgotten for my wild rice and mixed seafood "fried" rice I was making. It made me sad; we are the only society in the world where poor people are fat.
    It kinda makes sense in a sad way: grease is cheap. Nutrients aren't.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 8:50am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    It kinda makes sense in a sad way: grease is cheap. Nutrients aren't
    Leave grease alone. It's refined carbohydrates are that are making our poor into our obese.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielson
    Hey guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to, but hearing so is always better. So I'm eating 6 good meals a day, no carbs after lunch. All whole foods, etc. Currently on the 5X5 beginner strength training program and taking muay thai classes 3x per week.

Anyway, do your friends/family think you're nuts for being so strict and/or seemingly ridiculous (to them) with nutrition or training? Moreso nutrition I guess.

Ielson, I've renamed the title of your thread from "Friends look at me like I'm crazy... Anyone else?" to "Friends look at me like I'm crazy because I try to be healthy... Anyone else?"

Make sure your threads in the PT forum have a title that is meaningful and in context with the purpose of this particular forum, which is to discuss matters of physical training and health (both physical and mental/emotional.) Regarding your question, let's put more meat in its context.

Are you asking out of curiosity, or because you want to know how to deal with those people who think you are nuts? Asking such a question expecting simple yes/no answers do not have much purpose in this forum, so be warned.

To answer your question, heck yeah. It's not just for health dude. If you study hard, people think you are crazy. If you work your ass off trying to make a career, people think you are crazy. If you try to be healthy, people think you are crazy.

But it's not that they think they are crazy. They instinctively suggest that there is something wrong with you to justify their less than stellar efforts in they area they are criticizing.

When I was at college (and working at Home Depot) a good number of my co-workers were laughing at the idea, that I was stupid and "wasting my time" - it takes a particular type of incredibly sand and dumb person to think it is a waste of time to get a college degree, an education, a trade or anything that can help you in life. Mind you not all my co-workers were like that; there were a lot of college students also working with me, and they had to go through the same innocuous but annoying ****.

Even with trivial things people might want to bag on you.

Example, I had long hair back then, a big ass ponytail, and these same co-workers, many of them bald were criticizing me saying that I was going to be bold like them so why bother. I don't have a ponytail anymore, and I'm certainly not going bald, and for the **** of it I shave it sometimes like Kojak.

People see you working out, and they tell you "Why do you do that, why do you bother with jogging and eating all these green things? You are slender already!!!"

No fucking **** you fucking dumb animal, a person is in shape because he/she is working out. Those are the words that I keep trapping and pushing back before they leave my vocal chords, but I digress.

The fact is that, in many areas, people are chumps. I'm pretty sure you and I are also chumps in some areas. But here comes the difference, there are chumps in something who know it and accept it, and there are chumps who hate seeing people who aren't.

These type of negative chumps are **** magnets, and they'll try to pull you down with them. Whether it's work, health, or ethics, they'll try to pull you down with them because they can't stand seeing someone doing better than them...

.. and you have to weed them out, smoke them the the **** out of your life. You don't have to be cruel, but you have to have no remorse. You are the average of the people around you.

I have very few friends in real life. Some of them try to live healthy, some don't. Some try to have a career, and some don't. They are like me, try to excel in some and accept we don't just give a crap on others. And they are happy if I excel in something that they don't (and I feel the same towards them.) They never try to pull me down, and I never try to pull them down as well.

If you have friends, even family who look at you crazy, constantly and negatively, for doing something that you know it's good and right for you, and if they are doing it to the point that it becomes a drag and a painful chore to deal with, that's the writings on the wall tell you to change crows dude.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/14/2009 10:05am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 10:54am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Macho, thanks for the title change etc, this was my first new thread. I guess I was specifically looking to just see that other people get the same 'You're eating THAT?' looks when they cook up steel cut oats, or snack on a protein bar or what have you.

I've made sweeping changes to my diet in the last month or so, and feel great. My friends are the 'happy I'm happy' type but still look at me like I've got a third head with a lot of things I eat an do.

Ah well. Its good to know I'm not the only one. As a side note maybe from someone outside the US, is this an American thing or a people thing to look down or strangely at those who make an extra-ordinary effort?

**Edited for Paragraphs**

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get that everywhere in one form or another. It's human nature.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMacho
    These type of negative chumps are **** magnets, and they'll try to pull you down with them. Whether it's work, health, or ethics, they'll try to pull you down with them because they can't stand seeing someone doing better than them...
    ^^^^
    this

It is easier for some people to make a disparaging comment about your food then for them to look at their own food intake and see it is unhealthy and lacking.

To do this would force them to work to make actual change and some people are just too lazy about it. They lack the courage and discipline to affect actual change through work and effort.

The old "Easier to tear someone else down then build yourself up" adage.

Play it up to the hilt. When they say "You really gonna eat that?"

Answer, "No, I'm gonna eat two of them. One now and one later and they are awesome. I feel SO GOOD after eating that.....not all sluggish and tired and bloated and sick like I did when eating a burger....man, I can't believe the difference....I want to fucking take on the world."

oh and LOL at Teh El Ponytail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:01am

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know exactly how you feel, this happens to me just because I always order water when I go out to eat. Everyone always thinks it's ridiculous, but I havn't drank sodas for years and I don't desire them at all. If I'm going to treat myself to something good and unhealthy, it sure as hell is not going to be a soda.
    I also get the same "your already in good shape why do you work out so much" or "why do you eat so healhty".The funny thing is, these are people that knew me back when I was a fat fucker. Eating healhty and working out is how I became fit. I guess some people are under the impression that once you become fit you can't put on fat anymore.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast