Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by matzahbal
    Omega, damn good post, damn good :)
    Go tell it to Liddell, punk.:p
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah. supporting member
    Style
    Buffalo Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pat, most of the people me and omega know that do Kempo are form the Villari "Shaolin" Kempo system, and they have a very politicaly bastardized history of the system...of course i'm talking about the west coast people :)
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Style
    Be Happy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Patfromlogan. Really informited post!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Re: Good Kempo History Site

Originally posted by miguksaram
    How has it been discredited?
    Well, later I'll try to document it more, but some info is here http://www.tracyskarate.com/History/Mitose/Mitose.htm
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at Vallari's site on line and it looks like he claims three hundred thousand black belts, ten million students and sells a lot of videos.

A lot of Kempo people still give the old crapola: Bhodidarma taught Ed Parker or something.

(stolen from Tracy)
    SIFU: Grasshopper, spell it any way you want: Gung-Fu; Kung-Fu or Gong-fu – the C’han monks taught unarmed martial arts but it did not originate in the Shaolin Temple!

Grasshopper: But Sifu, all the TV Shows, Movies, Books and Magazines show the Shaolin monks using all kinds of weapons!"

SIFU: monks were forbidden to use any weapon – even a staff. They were not even allowed to hold or sharpen a sword. Nor did they ever eat meat or do anything to harm any living creature – even a fly!

SIFU: While you are still sitting, Grasshopper – the Zen monks never imitated any of the animals nor did they have animal sets.

GRASSHOPPER: But where did all the weapons and animal sets come from, Sifu?

SIFU: "They came from the Taoists!"
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 1/08/2004 1:18pm at .

Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Pat for that post on the Tracy site. I just glanced through it, and will study more of it later, as I was getting way involved in the reading and since I am currently at work, that is a bad thing. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Style
    Chinese Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the compliments on our website Pat. A student just pointed it out to me. I've never been to this forum before but it looks very interesting.

As far as I know, the material you complimented me on is not found elsewhere on the Internet. I believe I owe it to Professor Walter Godin to tell some of his story. Many people, including those who studied police transcripts, have said that he stood his ground and did what he could.

I agree that the Mitose claim is not correct. At this time, I still haven't revised that part of history on our webpage. Even though it once appeared to fit so well, I am ready to leave my comfort zone but I am still looking for something to fill the void.

To add to a previous posting, Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell studies Hawaiian Kempo under Professor John Hackleman. Hackleman was promoted to 10th degree by Godin, his longtime mentor and teacher.

Yes, a lot of Kempo students had problems with history. Some people engage in revising it. There's no doubt in my mind that some of the pioneers had brushes with the law. But hey, would you rather learn how to kick butt from someone who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks or a church choir boy? My response was to place a little something with a disclaimer and then shut up and train.

Omega, I am curious as to what specific style of Kempo that did not impress you. I'm not here to criticize, just to learn.

As for the fat guys, you won’t see that in Topeka. Many of our students have gym memberships. Also, I have tough physical requirement for our students and black belts.

Andrew

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by patfromlogan
    Go tell it to Liddell, punk.:p

Okay, I'll see him tomorrow, would you like me to tell Jon to or just Chuck?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, I am curious as to what specific style of Kempo that did not impress you. I'm not here to criticize, just to learn.
    Before I quasi answer let me get someting straight, I actually like Kempo but I find it humerous when they get all snooty about ther history. Pat, you're just perpetuating the attitude I'm referring to. As for the systems I don't like, it's all the instructor not the system.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously Pat, I know Chuck personally, if you would like me to bring up the conversation to prove a point I will. He doesn't really get to passionate about that. As for Jon, he's a fun loving guy who also doesn't really get all upity about these types of discussion. Now, Jon's instructor, that's a different story. My friend actually trains along that system, I could bring him on and you could discuss it further.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last