--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jack Dempsey; Fighting muscles

So I stumbled upon this little gem (and promptly uploaded it to mega upload). 84 years ago this month (1915), this article was published; Jack Dempsey reveals his views on muscles, muscle building exercises, and the virtues of hard work. It's a little hard to follow which paragraph leads to what (or perhaps I'm just retarded), but it's still pretty good. He certainly endorses manual labor, and one pound weights for shadowboxing/grip squeezing amongst other things.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=76Z4RK3J

Also, on Page 84, does the part above "How I got and keep my fighting muscles" seem like it belongs to that article as well? It would make sense as he's doing a wrestler's bridge on the first page, but it's not laid out as one would expect.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy View Post
    Also, on Page 84, does the part above "How I got and keep my fighting muscles" seem like it belongs to that article as well? It would make sense as he's doing a wrestler's bridge on the first page, but it's not laid out as one would expect.
    No, it's from a different article: no quotation marks at the beginning of each paragraph, unlike the Dempsy article (which picks up below the title, 1/3 down the page).

Also, it's hard to imagine JD writing* "Rudolph Valentino, one of the outstanding muscular men of motion pictures . . ."

Further lulz:

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    There probably is some benefit in stalling through a few kindergarten movements, standing on an Oriental rug, while a talking machine grinds out jazz; and walking on the sunny side of the street for a half hour at luncheon time. At least, it won't harm anyone.
    -------------
    *Or (more likely) allowing such a phrase to be attributed to him.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy View Post
    So I stumbled upon this little gem (and promptly uploaded it to mega upload). 84 years ago this month (1915), this article was published; Jack Dempsey reveals his views on muscles, muscle building exercises, and the virtues of hard work. It's a little hard to follow which paragraph leads to what (or perhaps I'm just retarded), but it's still pretty good. He certainly endorses manual labor, and one pound weights for shadowboxing/grip squeezing amongst other things.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=76Z4RK3J

Thanks for posting that! Looking forward to studying it.