232853 Bullies, 3896 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chicks DO Dig Scars

Well, at least I do. Iíve seen lots Ė from minor to major, from feet to scalp. Busted noses, lumpy knuckles, missing fingers, discoloured skin, the track marks where the surgeons did their best to piece a human being back together. Scars from accidents, from surgeries, from fights, from errors in judgment, from pure and simple stupidity. And, except for the one or two truly horrific examples, I have found them interesting. Intriguing. And in many, many cases, downright hot.

I am writing this for a friend; a great guy who damaged his arm something fierce this summer, then started wearing longer sleeves so no one could see his torn bicep. He seemed uncomfortable about his injury, and I couldnít seem to get across to him that I thought his scars improved him, not diminished him in some way.

Scars are a living breathing symbol of risk. If youíve never stepped out of your bubble, never put yourself out there to live life and push the boundaries, you probably donít have any scars.

I work in an engineering office filled with pasty, pale, play-it-safe guys. The ones who probably stayed indoors on beautiful Saturday mornings when they were kids, only going outside when their parents kicked them out the back door, who thought the treehouse was best used for reading a good book. It is a great place to read a book, but unless you also turned it into a pirate ship, swung on a rope over its railing and wound up in your mamaís kitchen with a split lip and an icepack on your head, you never really enjoyed it.

I have some co-workers who donít have any scars and are proud of that fact. One guy jammed his pinky finger playing rec basketball at the YMCA last year, and wound up having physio to correct the minor bend from the last knuckle. It functioned fine, it didnít cause him pain, but he didnít like the idea of living with a bent finger for the rest of his life. My grandma had a word for this kind of guy: milquetoast. A nice enough fella, but nothing exciting.

Now contrast that with, say, my guy. His nose isnít where God originally put it; a legacy of a teenage jiu-jitsu demo done full out to wow the crowd, and a move that went just a little bit wrong (note: he finished the demo anyways). That part in his hair? Itís not a part; itís the place where they sewed his head back together after his brother corkscrewed their car down a dark slick road. The grizzled knuckle tells the story of losing his balance while putting a roof on in the rain. The tiny pockmark in his calf speaks to a vicious poodle attack he didnít actually think broke through his jeans, and only discovered later when he noticed blood on his socks.

Scars come packaged with stories. As you go though life, living full out, you are bound to accumulate some damage. Scars are the souvenirs you carry with you instead of leaving on a shelf. Ask someone about their scars and youíre bound to hear some great stories Ė about that fishing trip with his dad when he was ten, about that surgically corrected heart defect that affects all the women in her family, about how he learned first hand to be careful around pneumatic nail guns. A scar is the beginning of a conversation.

And that conversation might just lead down a dark road. Lots of scars are the result of bad detours. Needle tracks, the long-healed bullet wound on a refugee, the tortured skin where a tattoo once existed. All those are human too, souvenirs of trials survived and overcome. Stories worth hearing.

Ok, so maybe you have a scar, but itís a perfectly boring tale as to how you got it. Embellish! Sure, maybe you dinged yourself falling down the stairs, but the story sounds so much more interesting if you happen to be giving CPR to a baby kitten at the time. And that faint line from routine surgery isnít so Ďroutineí if it happened during the big power blackout of 2006 and the doctor completed the stitches by flashlight.

And as for me Ė weíll sit down over a beer sometime and Iíll tell you about breaking my nose when I was three, and how I drove a piece of bamboo through my foot at summer camp. I might even show the foot I dropped the hay wagon tongue on when I was hitching up the tractor, and, if youíre in the mood for a laugh, Iíll point out my gnarled knuckles and tell you how I busted two fingers on my left hand and had them buddy taped into the nanoo-nanoo position for weeks.

Imperfection is the spice of life. It should be celebrated and shared. Who would you rather sit beside on a long bus ride Ė the milquetoast man or Mr. Torn Bicep? I know which seat Iíd choose.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 10:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put up your pic.......If you look hot, I'm gonna go get me some scars!!!! :icon_pira.

Nice read though... :happy7:

Rgds,
    Neil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 11:09am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting. i've been married for 18 years. so i've only had to worry about making myself attractive to my wife as opposed to women in general.

what i see from the majority of my younger (i'm 41), single friends runs contrary to AeroChica's post.

looks like many guys out there think women are attracted to gangsta's with ripped physiques.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I do appreciate you sharing your opinion and ****, but why the **** you gotta be so judgmental concerning motherfuckers who are "milquetoast" or whatever. Besides, isn't milk toast supposed to be a good thing?

So what if a ************ doesn't want to have his finger fucked up? That is completely fucking understandable. When I got cauliflower air and ****, I made sure I got that ************ drained so people wouldn't look at me and go "whoa motherfucking nelly, dude, why are you walking around with a fucking cabbage attatched to your dome?".

And what does crashing your car say about your willingness to take risks? I'd say it says more about your ability to drive, but that's just me.

Serious incidents can cause people severe, permanent damage that affects the remainder of their lives. I had a professor who had an arm blown off, supposedly from trying to save a graduate student during a reaction gone awry. To say that some **** like that is cool because he can tell cool stories to bitches in bars is fucking stupid.
    Last edited by The Question; 3/02/2009 12:32pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 1:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody here ever read the comic Preacher? With the guy that tried to kill himself and failed? Well...I know that guy. IRL. Put a shotgun in his mouth, pulled the trigger, now has a face like . . . something other than a face. Total spiritual turnaround, he's a happy guy now.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 9:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    why the **** you gotta be so judgmental concerning motherfuckers who are "milquetoast" or whatever.

So what if a ************ doesn't want to have his finger fucked up? That is completely fucking understandable.
    It's a symptom of a problem: the "I am precious and perfect and cannot be damaged" attitude. Most guys don't go for the plastic princess-type girls and let me assure you, it's equally unattractive in men.

I suppose the reference makes more sense if you knew that the guy in question is 30, lives with his parents, irons his sweaters, and his most recent adventure was trying a new vegetable. Not quite the kinda of guy to set a girls heart aflutter and make her wommanbits all tingly, know what I mean?

When I got cauliflower air and ****, I made sure I got that ************ drained so people wouldn't look at me and go "whoa motherfucking nelly, dude, why are you walking around with a fucking cabbage attatched to your dome?". .
    Totally! Good call on the ear - that **** is nasty.

And what does crashing your car say about your willingness to take risks? I'd say it says more about your ability to drive, but that's just me.

Serious incidents can cause people severe, permanent damage that affects the remainder of their lives. I had a professor who had an arm blown off, supposedly from trying to save a graduate student during a reaction gone awry. To say that some **** like that is cool because he can tell cool stories to bitches in bars is fucking stupid.
    I didn't say it was cool. I said it was nothing to be ashamed of. **** happens. You just don't have to let it get you down.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/02/2009 9:36pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol u luv pyrats
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 2:54pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if I like to cut myself?
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an arm covered in cigaratte burns. Does that count?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    3/04/2009 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The backs of my hands are covered in scars, from where my cat has demonstrated how much he loves me...!

Loveable, fluffy, ball of mass-murdering, multiple-rapist that he is...
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast