Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Kakutogi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by markjudo View Post
    I am seeking Legal Advice today on this Subject. This type of thing MUST STOP!
    I agree with you but what can be legally done?
    MA is one of the least regulated industries there is. So if someone creates his own org and gets ranked up by self inflation or mutual masturbation from friends, then what can legally be done?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    JUDO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EMAIL FROM THE USJA IS BELOW:

Mark,

The problem with filing a complaint is this, You have to make a formal complaint, sending it to the Office via Katrina which will then be sent to the Etics to investigate. Have it notarized.

First you will have to have documentation as to the fraud, where and when it was committed and who assisted in it.

Both Toney Raven and Kevin Cullen are Life Members of the USJA, neither of them hold the rank in USJA as 10th Degree or 6th Degree.

Cullen could have been promoted by Raven in his own Ryu, or even through Phil Porters USMA, which the USJA does not recognize. Raven is a 7th Degree Dan from California, he is 78 yrears old and his 7th Degree in the USJA is from 95, So, as you know in martial arts Anyone can start their own Ryu and claim what ever rank they want.

Cullen is a Nidan in USJA and Only in Jujitsu, he is 59 yrs old, and has not been active in the USJA since 95.

Bottom line, you may be upset that they are moving into your area, you may have some issues with rank, but we are not the only organization in town who gives ranking. You have to think about what you want to accomplish when you make that complaint against them and then decide on a course of action, they both have certified rank in the USJA, are life members,Cullen will have sanctions if he seeks rank, as he has not been active since 95, that is 14 years of Back Fees, plus any promotion fees. You will have further issues such as, did the person know the other was a fraud when they were given rank? Did they engage in conduct to circumvent the rank requirements and so on.

You will recall that the USJA faced similar circumstances, where an individual was charged with falisfication of rank, but claimed his was legit in any circumstance and he has plenty of board support.

The decision is yours. Also I have sent out an inquiry to others in the World of Karate to see if they know those individuals and their claims, so I hope to hear back from them, I will advise you of any facts learned.

Style
    JUDO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    E Mail from the USJF

I checked the database and Toney Raven is a secondary member with us. He is registered At Large for the club and his yudanshakai is Nanka. I checked the rank card file and the database for his rank. I cannot find he has any rank through the USJF.

I checked the database for Kevin Cullen and the card rank file. He has no records with the USJF.

Style
    JUDO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a quote from his brochure.

7th & 8th degree Shichidan Hachidan USJA, USJF, USJI, USMA.

Does this constitute misrepresentation?

His link is

http://www.samuraispiritkarate.com/Judo.html

USJF Answer:

Yes, it is misrepresentation as he does not have any USJF rank.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Mark,
    Props on actually trying to do ****.

Here is another thread you might want to read and weigh in on:
    Is Ju-Te Ryu a Legit Judo/Goshinjutsu derivative? - No BS Martial Arts

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark..

Let me know when you want to do this; I will be more than happy to go with you.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh...

No legitimate Judoka in this Country uses "Soke" or "Hanshi".

Yes, for a VERY brief period when I was in Juko-lie I did. Until I learned they were full of crap and I have never done it again.

Notice his "Judo" has another ryu-ha in front of it.

If they are trying to move into Ohio, I think we and the Shingitai people can do a quality control tour....

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Oh...

No legitimate Judoka in this Country uses "Soke" or "Hanshi".

Yes, for a VERY brief period when I was in Juko-lie I did. Until I learned they were full of crap and I have never done it again.

Notice his "Judo" has another ryu-ha in front of it.

If they are trying to move into Ohio, I think we and the Shingitai people can do a quality control tour....
    LOL...planning a little Dojo Yaburi trip? Let me know how that goes...I'm a traditionalist, so I can appreciate some old school mentality.

This guy is originally from the Ohio area, and isn't moving into it as a previous statement claimed. He is from the Findlay area last I heard...not Canton. He has some rank from USJA (I think) back from like the 90's...a group of mid-senior yudansha GoJu practitioners spent a year or two traveling to Toledo, OH and obtained shodan in Judo in a "gentlemen's course." Been training in GoJu for a long while; first under Yamaguchi Sensei's group, then switched to Yamakura Sensei's GKK. Lived in Japan for a short time, for college I think (not sure if he trained while there). Traveled to San Fran to train with Yamaguchi maybe once or twice a year for seminars...same with Yamakura Sensei. I think Rich Stamper out of Toledo, OH was his regional coordinator. Broke away from GKK some time in late 90's/2000. Can't speak for much else...Ateru Ryu is something he made up (hence, Soke). Not sure what his rank was/is in the GKK, maybe 4th or 5th dan. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Style
    Goju
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I am clicking through the arnold martial arts festival seminars page when I stumble upon Soke Kevin Cullen. It says he is a practitioner of full contact karate, so I click thinking I might get to go to a kykoshin (sp?) seminar. [Turns out he is actually claiming a 10th dan in Goju-Ryu.

What he is teaching sounds very fishy:

How Real attack velocity compares with the way you have trained all of your life · How to live and operate within the attack of your opponent
    · How to take your opponent out with ONE technique 99 percent of the time
    · How to turn your “soft” techniques into the MOST POWERFUL ones you own
    · How gravity, inertia, velocity, friction, centrifugal force, and physiologyall work together in a devastating way when you actually let them.

I keep reading and he claims a 6th dan in judo. problem is I can't seem to find him in the USJA or USJF but I may be searching it wrong. He claims his rank is recognized by the Seinshin Ryu Judo Federation http://www.ajjif.org/AJJIFJudo.htm but one of the first people they list as a U.S. rep is phil porter, a notorious rank seller. But they also list Gokor Chivichyan and a former head of the Kodokan institute so I don't know how legit it is.

In conclusion I believe Soke Kevin Cullen may be:
    1. Teaching bullshido (based on the advertisement of his seminar)
    2. Inflating his ranks, especially in judo

thoughts? If I am off base and he is actually all the martial artist he claims to be I will delete this and replace it with a public apology[/QUOTE]

IT's Been years since I read this and honestly, it has taken this long for me to respond to it as I don't usually take the time to do so when someone is so off base in regards to myself, my training or rank , life goals, favorite color pet peeve etc. First let me state that I fully understand the vitriol as I myself get so disgusted when I travel around the country and the world doing seminars only to see so many 400 pound grandmasters with six inch wide belts who are 10th dans or the reverse, a skinny handsome kid in his early 20's who claims to be a hanshi or whatever. Let's address the Judo commentary. I don't have a black belt in Judo from USJA , only a green belt. I do have a 2nd Dan from USJA in Japanese Jujitsu along with rank giving abilities in said art as well. I DID receive a ranking from Tony Raven who is, despite what those who don't know him might say, is probably one of the finer Judoka this country has produced. And for an old timer, he still knows his art and teaches a hell of a seminar. I am sure of one thing, he didn't get his rank advancements by hosting tournaments and the like as so many of our fine instructors do these days.. he just earned it the old fashion way.. REGARDLESS.. the posting for the Arnold Seminar (Which I have been invited to teach year after year for around a decade now) was put together by one of my helpers and they just nipped info off of a page on me somewhere.. I NEVER claim high rank in Judo when I'm out or at my dojo. I have taught Judo to those who could hand long enough to take it and one of my students who received a green belt from me after 6 months of hard training (By the USJA book btw) left Findlay and moved to PA where he found a judo school near Pittsburg I believe and was invited to toss with them there. He threw everyone there including all the black belts except the 5th Dan Chief instructor who asked him why he wasn't wearing a brown or black belt and how long had he been training. Long story short, this guy I spent 6 months with took second in the Philly Judo Championships that year and bronze in the PA Championships as a brown belt (which the instructor slapped on him soon after he joined the club) and the following year he took first in both in the black belt division. His name is Justin Green and I am sure you can check it out if you need to. Let's talk about what I really do, I have been training six days a week in Goju Karate since 1973, receiving my shodan from N. Gosei Yamaguchi in 1983. As training went on I got more of these black belts in Goju with a 5th dan Renshi from the Gkk a Six dan from UMAS and then when I put together my style of Goju, I was jumped to an 8th Dan in Goju by the organization. This is common in Japanese Karate, more now than in the past but as soon as a guy died, or if a high ranking belt left the org. and started his own, his rank would jump quite a bit. I also have trained and tested in Okinawan Kempo and have a 5th dan in that, A third Dan under Hanshi George Alexander in Hakutsuru Kempo, and was a team member of the 1995 NAIA National Championship Roughneck Wrestling Team at age 40. Look, I have had "clearing " conversations on this topic years ago with the local Judo guy Mark Hunter - who btw no longer teaches a program in Findlay but is a real good man whom I've known for 25 years at least so there's no hard feelings on our end. Bottom line is, I never claimed to be teaching a judo seminar, but instead my 5 hands system which has been good enough to teach to LA Rampart, a couple of S.E.A.L. team members, some Rangers, and Federal Agents along the line. I am perceived in the martial arts community as a legit traditionalist and have in fact lived in two separate dojos of mine while teaching in the front and living in the back. We are old school and I see you are in cinci and therefore invite you up next time we have a winter camp or grappling seminar ( I bring in some pretty cool people to teach) so you can actually SEE and TALK to the person you were so very willing to destroy sight unseen via character assassination. I hold no malice towards you or anyone on this list because as I said, I have seen rank inflation and paper champions over the last 43 years and it sickens my stomach as well. OH and one final bit of info.. I have had a hand in the grappling training of 4 guys who have fought in the UFC , the first being Jack McGlaughlin (UFC6), The Gassaway Brothers [ all three were students of Sensei Chris Benavides who is a pioneer in cage fighter/mma training in Ohio - Chris is one of my Goju students and I invite you to inquire as to the legitimacy of myself as a Goju Player if you still need convincing) and Brutal Johnny Bedford (TUF and UFC) who spent his first year in mma training at my dojo on bright road in Findlay ohio while he was a student at the university of Findlay along with Tyler Beckly and Sick Rick Sorg.. I guess the thing I just don't understand is why you, or mark hunter or virgil (OSU Judo Coach) didn't just pick up a phone to call me or send me an email and ask me.. It just boggles my mind. Well, I hope this clears things up for you and the rest on this ancient thread, Time for this 60 yr old lifetime martial artist to go to bed with his 36 yr old wife of 16 years. We have to play in a 28 piece orchestra for a Christmas Contada (musical) at a local church.. You see a REAL SAMURAI is adept at many arts, not just bullshido. God bless and hope to hear from you sometime.. PAX

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this one of your "systems"?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last