222118 Bullies, 3957 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 38
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Beorn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy, Ohio
    Posts
    938

    Posted On:
    2/17/2009 6:44pm


     Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Soke Kevin Cullen? (also how do find judo dan ranks?)

    So I am clicking through the arnold martial arts festival seminars page when I stumble upon Soke Kevin Cullen. It says he is a practitioner of full contact karate, so I click thinking I might get to go to a kykoshin (sp?) seminar. http://www.arnoldmartialarts.com/wor...-kevin-cullen/ Turns out he is actually claiming a 10th dan in Goju-Ryu.

    What he is teaching sounds very fishy:

    How Real attack velocity compares with the way you have trained all of your life · How to live and operate within the attack of your opponent
    · How to take your opponent out with ONE technique 99 percent of the time
    · How to turn your “soft” techniques into the MOST POWERFUL ones you own
    · How gravity, inertia, velocity, friction, centrifugal force, and physiologyall work together in a devastating way when you actually let them.


    I keep reading and he claims a 6th dan in judo. problem is I can't seem to find him in the USJA or USJF but I may be searching it wrong. He claims his rank is recognized by the Seinshin Ryu Judo Federation http://www.ajjif.org/AJJIFJudo.htm but one of the first people they list as a U.S. rep is phil porter, a notorious rank seller. But they also list Gokor Chivichyan and a former head of the Kodokan institute so I don't know how legit it is.

    His home page http://www.martialartsstudies.com/instructors.html and this other page that list his "accomplishments" http://www.ateruworldwideassociation.com/huunjin.html scream bullshido with their hall of fames and sokeship councils but also says he has coached state champion wrestlers.

    In conclusion I believe Soke Kevin Cullen may be:
    1. Teaching bullshido (based on the advertisement of his seminar)
    2. Inflating his ranks, especially in judo

    thoughts? If I am off base and he is actually all the martial artist he claims to be I will delete this and replace it with a public apology
  2. datdamnmachine is offline
    datdamnmachine's Avatar

    Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,721

    Posted On:
    2/17/2009 11:54pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    So I am clicking through the arnold martial arts festival seminars page when I stumble upon Soke Kevin Cullen. It says he is a practitioner of full contact karate, so I click thinking I might get to go to a kykoshin (sp?) seminar. http://www.arnoldmartialarts.com/wor...-kevin-cullen/ Turns out he is actually claiming a 10th dan in Goju-Ryu.

    What he is teaching sounds very fishy:

    How Real attack velocity compares with the way you have trained all of your life · How to live and operate within the attack of your opponent
    · How to take your opponent out with ONE technique 99 percent of the time
    · How to turn your “soft” techniques into the MOST POWERFUL ones you own
    · How gravity, inertia, velocity, friction, centrifugal force, and physiologyall work together in a devastating way when you actually let them.


    I keep reading and he claims a 6th dan in judo. problem is I can't seem to find him in the USJA or USJF but I may be searching it wrong. He claims his rank is recognized by the Seinshin Ryu Judo Federation http://www.ajjif.org/AJJIFJudo.htm but one of the first people they list as a U.S. rep is phil porter, a notorious rank seller. But they also list Gokor Chivichyan and a former head of the Kodokan institute so I don't know how legit it is.

    His home page http://www.martialartsstudies.com/instructors.html and this other page that list his "accomplishments" http://www.ateruworldwideassociation.com/huunjin.html scream bullshido with their hall of fames and sokeship councils but also says he has coached state champion wrestlers.

    In conclusion I believe Soke Kevin Cullen may be:
    1. Teaching bullshido (based on the advertisement of his seminar)
    2. Inflating his ranks, especially in judo

    thoughts? If I am off base and he is actually all the martial artist he claims to be I will delete this and replace it with a public apology
    The fact that legitimate, as well as, suspect people are shown on the Seinshin Ryu Judo Federation is actually a bit of a flag. Many of the shady organizations will have legit members as a means of validating the ones who are not. Think of the hall of fame types. Yes, there are bad as martial artists on there, and there are also frauds. Usually, the known bad asses are honorary members who didn't have to pay; the frauds, they paid.

    Actually, that may be a good litmus test, who paid to be a part of the organization as opposed to who didn't. However, this could be tricky for organizations where all members, regardless, either pay or don't pay...
  3. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 8:22am

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has a student listed as having Menkyo Kudan. :qleapfrog

    The guy is selling his services. I think he is hyberbolizing in a way that many people do on resumes and such.... But out and out fraud or actually misleading students.... I think not.

    If his ranks are not legitimate than you have a case, it they are sacntioned then the guy is a salesman... you may notice his degree is in that area BTW.
  4. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 9:30am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When they call themselves a "soke," it means they are a jo-kay....
  5. Ronin.74 is offline

    霍氏八极拳徒弟

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,468

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 11:27am


     Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    When they call themselves a "soke," it means they are a jo-kay....
    Ok that made me LOL.

    If you want to check his Judo rank you're going to have to find out who it was granted by. Even then it may be difficult to track down. I'm ranked by the KJA but for the life of me I wouldn't know where to begin looking for that online.
    安氏八极拳学生
  6. danniboi07 is offline
    danniboi07's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    626, California
    Posts
    1,250

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 12:06pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st thought, why the hell should a jiujitsu organization be upholding Judo ranks?

    After looking at the AJJF website, they seem to treat themselves similarly to the IJF as an international jiujitsu governing body. This is fine by itself, but it doesn't lend credibility to someone claiming Judo rank.

    If he got his rank in the USA then it should be backed up from either the USJA or the USJF. He should not be using some other organization to back him up while teaching in the US.
  7. Beorn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy, Ohio
    Posts
    938

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 8:39pm


     Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    1st thought, why the hell should a jiujitsu organization be upholding Judo ranks?

    After looking at the AJJF website, they seem to treat themselves similarly to the IJF as an international jiujitsu governing body. This is fine by itself, but it doesn't lend credibility to someone claiming Judo rank.

    If he got his rank in the USA then it should be backed up from either the USJA or the USJF. He should not be using some other organization to back him up while teaching in the US.
    I typed in his name in google with USJA and USJF separately and got nothing. Is there a list somewhere in those two organizations websites of recognized dan rankings?

    also
    If you want to check his Judo rank you're going to have to find out who it was granted by.
    JUDO- Via Hanshi Toney Raven winter 2008 , 6th Dan

    quick google fu shows this thread
    http://judoforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t29075.html at the judo forums. Basically says he is a legit 7th dan with real skills, but fell in with the wrong crowd (phil porter) and may be pulling the same ****, i.e. promoted himself to 10th dan and started handing out rank, so it doesn't really get me anywhere
  8. danniboi07 is offline
    danniboi07's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    626, California
    Posts
    1,250

    Posted On:
    2/18/2009 9:39pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you wouldn't be able to find a full list provided by the USJA or the USJF on any website. One would have to either ask the man for a credential from either organization (e.g. I have a USJF Card recognizing my yonkyu, but that needs to be updated) or contact the organizations and ask for verification.
  9. NewEnglandBudo is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Posted On:
    2/20/2009 12:00am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Soke Cullen is a wanna be

    Hello all,

    My first post in this forum. I have had a series of discussions with Mr. Cullen after he posted the advertisement for the Arnold seminar. BTW, did anyone pick up on the fact that the seminar was only one hour long for $60.00. A bit much even for a charity event.

    Anyway, I challenged him on the following items on his website:

    "


    Further in my reply of your post about your seminar I pointed out 2 errors concerning the interaction between Chojun Miyagi Sensei and Funakoshi Sensei:

    Let me first point out a HUGE blunder on your part from your own web page:

    "Miyagi and Funakoshi both trained under the same mentor, one Kanryo
    Higaonna (No relation to Morio) in Okinawa. Funakoshi's focus was on
    the hard/linear aspects of what he studied and Miyagi went the other
    way, that of the angular-internal or chinese aspects of the TE they
    were both studying and opened many schools in Okinawa that were
    Naha-Te schools."

    Then further on in the same paragraph:

    "Miyagi's use abd[sic] description of the Ju character means to "block like
    the wind, bend like the willow". In an effort to master the soft
    techniques of his new style he moved to China. Now during the time (13
    tears) that Miyagi traveled to the motherland of martial arts (China)
    to master Shaolin Chuan Fa and Ba Qua Chang, Mr. Funakoshi took
    advantage and gained control over all of Mr. Miyagi's schools in his
    abscence. "(qoute. Yamakura 1997) Upon Miyagi's return, Mr. Funakoshi
    was off to Japan to proliferate his Shuri-te (Shotokan) and although
    Miyagi returned with a vast knowledge of the soft arts and circular
    motion, his return held some surprises."

    Besides the abundance of mis-statements in the above, Miyagi Sensei
    never spent 13 years in China, nor did Funakoshi and Miyagi have the
    same teacher. This is where a true "Soke" would not err."


    After considerable debate he recently changed his web page. We are now debating his assertion that he was once chosen by a famous Japanese karate sensei from the West Coast to be his "uchi deshi" (live in student).

    The sensei replied to him that he did not recall the man even after seeing a photo. Cullen insists that he was invited, even tough this popular teacher does not invite "uchi deshi" at all.

    He is at best a mediocre practitioner that has developed a niche that he can b.s. folks about. A true "Soke" he is not.:bsflag:
  10. Beorn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy, Ohio
    Posts
    938

    Posted On:
    2/20/2009 12:11am


     Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandBudo View Post
    Hello all,

    My first post in this forum. I have had a series of discussions with Mr. Cullen after he posted the advertisement for the Arnold seminar. BTW, did anyone pick up on the fact that the seminar was only one hour long for $60.00. A bit much even for a charity event.

    Anyway, I challenged him on the following items on his website:

    "


    Further in my reply of your post about your seminar I pointed out 2 errors concerning the interaction between Chojun Miyagi Sensei and Funakoshi Sensei:

    Let me first point out a HUGE blunder on your part from your own web page:

    "Miyagi and Funakoshi both trained under the same mentor, one Kanryo
    Higaonna (No relation to Morio) in Okinawa. Funakoshi's focus was on
    the hard/linear aspects of what he studied and Miyagi went the other
    way, that of the angular-internal or chinese aspects of the TE they
    were both studying and opened many schools in Okinawa that were
    Naha-Te schools."

    Then further on in the same paragraph:

    "Miyagi's use abd[sic] description of the Ju character means to "block like
    the wind, bend like the willow". In an effort to master the soft
    techniques of his new style he moved to China. Now during the time (13
    tears) that Miyagi traveled to the motherland of martial arts (China)
    to master Shaolin Chuan Fa and Ba Qua Chang, Mr. Funakoshi took
    advantage and gained control over all of Mr. Miyagi's schools in his
    abscence. "(qoute. Yamakura 1997) Upon Miyagi's return, Mr. Funakoshi
    was off to Japan to proliferate his Shuri-te (Shotokan) and although
    Miyagi returned with a vast knowledge of the soft arts and circular
    motion, his return held some surprises."

    Besides the abundance of mis-statements in the above, Miyagi Sensei
    never spent 13 years in China, nor did Funakoshi and Miyagi have the
    same teacher. This is where a true "Soke" would not err."


    After considerable debate he recently changed his web page. We are now debating his assertion that he was once chosen by a famous Japanese karate sensei from the West Coast to be his "uchi deshi" (live in student).

    The sensei replied to him that he did not recall the man even after seeing a photo. Cullen insists that he was invited, even tough this popular teacher does not invite "uchi deshi" at all.

    He is at best a mediocre practitioner that has developed a niche that he can b.s. folks about. A true "Soke" he is not.:bsflag:

    So to be clear, you have never actually trained with Cullen? Historical inaccuracies on his website do not necessarily mean bullshido.


    Also, can you provide proof that this Sensei from the west coast did not recognize Cullen? This would be a lie on his part, and thus bullshido.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.