Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 3:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Left-handed throws with a right-handed grip?

I'm left-handed, but play Judo in a right-handed stance because after right-foot forward = lefty is really ingrained into me from Karate. The last couple of weeks all the skin on my right/power/driving hand over my knuckles was worn away and nasty, so in an attempt to stop reopening it and let it heal, I made up my mind to play Judo left-handed for a week.

So, we're doing fit-ins + throw every 5th and I'm drilling uchi-mata as usual, but without thinking/out of habit, I still grip with a right-sided grip (lapel on right, sleeve under the elbow on the left) even though I throw left side. I do my throw and I didn't even realize I gripped backwards until the brown belt I was paired with was like "whoa that was confusing, I thought you were going to throw righty with that grip" and calls our coach over to look at this. He calls the other coach, and after scrutinizing me they decide to make me drill this the rest of the night.

I'm still not the best at it, but I've been practicing that throw every chance I get to drill in class for about 7+ months righty and my footwork felt a whole lot smoother/more natural coming in like a lefty (which I am).

So, this got me thinking. a) Have I been gimping myself for the last year trying to throw righty? b) Are there other throws that work well left side with a right hand grip (if so, how are you gripping and how are you jacking them up for kazushi)? Of course, my only other halfway decent throw atm is osoto, but w/e, it can be the next thing I start working on.
    Last edited by maofas; 2/15/2009 5:26am at .

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 7:35am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happens to your left hand on their sleeve? where does it go? I'm finding this hard to visualise.

This isn't what you're looking for, but this is a nice basic way to set up for Ouchi and morote gari. I'll pass it on here because you're a lefty like me and will probably spend a long time in kenka yotsu
    YouTube - Morote Gari Set

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 7:38am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Judo coachs tell me that almost all throws work well in either direction. I have found that harai and O goshi and also te guruma and ura nage work well for me and alot of other people at my club will use seoi nage and its variations as well various foot sweeps to great effect left and right keeping the same grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 12:16pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been drilling from the double lapel grip recently -- you can throw right _or_ left. Theoretically, anyway, my left harai sucks.

You can throw seionage on either arm left handed using the right hand. I think Steven Bell's judo video (extreme judo or something like that) shows one which is pretty neat. It's hard to describe in words and I'm actually supposed to leave for Judo right now, but if you find a copy of the DVD ...

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw left handed drop seoi nage from a right handed grip (from off of their lapel), it catches everybody out.

I've also just realised I'm giving away mah judo sekrits...

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 12:56pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    I throw left handed drop seoi nage from a right handed grip (from off of their lapel), it catches everybody out.

I've also just realised I'm giving away mah judo sekrits...
    I do this too. From standard right handed lapel and sleeve grip you can go for Eri Seoi Nage, left side, easily - it combos well with left sided kouchi gari as well. It helps that my left kouchi is better than my right.

for reference, youtube Koga + seoi nage

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do ippon seoi, not eri. My right hand stays on their left lapel, my left arm goes under their armpit.

It's pretty much a standard ippon seoi nage, but instead of pulling on their arm, you use the lapel instead (i.e. it's a lefty throw executed from a standard right handed grip).
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 2/15/2009 1:17pm at . Reason: Clarify.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sode tsuri komi goshi was the first throw I started from standing right then going left. I then graduated to throwing seois left handed.

One thing you have to pay attention to is resetting you feet to throw. Start right handed then switch to left during grip fighting.

After that I started playing left handed full time then started using ashiwaza to both sides.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:27pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been told that ippon motion with the lapel grip is eri seoi. That's what I was referring to.

I also like using a left handed grip (left hand on lapel) to do a right side seoi using the lapel.

Basically you can do seoi of some sort off of about any grip, IME - i wuvs it so much.

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AFAIK eri-seoi is like morote-seoi, but using same side lapel as the arm.

Drifting off topic here though, I think this kind of thing is easier to show than explain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast