Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 9:45pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your back kick is "spinning", it's a shitty kick and you're doing it horribly wrong.
    Last edited by kwoww; 3/19/2009 9:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2009 11:00am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post

This has probably already been brought up....so, I feel like a tard asking this, but does anyone else think that GSP is not really kicking into his target? I notice a lot of people at the TKD school I frequent leaning forward on their planted foot (especially on spinning kicks), and therefore away from their intended target. GSP appears to have a more forward lean and less of a commitment to the target and so he has to extend his leg to seek out contact before he reaches full rotation. In the first gif, the guy is more erect and his motion appears to be more forward and into his opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 7:15am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Oh, and just a side note: I know I've mentioned this before, but I really hate the combination of "spinning" and "back kick" when describing the technique. To me, based on the terminology that I've been brought up with, spinning techniques are circular techniques (e.g. spinning backfist, spinning heel kick) and the back kick is a linear technique.
    While I know exactly where you're coming from, I do also remember being taught the back kick off the lead leg, both off the spot and with a step. I wonder if maybe the term 'spin' was added to the rear leg kick to help distinguish between the two, or that it's just got muddled up with the spin side kick over the years in translation?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

poser

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 5:49pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai View Post
    This has probably already been brought up....so, I feel like a tard asking this, but does anyone else think that GSP is not really kicking into his target? I notice a lot of people at the TKD school I frequent leaning forward on their planted foot (especially on spinning kicks), and therefore away from their intended target. GSP appears to have a more forward lean and less of a commitment to the target and so he has to extend his leg to seek out contact before he reaches full rotation. In the first gif, the guy is more erect and his motion appears to be more forward and into his opponent.
    I think it just looks that way. It's also hard to set up and execute a true straight-back back kick, so he might actually be doing a half-assed back-spinning-hook hybrid sort of thing for the sake of speed over full power.

The other possibility is that he's not giving full commitment because, if he misses, he doesn't want the other guy to have him all splayed out in front of him like a wet noodle.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other guy there is Matt Hughes.

Generally a bad idea to be splayed like a noodle in front of him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 12:31am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai View Post
    GSP is reaching, that all. Its a bad habit point sparrers get into because it doesn't matter if the kick hurts. Its comparable to a newb boxer bending at his waist to get extra reach and not bringing his hips with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Cullen
    I do also remember being taught the back kick off the lead leg, both off the spot and with a step.
    How do back kick off front leg?

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 12:38am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WITH YOUR {PENIS

Im so drunk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:12am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    How do back kick off front leg?
    In a similar fashion to a lead leg side kick. You need to make sure you're rotating the back leg a full 180 from the target though to allow you rotate the hips correctly and not damage the knee. The 'chamber' of the kick will look close to you doing a front kick in the opposite direction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:26am

Style: San Shou, MT, & No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast