Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2009 11:28am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSON View Post
    Why does Donnie B. dress like a tennis instructor instead of a Muay Thai coach?
    LOL.....

I shouldn't laugh b/c I don't often dress like one either. I'm usually just wearing the same baggy sweats to coach that I wear around the house

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2009 12:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suck at muay thai, but had a coach that taught mostly the style seen in the vids. My other instructor teaches the "ring style" kicks for the most part.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay boran is ( translation ) Ancient boxing, say it to a thai, they will think its muay boran. it has different reginal styles which some are extinct but there might be a chance of a master hidden somewhere, the only muay boran style that is still alive and there are no more than 100 forieners who knows the style, so i don't think what ur learning is a real muay boran.
    http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/styles/muay_thai.htm
    YouTube - Antonio Graceffo Featured on The Art of Fighting: Muay Thai Chaiya Fundamentals
    Last edited by sapherosth; 10/13/2009 2:38pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 10:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapherosth View Post
    Muay boran is ( translation ) Ancient boxing, say it to a thai, they will think its muay boran. it has different reginal styles which some are extinct but there might be a chance of a master hidden somewhere, the only muay boran style that is still alive and there are no more than 100 forieners who knows the style, so i don't think what ur learning is a real muay boran.
    http://www.ancientmuaythai.com/styles/muay_thai.htm
    YouTube - Antonio Graceffo Featured on The Art of Fighting: Muay Thai Chaiya Fundamentals
    Well since Pedro Villalobos (the owner of the site you linked) was my Muay Thai instructor I think I have a pretty good feel for it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Well since Pedro Villalobos (the owner of the site you linked) was my Muay Thai instructor I think I have a pretty good feel for it.

Whats the difference between them? did he actually teach u muay chaiya? or did he teach alot of different stuff mixed together. or he teaches normal muay thai to u:wabdulla

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 3:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He taught Muay Thai to me but also teaches Thai Weapons (Krabi-Krabong) and Muay Thai Sangha. His wide variety of Thai training gave us a weird style. He definitely believed that finding your own way was important and to that end taught us a lot of odd kicks and tricks fromt he non-ring styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 2:54pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my old Ashihara dojo, I was taught the vid's "ring style" as the snapping kicks,
    and the vid's "old style" and slamming kicks.

And I've received my fair share of slamming low kicks...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 6:46pm

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To WS's "targeting" post:

We try to use the shin into the side of the thigh most of the time. About the only time we intentionally target the front of the thigh is following an inside leg kick. Kind of knock the opponents knee to the outside, which almost always bends it, and then drop the driving shin kick down and on top of the front of the same thigh. I have seen a few ippons and several waza-ari (sp?) from that combo. But also like KidS pointed out, there is a lot of setup in it.

I am more often on the receiving end than the giving end and it really makes the leg weak.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 3:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i learned this style of kicking from my muay thai experience too, as well as other types of kicking. IMO, each kick including this one has their own proper and most effective time of use. You're asking if this kick would be effective in a ring fight? I think so. But definately not all the time, it would depend on the situation that arose during the fight. Plus, you wouldn't want to be throwing the exact same kick everytime.. you would want to mix it up right? hope this helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 11:29am

Style: muay thai, muayboran, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem is that donnie b doesnt really know any old style and his vids dont represent anything at all that is being taught in thailand or by the thai teachers. The old style kicks just us a bit more variations but its still the shin kick, they have a shorter one and some snap kicks also. More of a martial arts variety.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast