Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:08am

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I was doing some late night grocery shopping, and at the check out, I looked around and realised the guy in front of me was buying chef boyardee and ice cream, the kid behind me had 12 pop and the woman behind him had a cart full of potato chips and pastries.
    yeah? well i went to walmart one time and the lady behind me had 4 giant boxes of douches, 5 little boxes of tampons, and a gallon of milk. hows that for being healthy?
    :owneddanc

yeah, idk about the health thing. i think eating non-greasy, healthy food is the way to go, but it comes to a point.
    my cousins buy everything 'organic.' like... besides the markup, whats the different between this apple from safeway vs that 'organic' apple from trader joe's? to me theyre just apples.
    Last edited by DarkAardvark; 2/15/2009 1:13am at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes people look at me funny when they find out I do roids or when I bring protein powder and bananas instead of beer and chips over to my friend's houses. I don't care, but I remember being a naysayer. I chalk it up to immaturity, but some people never mature.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDCunt
    I was buying organic veggies and some other items I'd forgotten for my wild rice and mixed seafood "fried" rice I was making.
    How you can eat that healthy and stay that ugly will be a medical mystery for the ages...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 2:04am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to work on the peripheries of the health and fitness industry, so everyone in my work place ate healthily and it was the people that didn't that were considered freaks (there was one quite obese guy whose diet was admittedly shocking, but it must have been a million times harder for him being around all thin, muscular, healthy people who lived off tuna and protein shakes).

Now I'm in a more normal workplace, my current coworkers are generally bemused by a) that I bring all my meals from home, every day; b) that there's so much of it (i eat about four times during my work day) for a 120lbs girl; and c) how healthy it is. I usually just say it's because I can't afford to buy lunch all the time and because I'm a vegetarian (the latter is actually technically accurate -- there's plenty of vego food around, and I can afford it, but I can't get enough protein from store-bought food). If you start talking about diet and health and whatever, people often take it as an attack on their shitty eating habits, even though I don't really give a rat's what they eat. OR you have to do the tiresome "Yeah, I should eat more healthily but it's just so hard and I don't ACTUALLY want to give up junk food blah blah now I'll ask for your advice but not take any of it on board and be whinging about the same things again in a few week's time" conversation.

But I'm all for the 90% rule of good eating, and I like to share the 10% (heh, sometimes 15% or more) of meals that aren't so good for me with friends. So with the exception of the period leading up to a fight, sure I'll go to the pub with them and have a counter meal. Sure I'll have birthday cake. Sure I'll go out to dinner. Sure I'll have beer.

I do see the flip-side of it, though. In my old super-healthy workplace, there were people who wouldn't even eat a slice of the cake we'd buy for them on their own birthday (likewise, one guy refused to participate in a friendly pick-up game of basketball because it would "mess with his training plan"). Unless you have an upcoming competition of some kind, it's also OK to relax a little. Some people do get a little too uptight about their diet and training and I get why that would annoy others. Eating is a social activity and it's ok to eat a bit of crap sometimes, too, especially if you already live a really healthy life otherwise.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 5:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As to the original post, hell yeah. I was told just told a few hours ago that I would look *repulsive, with all those muscles*. ...And well, I am not especially muscular, just not (very) fat.

Some people apparently just get insecure when they learn one does some kind of sport.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really, I think anyone that isn't a professional that tries to train like one while holding down a regular job is taking a hobby too seriously. That being said, if you're training in a combat sport while actively performing very heavy weight training, I think you owe it to yourself to be eating carbohydrates after lunch.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat carbs at every meal. Even before bed. I still wake up starving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 3:28pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas - Yeah I probably am taking it too seriously. I'd like to do some amateur bouts when I'm ready, but really alot of this is simply for aesthetics. The only reason my eating is restricted in terms of carbs and time of day is I'm trying to gain some weight while gaining as little fat as possible.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand the methodolgy, my point is that if you're training that heavily, you're going to want an energy source. That method of weight gain is typically advised for people who are solely training for weights for the purposes of aestetics, not for athletes.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/16/2009 2:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't care less about aesthetics, I've decided I will be Fedor.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2009 2:51am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
    yeah, idk about the health thing. i think eating non-greasy, healthy food is the way to go, but it comes to a point.
    my cousins buy everything 'organic.' like... besides the markup, whats the different between this apple from safeway vs that 'organic' apple from trader joe's? to me theyre just apples.
    Oh, the whole "organic" thing is marketing crap.

I buy free range chickens and eggs and humanely raised meat cause it tastes better than the factory stuff, but the organic thing is just stupid.

If I had the money though, I'd buy nothing but artisan raised and picked veggies and fruits. Again, for taste.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast