--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 10:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's my osmosis-based understanding that the SAMBO spawning also involved some DNA from Mongolian wrestling. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I found some on Tim Cartmell's discussion board (find it at Tim's Discussion Board: Jiu Jitsu/Grappling/Ground Fighting : Shuai jiao )

YouTube- Mongolian / Tuvinian wrestling

It looks pretty damn refined--some very nice pickups, and a smoooooth wrestler's shoulder throw. I noticed that they were very careful not to touch their knees during these techniques, which created some interesting gymnastic positions as they got underneath their opponent/partner.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 10:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands may touch the ground. Aaron Fields trained with the Mongolian National Sambo team while he was studying Mongolian wrestling there.

Not exactly WMA, but there is so much crossover in wrestling since it is such an old artform and also the Monglos headed out West to kick some ass and their influence reverberated on after that...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by egg-nog puke View Post
    Not exactly WMA, but there is so much crossover in wrestling since it is such an old artform and also the Monglos headed out West to kick some ass and their influence reverberated on after that...
    Russian MA are always going to be a bit of a gray, "yes and no" area re. WMA. Some of the Russian self defense manuals from around the turn of the 20th century through to the end of WW1 are very interesting from the WMA perspective, though; bits of savate, boxing, Greco-Roman wreslting etc.

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 12:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, scratch a tartar and you'll find a Hun, or something like that...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12