Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saber grip, blade forward. Otherwise, I've just been wasting all my time in eskrima.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 2:04am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read that the forward grip with the edge in was preferred because you could rush in and attack with a rising stab followed by an upward ripping attack. Seems like a way to wreck someone pretty quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 8:06am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    When folded, the blade extends past the handle and the whole thing fits in a sheath. It makes it like 7 inches shorter. It has a locking/opening mechanism with a brass latch on a hinge like an old switchblade. They also have a guard that automatically folds. Here's a nice one:
    http://www.worldknives.com/products/...18219-890.html
    Lightsaber bowie! Weeee!

I need to get one of these.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have all the Bowie's cold steel makes, and the largest of their folding Vacaro. That folder will end your evening very quickly.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 8:39am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally i would grab him by the leatard...

Sorry had to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 3:13pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two bowies, my nice traditional-looking one, and my more modern working bowie. I prefer the saber grip with the edge out as well. It allows me to use the weight of the blade to snap a shot with the tip. However, in both cases, the top edge is false, and the blade seems to me to be too thick to work that into a sharp functional edge. Both, however, go into a nice upward-lifted point that allows a reverse stab (punta reversa?) to remain effective.

I also don't favor the icepick grip with anything other than a purely stabbing dagger (like a rondel), or a very short-bladed knife that relies solely on cutting, and not on its mass.

Pics of the two knives. Enjoy.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    I have all the Bowie's cold steel makes, and the largest of their folding Vacaro. That folder will end your evening very quickly.
    Which bowie do you prefer? The Natchez one is very nice looking. A few weeks ago Chickenbeakfist bought a Laredo bowie and brought it to training. Awesome knife.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Natchez all the way. But my trail master has seen the most use.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 11:28pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point forward, in either a saber grip or a "universal" grip.

I don't worry too much about not all back-edges being sharpened. It's nice, but if the clip is nice and pointy it'll rip the fool out of the target without needing to be terrible sharp anyhow.

There are some Civil War era D-Guard bowies that have the edge and belling reversed so that it would be on "top" instead of bottom. supposedly to facilitate ripping up-cuts after a thrust.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 11:46pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Which bowie do you prefer? The Natchez one is very nice looking. A few weeks ago Chickenbeakfist bought a Laredo bowie and brought it to training. Awesome knife.
    The Laredo is nice enough and cuts OK but I like a bit more guard on my fighting bowies.

I classify bowies in two categorize (well more, really but you can break 'em down this way too).
    1. Fighting Bowie
    2. Dress Bowie

A lot about how I put a bowie in one category or another has to do with its guard.

If it doesn't have a protective guard, it's not a Fighting Bowie. The Bagwell Belle/Fortress is about the smallest I'd go on a guard and still feel like it's a functional fighting guard.

To be honest, the old "Dueling Bowie" by Windlass was, in my estimation, a far better Fighting Bowie, despite the fact that it didn't have near the mass. It balanced well, was very quick in the hand, and had a quite effective cross-guard. Heck even the much derided Deepeeka "Drop Bowie" (derided because it's Deepeeka) is better. The steel is good and more or less properly heat treated and the guard is quite functional. Yes, the handle is ugly but it works and it works well and, I think, is more representative of what a lot of historic bowies would have been like. Work knives. Half hatchet, half fighting knife, all made for abuse. Today's bowie market is all about form over function and is loaded with high end collectibles by talented artist-smiths and low end knives that would like to be high end collectibles. And that's not a true history of the knife. Yeah, there were a BUNCH of really nice Dress Bowies made historically. But there were at least as many work knives too. But they're not pretty so no one wants to write books about them or make reproductions.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12