solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    What sort of problems come up from this asymmetry? I've wondered about this because I fence and skateboard (both pretty asymmetrical activities). Since I fence purely recreationally (not with a club or anything, I just have some masks and swords and fence with friends for fun) I switch my lead regularly to avoid too much asymmetry and to encourage athleticism.
    it depends on which foot you push with when skateboarding. see, i'm a righty (right hand forward fencer) and although i skate regular (not goofy foot) i actually push with my front foot (yeah i'm weird.)

skateboarding also produces one big calf and one big thigh. if i had pushed with my rear foot, it would have evened out nicely, unfortunately i ended up with double the asymmetry instead.

as far as the health issues, i suspect that a good deal of my knee pain comes from the overdeveloped quad on one leg and the overdeveloped calf on the other. i also seem to have overdeveloped one side of my back, leading to a lot of back pain. i suspect fencing in this case too but have less evidence.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did foil for about a year, and on my first day the teacher tried to explain this craziness called "Right of way".

"Right of way is to protect your life. If two swordsmen are dueling, and they both die, who wins? No one! The point of right of way is for only one of you to die, hopefully the other guy."

The argument being that a knowledge of Right of Way would allow one to fence in such a mindset that it could go back and forth...or something. I noticed it never actually turned out this way, and the REAL application of Right of way was ripping off your helmet and screaming at the judges after a simultaneous touch, arguing who beat the blade first.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    the REAL application of Right of way was ripping off your helmet and screaming at the judges after a simultaneous touch, arguing who beat the blade first.
    you forgot about throwing the mask to the ground, grabbing a blade you had broken earlier that day and then threatening the judge with the broken blade before being restrained by your teammates and hauled off the piste forcibly.

(not my finest moment, in retrospect, but in my defense, it was a bad call, i missed going to the junior olympics for the last time by ONE point, and the judge was geriatric and as far as i could tell by the thickness of his glasses, legally blind.)

it was also not the only time i was thrown out of an event, but that, my friends, is another story.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 10:01am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fundamentally, the problem is that sport fencing is not really ABOUT USING A BLADE. The right of way, the striking mechanics, the strip, the lack of power generation etc.

If you compare to a decent FMA, or ARMA, the difference is immediately apparent. You are aware in these cases that you are actually using a sword.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 11:30am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Fundamentally, the problem is that sport fencing is not really ABOUT USING A BLADE. The right of way, the striking mechanics, the strip, the lack of power generation etc.

If you compare to a decent FMA, or ARMA, the difference is immediately apparent. You are aware in these cases that you are actually using a sword.
    Like when the other's blade crashes on your fingers.

Sorry, free play today, have to get in the mindset!

Seriously, though, the problem starts with the simplest and most obvious of things: the weapons themselves. When you're wielding a "sword" with a pistol-like grip (what are we doing here, gunblade stuff?), an antenna for a blade, and a total weight of a few hundred grams... you might do better with an actual car antenna, they're LESS flexible.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fence under very loose rules- no right of way, no fencing strip back and forth motion only, no restrictions on targets etc. I'm sure if I tried to compete in fencing now I'd get destroyed since I have all kinds of horribly odd habits. Here's a goofy video of Chickenbeakfist and I screwing around with fencing gear:
    fencing Video by Ross - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=46101191@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@mys pace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@46101191
    I'm sure you legitemate fencers will note all kinds of goofy stuff.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 6:16pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you have a lot of un-needed movement, especially in your shoulder.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 6:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I fence under very loose rules- no right of way, no fencing strip back and forth motion only, no restrictions on targets etc. I'm sure if I tried to compete in fencing now I'd get destroyed since I have all kinds of horribly odd habits. Here's a goofy video of Chickenbeakfist and I screwing around with fencing gear:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=46101191
    I'm sure you legitemate fencers will note all kinds of goofy stuff.
    epee does away with a lot of that stuff (no restrictions on targets and no right of way) and the bell on an epee is far more realistic for the sort of fencing you are doing.

you guys also might like using sabres with epee rules (of course allowing sabre cuts as well.)

when i stopped fencing, i was trying to come up with a sabre ruleset that would keep it fun. this is what i came up with:

gear: mask, glove, shorts, cup (no shirt), shoes allowed (i think my original idea was for cleats for extra traction)

played on a grass, level playing field, in a large circle (20' diameter maybe more) with the number of points bumped up to 10, and no time limits.

points would be awarded as follows: 1 for a touch, 2 for a welt, and 3 for drawing blood.

none of my friends wanted to play. too bad bullshido didn't exist yet (it was 1989) nowadays i'm not that crazy anymore, and don't feel the need to get any more scars or injuries.

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 4:24pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gof I hated pistol grips, my coach wouldn't let anyone use a pistol or authopedic grip unless absolutely necessary, so we all used standard grips. I really hated using pistol after years of using the standard grips

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sport fencing....

I was doing epee before I join ARMA...the only thing I gained is a better estimation of timing and distance...and a little bit of good lunging with the rapier...
    Furthermore sport fencing -besides good exercise-has nothing to offer to the real European fencing arts....because it is a sport!
    It has certain limitations and the hits are more tags and whippings than actual hits .... the weapons are feather weight and they only move in a straight line e.t.c....
    So....besides the above it has nothing to offer!
    It is still an enjoyable sport but not a fighting art in any case!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast