Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 3:35pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pancration in Victorian England

While checking out the WMA links posted on the links thread I found this article on the Historical Pankration site. http://www.historical-pankration.com/article-1.html. Its an article discussing an attempted revival of pankration in Victorian England by combining Catch and Boxing. I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The solution has been to devise a novel form of glove, rather more open in the palm and with room for the fingers to grip securely, yet well-padded across the knuckles."

Interesting...
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that was interesting too. I need to do a little googling and see if I can find out more about this. Obviously it didn't catch on, but can you imagine how different things would be today if it had?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read that article years ago and have tried to research/substantiate it, but came up completely empty. I can only assume that "Neo-Pancratium" never really got beyond the experimental stage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think at least one of the guys involved in the historical pankration group is an ARMA member. I'll inquire over there if anybody has more info or access to the original article. I'd kinda like to see a scan of the original if possible.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 5:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew
    I think at least one of the guys involved in the historical pankration group is an ARMA member. I'll inquire over there if anybody has more info or access to the original article. I'd kinda like to see a scan of the original if possible.
    Good luck, but I've seen the original article - unfortunately, it doesn't offer any more than what you see in this link.

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I do not think that there is an ARMA member involved-since I am an ARMA member myself-in that..
    I come from Greece and so does Pancration!
    the whole thing with Pancration is very hazy here in Greece....I have visited some schools and what I saw was a mix of Karate and wrestling ...not what I was expecting to see...anyway...there is a very good book if you wanna read "Martial Arts of Ancient Greece" by Kostas Dervenis (check at Amazon).

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, much as I've ever discerned, any deeper information about it was lost in the Babbage machine it was stored in.

I do love the idea of it and it seems entirely plausible but there isn't anything to substiantiate beyond the link. At least until that punch card is found...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by templar9 View Post
    I do not think that there is an ARMA member involved-since I am an ARMA member myself-in that..
    the whole thing with Pancration is very hazy here in Greece....I have visited some schools and what I saw was a mix of Karate and wrestling ...not what I was expecting to see...anyway...there is a very good book if you wanna read "Martial Arts of Ancient Greece" by Kostas Dervenis (check at Amazon).
    I think Stew was right - one of the guys in the US doing pancration research is in ARMA (but obviously, the pancration research is his own project, not officially part of the ARMA curriculum).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2009 10:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by templar9 View Post

I found the scholastic value of Kostas' book 'Martial Arts of Ancient Greece' to be a complete minimum, as he hardly references anything he states with regard to ancient literary sources. He is a Trad JJ BB and also does tai chi who has interpreted Pankration as if it were an eastern martial art. My lecturer (who is Greek too) read the bit in his book about how pankration was once called Pammachon because this was the name of the 'martial art version of pankration not the combat sport version' and laughed due to him making the assumption that a Theban version of Pankration in the 4th Century B.C mentioned in Dio Chrysostom 'Pammachon' could somehow become this mythical martial art before the existence of pankration.

Western MA's such as boxing, wrestling, pankration, are all highly practical MAs and are the result of a proccess of trial and error in fighting and sparring, what works is included, and what doesnt is omitted. Therefore any civilisation who has gone through the same proccess of trial and error with fighting and sparring to see what works will come up with the same (if not similar) conclusions. There are only so many ways the body moves and these were found out by many ancient warlike civilisations.

For example, the tombs of Beni Hasan in Egypt, dating to 2000 B.C shows people fighting from guard, half guard, doing kneebars, rear naked chokes, tomo nages, hip throws, single and double legs, triangle like strangulations, knee on belly etc.

http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de...history/01.gif

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/...cc841498f0.jpg

Ill post again giving links when my postgrad study is done so everyone can have a read, but the victorian revival of pankration is interesting, it shows that the interest in NHB fighting has been an interest mankind has had for as long as fighting arts have been around.
    Last edited by rydam; 3/01/2009 10:51pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast