Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are considered declasse by purist/poseurs becasue they make knock-offs of other manufacturers.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 7:53pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    OK.

I am compiling a list of all the negative incidents involving Taurus guns that I can.
    This is regarding a Taurus PT99AF. It is a 9mm semi-automatic. It was purchased NIB in November 2008.

Ammunition: Winchester, Remington and a brand X I do not remember for an expended round count of 200.

Experienced: failure to feed, stove-piping and failure of the slide to fully cycle close.

It was returned the last week in November 2008 and repaired at RBR. It was returned (*edit* to the owner ) the first week in January 2009. Based on the parts list, it was almost completely rebuilt. I do not have a copy of the repair paperwork tp post.

The owner was satisfied with customer service but was unhappy with the wait.

Please note this is not my weapon. While I have handled but not fired the weapon, I called and reviewed/verified the details with the owner before making this post.

Side note. No problems were experienced breaking in the Glock 36.
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 2/15/2009 11:18am at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 10:05am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good stuff, guys.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I have been on several gun forums, and everywhere i go, people hate Taurus. No one really has a specific reason WHY.
    You must visit different gun forums than me. All the ones I frequent have very good things to say about Taurus. On a few, (M14 Forum and Culvers), the gun shop owners and gun smiths have had very positive things to say about them. Based on what I've read, I'm hankering for a PT1911 if I can get my CFO to sign off on it (for some reason, she is uncomfortable with having a handgun in the house with our 3 year old despite the fact that I have enough long guns and ammo to arm a small fire team to hold off a zombie horde for days - go figure).
    Last edited by TEA; 2/14/2009 7:01pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 7:48pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is not with Taurus now, but with rumor spreaders. People assume that if a manufacturer doesn't start off making great products, they can't improve. Well I think Taurus proved this wrong. They make some really good stuff. I've had experience with their 1911s and 27/4/Mil Pro series and have nothing bad to say about either. Thing is, most people HEAR bad things about weapons and then start saying that what they've heard is their experience or that nobody likes them. People like to just eat up the opinions of others. Because of this, Taurus has a bad name because of how they started out, and not because of the quality of product they are currently putting out.

My Taurus Experiences are as follows:

Taurus 1911 (forget the model) rented: Not a single malfunction, fired 200 rounds with nice groups.

Taurus 24/7 shooting-buddy owned: Good pistol, comfortable, no problems.

Taurus Millenium Pro PT140 Father owned: Performs almost as well as a Glock 27. Comfortable grip. Kicks a little hard, but that's what you get when you shoot a .40 in a sub-compact.

Are they my favorite weapons? No, I'm pretty picky! But they are by no means junk.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a Taurus 85 ultralight .38 special around 1998. It was my EDC for 2 years or so... until I noticed that the firing pin was broken. My regular drill was to fire the gun about once a month, and dry fire it a few times about twice a week. At one of the dry fire sessions, I noticed the cylinder would not turn when the muzzle was pointed toward the floor. That was due to the the broken front 1/2 of the firing pin sticking out and blocking the cylinder.
    I didn't send the gun back to Taurus, since I had cut off the hammer spur myself and assumed I had voided the warranty by doing so (pocket carry). Even if they fixed it I wouln't have carried the thing again anyway.
    Last edited by the swede; 2/14/2009 11:38pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by the swede
    I bought a Taurus 85 ultralight .38 special around 1998. It was my EDC for 2 years or so... until I noticed that the firing pin was broken. My regular drill was to fire the gun about once a month, and dry fire it a few times about twice a week. At one of the dry fire sessions, I noticed the cylinder would not turn when the muzzle was pointed toward the floor. That was due to the the broken front 1/2 of the firing pin sticking out and blocking the cylinder.
    I didn't send the gun back to Taurus, since I had cut off the hammer spur myself and assumed I had voided the warranty by doing so (pocket carry). Even if they fixed it I wouln't have carried the thing again anyway.
    Your bad in dry firing the weapon.

That is the hardest thing you can do to a firing pin.

Can't blame Taurus on this one.

Looking forward to buying their 1911 variant sometime in the future. From all reads, their quality has come up over the past years.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe

That is the hardest thing you can do to a firing pin.

Can't blame Taurus on this one.
    Not completely true.

Older pistols don't handle dry firing well.

Modern pistols its not a problem. Which is a good thing because dry drills are a good way to help train your skills in conjunction with going to the range.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 2:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    BS
    I wouldn't do it with an antique (or a rimfire, obviously).
    But dry fire never harmed my Glocks, S&W, or anything other than the Taurus.
    Last edited by the swede; 2/15/2009 8:19pm at . Reason: clarity

Posted On:
    2/15/2009 4:32pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    Not completely true.

Older pistols don't handle dry firing well.

Modern pistols its not a problem. Which is a good thing because dry drills are a good way to help train your skills in conjunction with going to the range.
    +1

Weapons technology has advanced quite a bit. Just like Beretta fixed the slide cracking problem their weapons had, and Sig fixed the problems with the frame on their P226 models, a vast majority of manufacturers have fixed any issues with their firing pins and made them far more durable and safe for dry fire. Many weapons, such as Glocks, often REQUIRE you to dry fire the weapon in order to field strip it. Dry firing hasn't really been an issue for the past 40 years or so in most cases. The reason people still advise you not to is simply because old weapons had this problem and many assume its universal.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast