Posted On:
    2/12/2009 10:42am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taurus Research

OK.

I am compiling a list of all the negative incidents involving Taurus guns that I can. I have been on several gun forums, and everywhere i go, people hate Taurus. No one really has a specific reason WHY. They just do. Either they HEARD about something bad, or they know someone who knows someone who had a bad experience.

I am looking for SPECIFIC incidents with Taurus firearms (Good and Bad) to compile and trend teh data.

So if you got a story, tell it. Include relative dates and how the problem was resolved.

go.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 11:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious about this myself.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 11:33am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 Taurus guns and love 'em.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will say that Taurus has gotten better over the years. One of the first guns I bought for myself from a pawn shop was a Taurus 9mm. Don't remeber the model but it was cheap, which was the major factor at the time I figured a 9 is a 9. I didn't keep it long becuase it was HEAVY and wasn't too accurate. I good shoot it decently enough but compared to my Beretta it wasn't that good. However if I ever had to pistol whip anyone they wouldn't get up.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 11:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The overwhelming response to this question so far has been "they used to suck" which is not the same as: "they still suck."

I post over at firearmstalk, and every time a Taurus is mentioned it's like someone just defecated on grandma's afghan. Everybody says they're bad, but nobody has had a bad experience since the early nineties.

This si why I want the data. I want to know when they stopped sucking so i can pinpoint why and make my case.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 12:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    The overwhelming response to this question so far has been "they used to suck" which is not the same as: "they still suck."

I post over at firearmstalk, and every time a Taurus is mentioned it's like someone just defecated on grandma's afghan. Everybody says they're bad, but nobody has had a bad experience since the early nineties.

This si why I want the data. I want to know when they stopped sucking so i can pinpoint why and make my case.
    Thats pretty much the case. Taurus were shitty through out the nineties and left a bad taste in pples mouth, it did with me. A couple of months back I was browsing guns and saw one an groaned. The dealer said it was good and let me fire it, it shot well and wasn't the doorstop that I remembered. Still I probably wouldn't pick it over some other brands but they aren't the same as they used to be. They definitely aren't as cheap as they used to be.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 6:37pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't actually heard anything bad about Taurus. I used to follow rec.guns almost a decade ago, but haven't really kept up on things. I considered buying one, but wasn't too keen on the 92 design and for a revolver I would prefer S+W.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 12:33am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a snub-nose .357 five shot from Rossi [made by Taurus] and it was a great little gun. No, it didn't lock up as tightly as a S&W, but I never had a problem with it. I'd shoot .38 +p at the range and keep it in the nightstand with .357 SD rounds. I sold it, which was dumb since I got it for a song and it would make a great summer carry piece. Oh well, this isn't exactly what you are wanting to hear, but before I bought the gun I read a lot of the negative press online. This was around 2001-2002 which is after when they got some of the kinks worked out, I'm assuming.

Now I have heard the line of "stick with the revolvers and forget the semi-autos" on multiple occasions, but I'll leave it up to someone who has experience with the semi-autos weigh in on that one. I'm interested to hear the answer as well.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 7:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient
    Now I have heard the line of "stick with the revolvers and forget the semi-autos" on multiple occasions, but I'll leave it up to someone who has experience with the semi-autos weigh in on that one. I'm interested to hear the answer as well.
    That used to be the old truth but now modern semis are just as reliable as revolvers now. The line came about with the idea that revolvers don't jam. They do but just not as likely as semis.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 5:42pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    OK.

I am compiling a list of all the negative incidents involving Taurus guns that I can. I have been on several gun forums, and everywhere i go, people hate Taurus. No one really has a specific reason WHY. They just do. Either they HEARD about something bad, or they know someone who knows someone who had a bad experience.

I am looking for SPECIFIC incidents with Taurus firearms (Good and Bad) to compile and trend teh data.

So if you got a story, tell it. Include relative dates and how the problem was resolved.

go.
    Scrapper,

My father purchased a Taurus revolve from Jensen arms in Loveland Colorado back in March of 2007. He paid 325.00 for it and it is the non- air light 38/357 in stainless steel. It is a 2 1/2 barrel CCW type of gun. Over all I would say the pistol is about what I would expect.

We have shot it several times over the last year (about 1 a week) we have done everything we can think of to get it to fail with no success.

I will say that it is less accurate then his Cheif's Speical, but I would conjecture that you will find lots of fire arms less accurate then the old lemon squeezer.

That is my experience.

Taurus=cheap effective revolvers.

Not sure about their autos.

PT
    Last edited by Planktime; 2/13/2009 5:47pm at . Reason: 38 not 36
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast