Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 2:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am looking for an art that has a good standing/striking game

Ok so i want to to become a well rounded fighter I am currently studying JuJitsu (who isn't these days) I want to learn a standing /stricking art. Muy Thai just doesn't catch me, I don't see any style in it plus it seems everyone in to MMA knows it no surprises I don't know So I am looking at Kenpo and karate--maybe considering a chinese stlye wing chun perhaps (it gave bruce lee a a good foundation). Can anyone make a a good case for any of these stlyes to train in. By the way I am built on the heavierside and natually not that fast. I know I need more speed. Thank You

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:58am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should start up muay thai or boxing and then branch from there. Don't dismiss it out of hand because it lacks 'style', the reason so many mma fighters use the exact same techniques is because they work.

Now by a base i mean that from a year or two of muay thai you can add some TKD spinning kicks, the side kick from Sanda, the footwork of karate and nothing from WC. Using 99% of karate (kyokushin is good) as a base won't work like this since you will need to relearn so much in order to incorporate other standup styles into it.

If this doesn't sound good to you, join the chun and pretend to train martial arts.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 2:42pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on where you're comfortable and what you ultimately want out of your training, straight up western boxing might be the ticket:

If you train at a boxing gym, you'll get a couple of things -

cardio and endurance training is VITAL in boxing. They'll teach you how to get your heart and lungs in shape. As a side effect of that, you will probably lose some weight.

Hand speed, and an ability to see / respond to punches. This WON'T be that great if you're looking for a career in MMA, but boxing skills work on the street. Most guys are head hunters. Boxers know how to protect their heads. You say you're slow...boxing will help.

Footwork - another key boxing skill. You WILL have to modify your footwork if you're in an MMA or kickboxing match, but you'll speed up, learn to stay light on your feet, and learn how to use angles. All in all excellent skills.

Think of boxing as one layer of skill you will be adding to your repertoire.

Mainly, though, you should interview at a couple of schools that you think you'd like - talk to the instructors about what you want from your training. Whichever fits best - sign up and get started!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you studying jujitsu or jiujitsu? japanese or brazilian?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing.

BTW Bruce Lee created JKD because his Wing Chun foundation wasn't working.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 3:40pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aspringerprov17
    Ok so i want to to become a well rounded fighter I am currently studying JuJitsu (who isn't these days) I want to learn a standing /stricking art. Muy Thai just doesn't catch me, I don't see any style in it plus it seems everyone in to MMA knows it no surprises I don't know So I am looking at Kenpo and karate--maybe considering a chinese stlye wing chun perhaps (it gave bruce lee a a good foundation). Can anyone make a a good case for any of these stlyes to train in. By the way I am built on the heavierside and natually not that fast. I know I need more speed. Thank You
    I'm not sure why you would dismiss MT. One of the reasons for its popularity is due to its effectiveness.

Kenpo is a mixed bag. There are some good Kenpo/Kempo schools, it's just hard to find them under the huge pile of crappy ones. If you do go this route check out a few classes before you sign-up for anything. Make sure they actually spar, as opposed to point sparring, regularly. Check out some of the threads in this section written by people with far more knowledge about this then me.

If you want karate, look into Kyokushin or one of its derivatives. A lot of karate dojos have the same problems as the Kenpo ones.

If you you want effectiveness in your style of choice I would say that it's highly unlikely that Wing Chun is going to give you that. This site is filled with people who lament about the years they have wasted on Wing Chun.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how everyone responded rationally to the guy blatantly trolling. I tip my hat to this though, as it shows a mature reasoned tone to this forum.

But for the record..
    • Claims Muay Thai has no style/technique - check
    • Claims to be studying Jujitsu/Jiu-Jitsu as this usually gains posters elsewhere on this site immediate acceptance - check
    • Citing Bruce Lee as an example to aspire to - check
    • Citing Wing Chun giving Bruce Lee his foundation/skill - check

Just a few of the red flags that went off on my "is it a troll?-o-meter"

But assuming this is a legitimate thread/question, I'd suggest taking note of what the others said above.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a bit of the "troll" vibe as well, especially with the Bruce Lee Wing Chun stuff, but I was willing to accept the OP as serious because I just get so damned excited when this section of Bullshido actually gets a new thread.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually this:

Quote Originally Posted by aspringerprov17
    Finally after a long discussion with God, HE thought it was a good idea to pursure Martial Arts.
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Hi fresh meat just walked in the butcher shop.

should have given you a troll-vibe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Actually this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...17&postcount=1

should have given you a troll-vibe.
    Where the hell where you when I was writing out my mature, well thought out post?!

Guess that will learn me to check someone's post history before responding.

P.S.
    I tried talking to God about FMAs but he just responded with, "Is that the one with the sticks?", so I gave up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast