Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 8:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Dog Brothers don't seem to have a problem.
    My impression was that the Dog Bros only go outside for their Gatherings once in a while (every six months?), and train indoors the rest of the time. I have nothing to back this up, however.

But I would have a problem finding such a mystical grassy knoll that is well-lit, no overzealous LEOs or grannies, accessible and free from detritus. My teacher's dojo started being just that--go in the back of a college field, do karate without getting harassed--but it doesn't work forever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 12:07pm

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    My impression was that the Dog Bros only go outside for their Gatherings once in a while (every six months?), and train indoors the rest of the time. I have nothing to back this up, however.

But I would have a problem finding such a mystical grassy knoll that is well-lit, no overzealous LEOs or grannies, accessible and free from detritus. My teacher's dojo started being just that--go in the back of a college field, do karate without getting harassed--but it doesn't work forever.
    Same here in Greece.

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA with weapons:qgaraduat:5bye:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 6:41am

Style: WMA - German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There a difference between carrying a stick in public and a 36" two handed sword. People tend to run in panic when they see the swords coming out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    There a difference between carrying a stick in public and a 36" two handed sword. People tend to run in panic when they see the swords coming out.
    Not really, I've got a video of two of my buddies going at it with blunts, shields, mail and helmets, for a few minutes. In the middle. Of an open park.

People just tend to gawk awkwardly, mostly, but the real issue is when they come up to you and start asking questions, being smartasses, or even telling you to run off or they'll call the police (no I haven't had the last one yet).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 7:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    Not really, I've got a video of two of my buddies going at it with blunts, shields, mail and helmets, for a few minutes. In the middle. Of an open park.

People just tend to gawk awkwardly, mostly, but the real issue is when they come up to you and start asking questions, being smartasses, or even telling you to run off or they'll call the police (no I haven't had the last one yet).
    In the UK, you'll be in real trouble. Mind you we get raised eyebrows when we train in the sports centre. Our hall is now across the road from the main anti-terrorist unit in Scotland so if they want us they know where to find us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the UK, you'll be in real trouble. Mind you we get raised eyebrows when we train in the sports centre. Our hall is now across the road from the main anti-terrorist unit in Scotland so if they want us they know where to find us.
    Here in greece, it depends on the individual policeman. Some will ignore you, some will find you funny, some will arrest you. Really random. There's no official legislation about stuff like that here anyway.

Heh, right under their very noses :p By the way, I thought England was full of little reenactment and WMA groups...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus_dallas View Post
    Here in greece, it depends on the individual policeman. Some will ignore you, some will find you funny, some will arrest you. Really random. There's no official legislation about stuff like that here anyway.

Heh, right under their very noses :p By the way, I thought England was full of little reenactment and WMA groups...
    Dunno about re-enactment. There are a reasonable number of HEMA groups in England. Scotland has 4 major HEMA groups.

Where abouts in Greece are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno about re-enactment. There are a reasonable number of HEMA groups in England. Scotland has 4 major HEMA groups.

Where abouts in Greece are you?
    Athens. We're only one group here, all ARMA, about 15-20 people plus another 5-10 in a different location, but ARMA still. Out of Athens, there's almost nothing except TKD, Karate, Muai Thai, Kickboxin maybe a kendo school or two.

There's also a group of LARPers, I won't even bother with them. They're supposed to teach the "Way of the Excalibur".

*dies laughing one more time*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 8:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha ha ha yeah we've just encountered a larp group trying to be HEMA. enthusiastic but a little clueless.

Athens is a nice location. I go over every year or two. I'll need to let a mate of mine know there is decent training there.

I don't mind ARMA training, alot of it is great stuff. The books produced out of there is some of the best available. Just couldn't put up with John Clements and his cronies but atleast he ain't Sir Tobler.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast