Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 1:49pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    I was thinking about this - I'm pretty sure I've seen some like foam-core escrima sticks that aren't so damaging. I'd guess for practice / sparring / demos.

Not sure how well the sticks would hold up, but they would be less likely to damage a bag or BOB... Just a thought.

You could also just beat the hell out of a tree, a bull, or that jerk that scratched my fkn car with his door.
    The problem with the foam-core sticks is that the feel of them is vastly different then that of a rattan stick. Padded rattan can be great for sparring but why bother using them for striking an inanimate object like a bag or training dummy?

Sorry to hear about your car.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2009 2:54pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

-i'll definately make sure my edges are rounded, but in my style of arnis (balintiwak) the main emphasis for the striking surface is the tip of the stick.
    Shouldn't it be the emphasis for all styles? Using the tip sounds to me like a no brainer.

Posted On:
    2/20/2009 12:30am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    QUOTE: Whosthemaster
    "Shouldn't it be the emphasis for all styles? Using the tip sounds to me like a no brainer."

You'd think think so but i'm not so sure about that. All I know is that in my style the tip of the stick is the focus for full power strikes. But that's the emphasis of the style I do, other styles may use other surfaces of the stick because they have a different emphasis. But technically it could be said all of the stick is used for striking, the butt- close range(obvious) the part of the stick in front of the fist is sometimes use in disarms, the middle to slightly above the middle for closer strikes, and the tip for optimal full power striking. Not to mention I was just commenting on the fact that someone stated "don't hit w/ the tip very often":

Quote:blindside
    "So you should be pretty safe hitting a BOB with any weight rattan, make sure your edges are rounded and that you don't hit with the tip very often. "

I figure gettin a BOB would be a waste of money if hitting full power w/ the tip of my stick will damage it. THere's no point in hitting something if I can't hit w/ the tip so I guess I'll just stick with tires.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 11:14am

Style: KunTao & Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The worst I've done to mine is mark it up a with the tape I had on my sticks. Looks bad but oh well, also looks like I use it! And I've never damaged it. Hitting different surfaces is good. I also hit my thai bag for power and double end bag to work timing and angles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:18pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've beaten my Bob with a variety of weapons ranging from a kubotan to a Bo with only minor scuff marks. They are pretty solid.

However, I've also seen one after an idiot used a knife on it. (His blade cut through the tape.) I wouldn't suggest following that path for anything except a conversation starter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 1:51pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I figure gettin a BOB would be a waste of money if hitting full power w/ the tip of my stick will damage it. THere's no point in hitting something if I can't hit w/ the tip so I guess I'll just stick with tires.
    Last week I was running the class through series that finished with a power horizontal backhand slash, on my first demo I hit the bob we were working on the cheek with the corner of the tip and put a pretty good cut/divot into the "skin" of the bob. I felt bad about it, it wasn't my bob. Normally when I worked out on it I hit using an area about two inches down from the tip, and it has never been a problem.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently trying to make a stand that will hold 2 vertical tires. My plan is to have 1 tire vertical on top of another tire with a 2X4 going through the middle of the tread of the two of them. I was planning to use a 5gal. bucket w/ quickcrete to support the wole thing but a friend said he doesn't think a 5gal. bucket will do. He thinks it will either topple over or slide around when I hit the tires. His suggestion was to put the whole contraption in my back yard and hold it in place w/ the quickcrete. Does anyone have any other ideas. I don't really want to junk up my backyard w/ this whole contraption, and would prefer something I can push off to the side when I'm not using it. I was thinking using another tire llike the old tetherball stands in elementary school to support the whole thing but i'm not sure how to do this without making a mess (i.e. the quickcrete will run out of the bottom of the tire while i wait for it to dry.) Suggestions?

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I came up with.

1 2x4, 2 tires, 1and half bag quickcrete, garbage can cut to size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0679.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	10046  

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2009 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Battery Operated Boyfriend?
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 3:00pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    I was thinking about this - I'm pretty sure I've seen some like foam-core escrima sticks that aren't so damaging. I'd guess for practice / sparring / demos.

Not sure how well the sticks would hold up, but they would be less likely to damage a bag or BOB... Just a thought.

You could also just beat the hell out of a tree, a bull, or that jerk that scratched my fkn car with his door.
    Those foam-core sticks are actually pretty weak. I've broken them before.

This is what I came up with.

1 2x4, 2 tires, 1and half bag quickcrete, garbage can cut to size
    How did you get the tires to stay up on the 2x4?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast