Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 9:55pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know nearly as much about wma as I do asain ma but i'm excited to learn more as the forum progresses. Seems to me most modern wma has a modern sport based approach w/ "kombat" applications. Which has many advantages over asn ma. 1st, I haven't heard the "my ma is to deadly to compete" argument from any wma as of yet= +1 for wma!

MMA which seems to have gained most of its popularity from the western hemisphere (including vale tudo ect.) is more accepting of other arts readily using what works, while other tma stick to dogmatic roots handed down for generation by those who haven't used the art in the same way as those who designed it.

Bottom line wma (at least modern wma) to seems like it's classified or at leat benefits by it's trial and error -use what works for sport & apply it to the street approach. My 2 cents!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Bartitsu, while not totally ancient, is still pretty old and English. That should totally stay.
    I agree, but if we were to split hairs, although Bartitsu was founded in England, by an Englishman, major aspects of the art were Japanese (Shinden-Fudo Ryu jujitsu and a couple of other JJ styles). The proportions were probably 40% jujitsu, 30% French/Swiss stickfighting, 20% Barton-Wright's adaptations of scientific boxing and savate, and 10% "other" (European wrestling styles, generic street fighting tricks, etc.)

That said, we seem to be reaching the consensus that common sense should dictate which forum a particular style/topic should fit into.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 8:35am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its sad that WMA = critically thinking, and AMA = "do what the guy before you did, and don't ask questions"

If we're going by that logic, then my style is a WMA.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 9:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy
    MMA which seems to have gained most of its popularity from the western hemisphere (including vale tudo ect.) is more accepting of other arts readily using what works, while other tma stick to dogmatic roots handed down for generation by those who haven't used the art in the same way as those who designed it.
    Not strictly true. They're pretty big on combat sports in Japan, MMA had a following there before most people in the US even knew what it was. And you really can't find a more pragmatic style than muay thai, as far as striking is concerned.

If anything, bullshit mysticism and adherence to "tradition" seems to be more pervasive in western practitioners of eastern martial arts, than in eastern martial arts themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 9:55am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Not strictly true. They're pretty big on combat sports in Japan, MMA had a following there before most people in the US even knew what it was. And you really can't find a more pragmatic style than muay thai, as far as striking is concerned.

If anything, bullshit mysticism and adherence to "tradition" seems to be more pervasive in western practitioners of eastern martial arts, than in eastern martial arts themselves.
    Bingo. Got there before I could.

Eastern Martial Arts as practiced by serious eastern martial artists can be some pretty badass stuff. But there's a lot of BS that was taught to Westerners on purpose. Shitty tactic, but I can't blame it totally.

A friend once went to Japan and asked a karateka how many belts they had. He merely replied "two, white and black".

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 10:04am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson
    I think its sad that WMA = critically thinking, and AMA = "do what the guy before you did, and don't ask questions"
    We've already moved past that. It looks like we're going with a "we'll know it when the moderator sees it" approach. And by moderator, I mean DdlR.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 10:05am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone heard of WMA BS being taught to Easterners?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 10:11am

Style: ARMA Scholar, Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know of WMA BS taught here in Greece. I can give you a full report if you'd like, totally hilarious.

Long story short, I contacted Mr. Zanini of Nova Scrimia to let him know some moron was claiming to teach their curriculum to unsuspecting folk. He was surprised but very helpful.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 8:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach Sambo to unsuspecting Asians...ahem.

unlike many AMAs (AFAIK), Sambo was a product of State decree rather than family lineages. Much of the research was conducted in laboratory settings. Very Western in that respect.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 7:10pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured someone would prove me wrong - odysseus_dallas & Lu Tze

But that's what this site is all about. Sharing knowledge & calling people out (to name a few.)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast