Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 3:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's like any other flexibility thing .. Work it enough and you will be able to do it. Unless of course you have an injury that prevents it.

As someone said, start sitting up on your heels. If that's no problem try crossing one foot over the other - not a proper seiza but it will lift you up a bit making it easier. When that is no problem start proper seiza.

In Aikido and Judo, we were always sitting in seiza. I could sit for several minutes without much discomfort. Now that I only do BJJ I can't do it at all, although other areas of flexibility have improved.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 3:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: When you reach a "dead stop", is it because your hamstrings are pressed firmly against your calves, or is it something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 3:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still have never got the hang of real seiza with the toes curled, but if I point my toes straight back my ass touches my heels. It just came time and stretching, it was one thing I did daily for a few weeks.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree it is difficult. I takes awhile to get used to. I wouldn't worry too much. What helped me is to sit in seiza during commercials. Try and see if you can sit for one commerical and try to add another one when you feel ready. You can also try for a minute or two before work.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 6:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also ask if you can sit anza (agura) as opposed to seiza. Some places may not have a problem with this.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glutes, quads, lower back and, believe it or not, shin/ankle flexibility. Work on those until you get into the seiza position.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 7:11pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear ya. I can get there, but I cramp almost immediately. And it's not just sitting seiza, the lack of flexibility screws up my guard top game something awful. I'm working on it, but it's going very slowly.

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 8:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little bigger than the OP and had trouble with that as well. I can do it now but I certainly wouldn't classify the experience as comfortable. Try doing it when your watching TV at home (start with the commercial breaks, 2 minutes at a time). If you realax a little bit you may find yourself settling down into it. Ultimately I'm not sure it's that important, there are asskickers all over the world who don't have know what the hell seiza is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 9:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I think I'll do (and just tried with great success) is put 2 pillows in between my feet and butt. I'll then see if I can gradually remove one and then the other. If this doesn't work after a month or so, and I see no improvement, I'll know that it's not my flexibility, and I'll probably post about this again in the Health and fitness section and see what kind of answers I can get.

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 10:21pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quote:I'm 18, about 6'2, 215-220lbs, and very out of shape. Now, it could be that plus me being really inflexible, and if that's the case, let me know. I've never had some major injury or was in gymnastics or something. But I did have Osgood Schlatter's when I was younger from growing too quickly. My knees bugged me throughout middle school and most of high school, but were never diagnosed with anything more severe.

Your flexibility probably has a lot to do with it. If you can improve your flexibility(hams & calves) your seiza will probably improve.

Osgood Schlatter's is a reault of your large patellar tendon causing your tibial tuberosity to detach from the tibia=kneecap tendon pulls a small peice of the upper shin bone away from the rest of the bone(painful). I've only heard of this occuring in younger very active (mostly) boys(10-15yrs.) as a result from being active and having younger softer bones- not growing too fast. Were you pretty active as a child? If not, are you sure you had osgood schlatter's disease and not something else congenital(inherited)? If it's osgood schlatter's you should be fine by now and ok to stretch. If it was something else stretching may not be a good idea w/o seeing a doctor.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast